August 28th, 2012

Ron Paul supporters put dent in unity at GOP convention

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - The always-vocal supporters of Ron Paul made one final push to support the Texas congressman's bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination Tuesday, and in the process made their displeasure at the GOP establishment known as official proceedings at the Republican National Convention got underway.

Paul's supporters shouted and booed when rules were adopted as part of the Republican Party's official platform that would hinder the kind of grassroots campaign that carried Paul to the national convention.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The booing turned to cheers, however, when Paul stepped out onto the convention floor. Shouts of "let him speak" broke out from his supporters, who are fervently loyal to the libertarian congressman who is making his third and, he says, final bid for the presidency.

When their candidate received any delegates in the state-by-state roll call, Paul's supporters delivered loud cheers. However, convention organizers ultimately made a decision to stop calling out the Paul delegates.

More: Paul supporters protest through convention halls

That decision was met with furious cries from Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering. When states listed delegate votes for both Romney and Paul, party officials at the podium listed only the votes assigned to Romney, who secured enough delegates Tuesday to officially clinch the GOP nomination.

At one point, delegates from Maine walked off the convention floor in protest of a Republican National Committee decision to replace 10 of the 20 delegates Paul had secured in the state. That move prevented Maine from submitting Paul's name for nomination.

"I wanted to see the chairman keep it fair," Tom Bronza, a delegate and Ron Paul supporter from Pennsylvania, told CNN. "I just wanted to see the yeas and nays on the rolls. I knew it would be close. I wanted to record the numbers and wanted the chair to announce it. He didn't. I am disappointed in that. But that's the way the cards fell."

Bronza said the treatment from national Republicans toward Paul supporters had him seriously weighing whether he would vote for Mitt Romney in November.

"The way I was treated here today, I felt like I was picked on a lot by a number of different people, so I'm not too happy about that, and you know, if I was well received and no shenanigans, I would have considered it in November," Bronza said.

Filed under: 2012
  1. cali girl

So ashamed at the GOP. Did not even give the Paul supports any say.

August 28, 2012 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  2. Tee Tee

The Democrats should court the Ron Paul supporters. It would be the ultimate coup!

August 28, 2012 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  3. Dude in Colorado

Not surprising, Republicans stomping and eating their own who don't fall into the locked goosestep.

August 28, 2012 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  4. Larry L

Paul's supporters never "get it". The new Republican Party only uses zeolots for their votes. The actual control is in the hands of a few billionaires who care only about tax codes, environmental regulations to hinder their polluting businesses, and financial regulations to prevent them from playing fast and loose with their money. They don't give a cr@p about social issues or "fairness". You've been used.

August 28, 2012 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  5. sassysticks53

Well what did you Ron Paul supporters expect from the GOP? Fairness? The GOP doesn't know the word!

August 28, 2012 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  6. Celeste

Rest in peace RNC. You chose poorly today.

August 28, 2012 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  7. Anonymous

I've never been so embarrassed for American. Today, what once was a fair, people chosen election has official turned into a crook ran cartel by making bogus rules to strip a candidate of their delegates. I ask the brave men and women in our services to stand for American, the people, and the constitution, and arrest these crooks now.

August 28, 2012 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  8. tina

I guest he was not rich enough.

August 28, 2012 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  9. anotherGDlefty

Well there you go Paulies, they want the Teaparty nuts more than they want you.
    Sorry to see you dumped by your own guys.
    Still plenty of room in the dem tent where crazy is still at the fringes and not setting policy.

August 28, 2012 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  10. Joe Smith

So much for the Republican Party supporting individualism. Get in step or get out.

August 28, 2012 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  11. keef

we are chipping away at the ice berg! another 8 years after more failed duopoly of REP vs DEM and the nation will finally see it the right way!!!

August 28, 2012 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  12. cn

I'm disgusted with the way the GOP convention has treated the Ron Paul delegates. I'm watching now to see if they walk out. Good for them!

August 28, 2012 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  13. Sean

Your vote does NOT count. America is finally finding it's Libertarian center, and the future may not be with the GOP because of fiscal conservatism. Call it 'independent', or whatever- Americans are sick of the traditional lip-serving politician.

August 28, 2012 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  14. DENNA

The GOP are an arrogant bunch. They do not care about Ron Paul and are only hoping to bamboozle his supporters into voting for them. Trust me, if they win, and after the election, you people will be garbage to them. They do not care about you, women, gays, blacks or any of the people they pretend to be courting. If you are not wealthy now, on the day after the election to the GOP you will be invisible.

August 28, 2012 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  15. OilPatch

Time to give it up Ron.

August 28, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  16. Corey

Paul still will get my vote,...not that any news agency would even report on the number of votes he gets.

August 28, 2012 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  17. Don WV

I come from a Republican family, I think I will stay an Independent. I can't belong to either corrupt party! I think I will write in Ron Paul! I can't vote for either criminals!

August 28, 2012 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  18. Mike Buck

Welcome to the Theocracy Empire of America (TEA) Party. Main issues of the Empire; God, Gays, Guns and Gynecology!

August 28, 2012 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  19. Jessie

In all honesty, the majority of Paul supporters are kids on the Internet being "ironic." His supporters actually old enough to vote are mostly lazy stoners that rarely vote, save for on each new Mountain Dew flavor. We all know a man that wants to dismantle the Federal Reserve and make other sweeping changes will never be allowed to even RUN for President, let alone win. Sad, but ultimately realistic.

August 28, 2012 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  20. pkMyt1

Poor Ron Paul supports. They are just figuring out that the GOP plays by a different set of rules.

August 28, 2012 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  21. Jackson

Is anyone surprised? You cannot have your own thoughts in the GOP. If you do not toe the party line across the board, they cast you out.

August 28, 2012 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  22. Romney Hood's a FRAUD

Jon Huntsman would have been a better choice than Romney Hood, too. But, the GOP is no more. They have driven out all of the grown ups - men and women who knew how to get things done in DC. Now, the Tea Party has taken over the GOP. They will bounce out any other GOPrs who do not want to take up the extremist views of the tea party. John Boehner (whose speech tonight was horrible much as his time as speaker) will be out in January wondering what happened! McConnell will be right behind him. Ron Paul supporters need to join the democrat or independent party. The GOP they thought they knew is dead and gone.

August 28, 2012 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  23. Rick

Well the GOP lost my vote today

August 28, 2012 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  24. dan cooper

Etch a sketch nominee. It is very clear that Romney will bring his etch a sketch to the White House. Here is what they did to Ron Paul During the delegate process. They decided to REWRITE THE RULES WHILE THE GAME WAS BEING PLAYED. They had enough delegates to win but they wanted to humiliate and to stomp anyone that tried to oppose them. I am the son and nephew of two U.S. Marines I was born and raised mormon, I have always been a Republican. But I do not trust Romney. They cheated from the beginning and stole Rons momentum from the start. When they lost the delegates they simply etch a sketched the rules. I have no reason to believe that Romney wont bring his ecth a Sketch to the White House.

August 28, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  25. amightys

Time to give it up? You have missed the point,clearly. It is about exposing the weaknesses and failings of BOTH parties.Would love for Ron to have had a true shot,but if this revolution can continue,it is better for everyone. Don't you dare think the Dems are innocent. The two party system is due for an upheaval.

August 28, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |