August 25th, 2012

Exclusive CNN Photos: Sanford engaged to Argentinean girlfriend

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford is engaged to his longtime Argentinean girlfriend, Maria Belen Chapur.

A source close to Sanford provided pictures of the couple, along with a statement from the former governor, to CNN exclusively.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

– Follow Peter Hamby on Twitter: @PeterHambyCNN

"Yes, we are engaged, and I’m both happy and excited for what that means,” Sanford said in the statement. “I have long expressed my feelings for her, she’s a wonderful person. My closest friends have met and love her, and I look forward to introducing her to still many more that have yet to do so."

News of Sanford's proposal was first reported by Clarin, a newspaper in Argentina.

Filed under: Gov. Mark Sanford • Mark Sanford • South Carolina
  1. ValarMorghulis

More good news for the Republicans who drone on about family values.

August 26, 2012 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  2. Today

Why is this important?

August 26, 2012 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  3. KlingonMami

I still prefer Mr. Sanford to who is occupying the Governor's Mansion now. Personal flaws aside (he shouldn't have cheated but divorced his wife instead and not embarrassed her), as a South Carolinian I appreciated his Libertarian sensibilities and his ability to put the people first.

August 26, 2012 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  4. steve

A states ex-governor got engaged. Why would any of us care?

August 26, 2012 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  5. Nicole

Good for him. I hope he moves on with his life and they are very happy together.

August 26, 2012 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  6. James McGuffee

Why is this news? I understand why it is news when a sitting governor disappears and is in a place different from where he claimed to be. However, why would I care what Mr. Sanford is now doing? I don't wish him any ill will but, frankly, I just don't care.

August 26, 2012 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  7. Anonymous

Are you kidding?

August 26, 2012 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  8. enuff

Wait... what's in it for her?

August 26, 2012 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  9. Denverdriver

So, for their honeymoon, will they go hiking on the Appalachian Trail?

August 26, 2012 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  10. Maria

Good for him. It is love. They seem to be happy. I"m happy for them. She is pretty too.

August 26, 2012 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  11. Rob

Congratulations! Ummm...why is this news? Slow day CNN? My niece...cute kid by the way, rode her first 2 wheeler without training wheels yesterday. I expect your camera man soon.

August 26, 2012 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  12. jim atmad

Mark Sanford is one creepy dude.

The C Street 'Family' that he hung out with is as disgusting a group of freaks as exists in American politics.

During his 'hiking the Appalachian Trail' (running down to South America to canoodle) debacle, he displayed a level of emotional maturity that most of us leave behind some time in high school.

And this guy was a governor?!?

August 26, 2012 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  13. jamest

No wonder this guy went AWOL from his wife!

August 26, 2012 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  14. .

Good job, CNN. Now let's hear the truth about Obama economy.

August 26, 2012 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  15. Happily Independent

Sanford is a sad case. His wife and kids did not deserve his selfishness He is an embarrassment to South Carolina. He epitomizes what is wrong with politics and politicians nowadays. Today politicians are so self-absorbed with themselves and their own ambitions that the citizens are an afterthought

August 26, 2012 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  16. Rosa, b'ham al

Good for him. I am glad he finally gets to be with his soul mate. Too bad he had to hurt so many people on the way.

August 26, 2012 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  17. johnharry

I wonder how much tax payer money was spent on this engagement. Nikki is a much better governor for the people of South Carolina.

August 26, 2012 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  18. Dan

slow news day?

August 26, 2012 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  19. FedUp

Who cares? This guy is all washed up. He is a has been politician. Why is this news? Another cheating politician? Nothing new there.

August 26, 2012 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  20. Kelley

I am very happy for both of them. He has obviously loved her for a long time. Congrats to you both.

August 26, 2012 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  21. T'sah From Virginia

The only bad part about this true love story is the fact that Sanford went about it the wrong way; on top of that, he LIED!!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted way Forward!!

August 26, 2012 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  22. Carol

I hope she is worth all the pain u caused your REAL family, your sons are better off without you. I've always said, If you give someone long enough, they will show you who they really are. And you certainly did just that. She is going to DUMP you one day. You cant take something bad, and make something good out of it. How could ANY woman be worth losing the love and respect of your sons? I wish you the pain you have caused others>

August 26, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  23. alyarby

Just another woman happy and willing to cheat with some other woman's husband. Maybe Mr. Sanford's friends "love her," but who cares - just another person who doesn't value the sanctity of someone else's marriage and cares only about herself. Just like her new husband. NON-news at its best.

August 26, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  24. tcaros

She looks like him with long hair.

I wonder if he noticed that. Also, those south american women will do anyone for a green card.

August 26, 2012 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  25. Willie Floyd

Our current gov., Trikki Nikki, is just as bad as Sanford, only in different ways!

August 26, 2012 08:42 am at 8:42 am |