August 28th, 2012

Ron Paul supporters put dent in unity at GOP convention

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - The always-vocal supporters of Ron Paul made one final push to support the Texas congressman's bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination Tuesday, and in the process made their displeasure at the GOP establishment known as official proceedings at the Republican National Convention got underway.

Paul's supporters shouted and booed when rules were adopted as part of the Republican Party's official platform that would hinder the kind of grassroots campaign that carried Paul to the national convention.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The booing turned to cheers, however, when Paul stepped out onto the convention floor. Shouts of "let him speak" broke out from his supporters, who are fervently loyal to the libertarian congressman who is making his third and, he says, final bid for the presidency.

When their candidate received any delegates in the state-by-state roll call, Paul's supporters delivered loud cheers. However, convention organizers ultimately made a decision to stop calling out the Paul delegates.

More: Paul supporters protest through convention halls

That decision was met with furious cries from Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering. When states listed delegate votes for both Romney and Paul, party officials at the podium listed only the votes assigned to Romney, who secured enough delegates Tuesday to officially clinch the GOP nomination.

At one point, delegates from Maine walked off the convention floor in protest of a Republican National Committee decision to replace 10 of the 20 delegates Paul had secured in the state. That move prevented Maine from submitting Paul's name for nomination.

"I wanted to see the chairman keep it fair," Tom Bronza, a delegate and Ron Paul supporter from Pennsylvania, told CNN. "I just wanted to see the yeas and nays on the rolls. I knew it would be close. I wanted to record the numbers and wanted the chair to announce it. He didn't. I am disappointed in that. But that's the way the cards fell."

Bronza said the treatment from national Republicans toward Paul supporters had him seriously weighing whether he would vote for Mitt Romney in November.

"The way I was treated here today, I felt like I was picked on a lot by a number of different people, so I'm not too happy about that, and you know, if I was well received and no shenanigans, I would have considered it in November," Bronza said.

Filed under: 2012
  1. Mitt Romney Sucks Bigtime!

Dissent (as well as intelligence) is NOT welcome at the GOP Convention.

August 28, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  2. The sheezy up in New Eazy

Beau,
    Yeah, you keep beating that Generational war drum you seem to think Ryan can win on.

August 28, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  3. Clairevoyant

Don't be surpised if Dr. Paul has another trick up his sleeve. He probably fully expected tonight's drama and is now waiting to see how long it takes the GOP to realize they need his supporters. Dr. Paul has been around too long and been up against the best of them to give up. If I weren't such a suspicious person, I would almost say he deliberately goated the GOP into showing their true colors. This country is due for a strong third party to pick up disillusioned voters like myself.

August 28, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  4. Irish Need Not Apply

GOP is a big tent. There is room for all the vast variety of white fundamentalist ideologues from "real" America.

Anti Science, Anti Equal Rights, Anti Women's rights, Voter Blocking, Nominee voter silencing Americans.

August 28, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  5. Lonney

The Republican Party has been hijacked by radicals obsessed with their form of "christianity", unborn fetuses (its a fetus NOT a baby) and whether or not the President was born in this country. Sadly, this is not the Republican Party of 30 or 20 years ago. The Republican Party would fit in nicely in a country like Pakistan or Iran.

August 28, 2012 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  6. TheLostSurveyor

For a party that claims to be inclusive they sure didn't do much to include Ron Paul supporters. Being a Texan and somewhat of an expert on the subject. The statements of members of the Republican Party about being an inclusive group are flat out BS.

August 28, 2012 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  7. Anonymous

thier taking a play out of assads play book if you dont like what thier saying,crush them

August 28, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  8. lnu

the gop are taking a play out of assads playbook if you dont like what thier saying crush em and silence them get em out of the picture

August 28, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  9. Capone

Paul supporters shouldn't be surprised.

The Republican Party is the party of the neo-cons and the Christian fundamentalists. If you are neither of these, you are not wanted.

August 28, 2012 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  10. Claire

RP supporters know that they are going to support the GOP candidate just like they always do. The repub party knows this so they have the leverage. Everybody knows it so they should stop with the silly antics. RP suporters need to shut up. They put on this tiresome act too often.

August 28, 2012 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  11. Casey

They didn't call out Santorum delegates either so get your facts straight CNN.

August 28, 2012 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  12. Loretta b

Sad day in America, I still stand for Ron Paul, he had he best ideas and we are left choice less, I will vote Johnson. The Romneys (them people) will never have my vote.

August 28, 2012 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  13. Cameron

I want to vote Republican, I really do but Romney isn't going to cut it. Seriously!? This is the best guy we could find!? Who is going to represent the Moderate Americans? Great Society Socialism is not the answer. Am I the only one frustrated here? We have the greatest minds in the world and the hardest workers and most dedicated people and all we can find is Obama and Romney!? Something has got to give. Republicans have right ideas and Bad Leaders. Democrats have bad ideas but Great Leaders. How about a Great Leader with Great Ideas!? Anyone?

August 28, 2012 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  14. Cameron

I will be Voting Ron Paul.

August 28, 2012 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  15. Hadenuffyet

They did what they wanted to do to push their man out front. Sounds like censorship to me. And this is the government you conservatives want representing YOU? Fat chance that'll happen.

August 28, 2012 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  16. whatever

I was disgusted by the treatment of Ron Paul supporters at the RNC by establishment GOP. Romney doesn't have the support to beat Obama come the election, and he and the GOP establishment have gone out of their way to disenfranchise not only Paul Supporters but supporters of the other candidates. It doesn't sit well with many voters across this great nation. I will not support Obama, but I also refuse to support Romney. I will vote for Gary Johnson this election and I will encourage everyone I know to do the same. I refuse to vote for another Goldman Sacs president.

August 28, 2012 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  17. Mark

Dave

Bill, the Republican party stands for a whole lot of us. What do the Democrats stand for except for self-interest. Most of the most intolerant bigotted people I know are liberal Democrats. The liberal definition of intolerance is "Someone who disagress with me". Guess that would make you a liberal there Billy.
    ----------------------------------------------–
    LOL, do you even hear yourself? I am no Paul supporter but you speak self-interest and intolerant while the GOP just shushed any dissent. You Sir, are a hypocrite. And as for self-interests, all parties have their own self-interests, you are fooling no one.

August 28, 2012 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  18. T in Dallas

Gotta give it to the Ron Paul supporters...they went down in a flame of glory. I hope that stupid billboard of him along the highway on my commute to work is down by the end of the week.

August 29, 2012 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  19. Kbear

Claire, you don't know the first thing about Ron Paul supporters. We will not be voting for Mitt Romney or Obama. I'm with Cameron, I'm writing in Ron Paul – he's the candidate I choose, not the one who has been chosen for me.

August 29, 2012 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  20. nru

Write in Ron Paul – Mittens is no better for us than OB

August 29, 2012 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  21. Annie

RP supporters need to swallow their pride and give Romney a chance. We already KNOW that Obama wasn't the answer. Why would you let your stubbornness give him another 4 years? At least with a canidate like Romney, who has proven himself extremely successful and driven, we know we would get someone who work harder than ANYONE else to right the economic mess that we are in. I do not think he will fail. We already know that Obama will... because he already has.

August 29, 2012 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  22. Carl

The current Republican party do not want anyone that disagrees with their right wing fairy tale world view. They have been doing the same bait and switch for the last 40 years. They slash taxes to the rich, increase defense spending, and the deficit...well all that really matters is decreasing taxes on the rich. The only administration that has addressed the deficit and reforming social spending was Clinton, a Democrat. Obama has been trying but he inherited one heck of a mess. I think taxes will have to go up for everyone, starting with those best able to pay, and we need to slash spending..

August 29, 2012 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  23. Patrick

I think the current GOP is doing a terrific service in the cause of American education. Boys and girls, now you see exactly what happened to the Democrats in 1860.

August 29, 2012 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  24. max3333444555

GOP can play games now. Too late for an independent ticket.

August 29, 2012 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  25. BIZNESS

Looks like something they would do in the middle eastern part of the world...LOL...My cousin has told me a great deal bout Ron Paul and to see this happen is ashame...I am no Repub but RESPECT is RESPECT...

HILLARY CLINTON 2016...