August 26th, 2012

Romney on faith, family and private life

(CNN) – It is a side of Mitt Romney the public often does not see - opening up about his faith, devotion to his family and his work as a Mormon overseas missionary and later church leader at home.

In a rare discussion of these topics, he described to CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger his 2½ years as a teenager serving as a church missionary in France. He said that period helped "ground my relationship with God" and cement his beliefs.

Tune it to CNN's documentary "Romney Revealed: Family, Faith and the Road to Power," with Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger, debuting Sunday night at 8 p.m. ET on CNN.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. cc Diane

I want to read an article titled: "Romney on business background, laws and lobbying, and private tax decisions". Romney is thrilled to discuss his faith, family, and private life, because those things have nothing to do with his business or political background.

I want to know how the man acted OUTSIDE of his church and home. I don't care about his mission–unless he plans to enforce the Mormon mission requirement on the whole country, and I doubt that.

Will any news outlet skip the puff pieces and insist on asking the hard questions? Romney won't answer them, but I'd like to read that interview, regardless.

August 26, 2012 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  2. GI Joe

Very very vague. I wouldn't call that "in-depth". What about the "White Horse Prophesy"? Why wasn't that asked?

August 26, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. Phyllis G Williams

I do hope he agrees with St. Paul in Galatians 1: 6-9.

August 26, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. DRAKE MALLARD

Pat Robertson Says GOP Getting Too 'Extreme' To Win Election

Pat Robertson KNOWS extreme

"I know this is painful for the ladies to hear, but if you get married, you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife, and that's the way it is, period." –Pat Robertson

August 26, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I worked with a girl who fell out of the teachings of the Mormon church because she refused their many years of abuse of she and her children not being free. They kicked her out and she couldn't take her children away from their father, she was born into the Mormon faith. I've also visited a Mormon Temple and it's true that if you are non-Mormon you are not allowed to view all the Temple, just the designated area they allow.

August 26, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  6. Evelene Rice

everyone can enter the temple before it is dedicated . there is always an open house for about two weeks in advanceTo the dedication and explations of what happens in each room is given and questions answered. I would advise anyone to take advantage of this spiritual experience.

August 26, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. WeR4Freedom

I think this is a great thing to do even though everyone has the choice to think and say what they want. Free speech. Good for you Mitt Romney!

August 26, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  8. Louden Swain

The Mormons I know are all great people. Anybody who says otherwise I believe is just jealous of the prosperity that comes with their hardworking lifestyle.

August 26, 2012 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  9. Namejkane fl SEND THE THREE TIME LOSER romney HOME AND MAKE IT FOUR.

You forgot tax returns and off shore accounts ,tax cheat in chief ,go for president of somila or Iran !!!!

August 26, 2012 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  10. Pete

On this bio of Romney tonite will they show how his father sent him to France to teach Mormonism to Catholics in that country as a missionary ,so not to fight overseas in Vietnam,typical republican draftdodger.And how he also went to Harvard about that same time,tell me another so called fact ,where's his Harvard transcripts,they coincide,don't they!!Or how he lied when running for governor of Massachusetts,money does turn heads and mouths shut,the ones that know he's guilty..Or how he asked for waivers on the welfare issue as governor with 8 other republicans and after lying about Pres.Obama doing it,how does Romney know unless he too did it himself right!!Or now making a snide public remark about his birth certificate never being asked for,his father did and he couldn't run for president,ask him about his father George and his five mothers all married to the same father,his grandfather a polygamist hiding in Mexico.He doesn't even recognise his own Mexican roots,his relatives are happy for him but they say he's never spoke to them either,nice family man,ha!!Let's see what family info really comes out and if its honest,as he says he is or just made up to make him more human,mormons are human aren't they??

August 26, 2012 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. gord

mitts middle class starts at 1,000,000 every body below that are servants and should be treated as such

August 26, 2012 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  12. GI Joe

No details. We know he's a mormon and he loves his family. That's all he ever says and thinks it's details.

I don't trust him as far as I can throw a bull by the tail.

August 26, 2012 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  13. Cory Jensen

Claudia, Houston, TX – I am sorry but the group your co-worker belonged to was not the Mormon church. It must have been a break off group. The Mormon church does not kick a woman out and keep the children. That sounds like the crazy Warren Jeffs polygimst group that went to Texas (they are NOT a Mormon group). Every temple that is built has an open house that everyone may tour. Every room is open on the tour. However, after the building is dedicated only worthy members may enter. If you are curious about the temple then go to an open house. They will answer all your questions.

August 26, 2012 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |