North Carolina moves in CNN Electoral Map
August 27th, 2012

North Carolina moves in CNN Electoral Map

(CNN) – CNN Monday turned the important battleground state of North Carolina from "lean Romney" to true "toss up" on its Electoral Map, following the release of a new CNN/Time Magazine/ORC International poll that indicated the race for the state's 15 electoral votes was a dead heat.

The move by CNN comes one week before the Democratic convention kicks off in Charlotte, North Carolina.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The poll, released earlier on Monday, indicates it's all knotted up in the Tar Heel state, with 48% of likely voters supporting Republican challenger Mitt Romney and 47% backing President Barack Obama.

Other polls from other organizations conducted earlier this summer also indicated a close contest in North Carolina.

"It's hard to imagine the perfect storm that helped then Sen. Obama narrowly carry the state in 2008. But at the moment the polling shows a tossup, and both campaigns say their numbers are in the same ballpark as our survey," says CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "That, plus all the attention Democrats are about to give the state, gives us ample reason to move North Carolina to tossup."

"It's a must win for Romney, and even top Obama aides privately say it is a lot harder to see it going blue this time. But Romney can't take it for granted and the poll backs up what we see in the recent ad wars in North Carolina: It's a tight battleground," adds King.

Obama was the first Democrat to carry the state in a presidential election since 1976.

North Carolina now becomes the ninth state CNN considers a true toss up, joining Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, Virginia and Wisconsin. CNN considers Michigan, New Mexico, and Pennsylvania as states that lean towards Obama, with Arizona, Indiana, and Missouri as states that lean towards Romney.

With North Carolina's move to true "toss up," the CNN Electoral Map now suggests Obama leading in states with a combined 237 electoral votes, Romney ahead in states with a combined 191 electoral votes, and states with 110 electoral votes are up for grabs. Two-hundred and seventy electoral votes are needed with win the White House.

– CNN's Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

1. sayer

Fired Up!

August 27, 2012 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  2. Nietodarwin

The GOP is so much more ignorant and scarier than they have ever ever been. Romney and his dog, his taxes, his bullying, his offshore accounts, his outsourcing, his religion, and he STILL has a shot? I'm very happy that Bill Nye came out and took on the nutty creationists today, (don't get this wrong, MANY xstians still accept evolution as a scientific FACT)
    I wonder if R and R accept it, or call it a "theory."

August 27, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  3. Mike Texoma

This is very encouraging. It seems to bear out the trend we have seen over the past two weeks or so. I suspect the Ryan choice, while it may motivate parts of the base, is turning people away as they learn just how radical he is. And I suspect people are a little put off by Huckabee and Perkins flying to the defense of Todd Aikin.

August 27, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  4. fed up

We now have a country that has more than 50% of the people that would rather take then give.Of course Obama will win. We lost the country when we started giving out trophies for participating. Winning doesn't matter. Just give me what I'm owed. Why work hard.

August 27, 2012 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  5. fableanne

Obama's cry for 2012 is "Forward" , Hitler's cry for German Youth, "Forward, Forward".

August 27, 2012 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  6. Isanyonehonest

What I find interesting about this headline is that its a headline at all. Michigan's race according to almost every poll is a tie, however CNN is not putting up BREAKING NEWS or putting it on their banner that this state should be moved from "lean blue" to toss up...why is that? There are a number states that are in a statistical deadheat or actually tied...so why is this a headline?

I would love to hear an explanation, but I believe I'm being naive to think that I would actually get an honest answer from any news organization nowadays.

August 27, 2012 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  7. The Realist

Why is North Carolina now, all of a sudden, a "toss-up"?

For a century or more, North Carolina has been a "Throw Up".

August 27, 2012 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  8. NorthVanCan

Anyone with half a brain knows Obama will win with 51% of the vote. It's the medias job to sell it as if its interesting . We are supposed to be glued to the news channel, because its a toss up? Please, who cares . They'r equally un able to do anything anyway. Its the most stupid show i have ever seen.

August 27, 2012 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  9. Dirty Dan

In response to Sashatree who asked "How could any woman, or any person who RESPECTS women, vote for Romney or ANY OTHER GOP candidate?? "
    Because there id more than one issue to consider before voting. Right now Obama's track record on the economy is not very good.

August 27, 2012 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  10. Anonymous

women rights to kill babys? that sounds like democracy at it's best.

August 27, 2012 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. AntiChrist

Now listen up people. I want the GOP to become the way of life. Mitt Romney is a good man. When he gets into office more people will die and I will have new faces in hell to play with. So vote for the best man. Mitt Romney.

August 27, 2012 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  12. Jamie

I am from NC and will be voting for Obama! Do not like/trust Romney whatsoever. Obama/Biden 2012!

August 27, 2012 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  13. Anonymous

NC OHIO and FL will go Romney..... Obamas record is no good and he s failed.

August 27, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. Log Cabin

The more people learn about Mitt Romney, the more they hate him.

August 27, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  15. Dan

NC was always a toss-up. This is nothing new.

August 27, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  16. SSampson

Why is it that people spend SO much time messing with Obama's name.... OBlame-o – Obombo – Obozo – etc etc....

I can only think it is because many GOP names come preconfigured.... – Mitt, Bush, Dick and Colin... to name a few...

What kills me most, though, is the belief that Obama created the economic crisis ..... that he created the wars.... that he created unemployment..... and the list goes on....

There is plenty of stuff to blame on ANY President....At least try to stick to stuff he actually IS responsible for....

Anyone – ANYONE that thinks any President could have somehow fixed the economy in 4 years – or even 8 years – is fooling themselves.... Even if the GOP held house had not blocked absolutely everything Obama tried, the economy still wouldn't be fixed... We would, however, at least had some indicators to identify the successful and unsuccessful policies....

If there was a magic plan for fixing everything, we would never have an economic crisis – it doesn't exist – anyone that promises you that is full of it...

Time for America to grow up and live in the real world; act like adults and not a bunch of coddled children. If you are out of work, no President is going to get you a job. Deal with it.

We have a long road ahead and two choices in front of us – We work together and recover as a Nation, or we work apart and crumble as a Nation. Personally, I want us to be successful. The more people employed in higher paying jobs is good for everyone. So the next time you buy the cheap toilet paper imported from China to save 10 cents, remember that you are putting an American out of work and therefore partially responsible for the current situation.

August 27, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  17. Travis

How could any woman respect the GOP? Well, a woman who values life more than her own, a woman who realizes a baby is a living thing at conception, and a woman who has enough values as to not take something so precious as a child and throw it away should and will vote for a GOP candidate. I agree, women who will go and stand on the corner and protest a fur coat being made, or rats being killed for the sake of science, or a dog being putt to sleep but fails to see the difference between a dogs life and a humans life, may not vote for a GOP candidate.

August 27, 2012 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  18. The Reason Why CONS Are Behind

The Romney folks should be farther ahead of Obama at this point but the fact is they are not. Why? Because American voters realize

Romney+Ryan = R.R. = RailRoading America's Future With the FAILED Policies of the Past Under Conservatives!

That's why!

August 27, 2012 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  19. mikle

Obama will lose big time. how can anybody vote for Obama ? Lie and broken promises and bla-bla-bla-.

August 27, 2012 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  20. john

it makes me sadder the older i get. I see all you fools participating in this charade every 4 years and you all still do not see that you are being played. I am 80 and I still remember a long, long, long time ago saying "how stupid do these people think we are?" I see that my mistake is not taking advantage of the sheer stupidity that is the American citizen like Romney and Obama has (and the Bushes, Clinton, Reagan, and on and on and on)

August 27, 2012 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  21. Vad

GREAT!!!! Thanks CNN for making voting mindless for me. Now instead of research, political belief and ideology I can just look at the color coded map and know who I am going to vote for just based on where I live. So why should I bother.

August 27, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  22. NOTUNDECIDED

Now I see why these boards filled with so much hate..... foxnews doesn't allow comments.

August 27, 2012 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  23. eddie

I would bet my life savings that Romney wins NC and Virginia. These small polls don't take the poll of the state.
    I cannot say the same thing about WI or Michigan. Those states will be far closer in vote count than NC or Virginia.

August 27, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  24. Jordan Feldman

Romney won't do any good for this country. Obama is a down to earth President and represents us well.

August 27, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |