August 28th, 2012

Ron Paul supporters put dent in unity at GOP convention

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - The always-vocal supporters of Ron Paul made one final push to support the Texas congressman's bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination Tuesday, and in the process made their displeasure at the GOP establishment known as official proceedings at the Republican National Convention got underway.

Paul's supporters shouted and booed when rules were adopted as part of the Republican Party's official platform that would hinder the kind of grassroots campaign that carried Paul to the national convention.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The booing turned to cheers, however, when Paul stepped out onto the convention floor. Shouts of "let him speak" broke out from his supporters, who are fervently loyal to the libertarian congressman who is making his third and, he says, final bid for the presidency.

When their candidate received any delegates in the state-by-state roll call, Paul's supporters delivered loud cheers. However, convention organizers ultimately made a decision to stop calling out the Paul delegates.

More: Paul supporters protest through convention halls

That decision was met with furious cries from Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering. When states listed delegate votes for both Romney and Paul, party officials at the podium listed only the votes assigned to Romney, who secured enough delegates Tuesday to officially clinch the GOP nomination.

At one point, delegates from Maine walked off the convention floor in protest of a Republican National Committee decision to replace 10 of the 20 delegates Paul had secured in the state. That move prevented Maine from submitting Paul's name for nomination.

"I wanted to see the chairman keep it fair," Tom Bronza, a delegate and Ron Paul supporter from Pennsylvania, told CNN. "I just wanted to see the yeas and nays on the rolls. I knew it would be close. I wanted to record the numbers and wanted the chair to announce it. He didn't. I am disappointed in that. But that's the way the cards fell."

Bronza said the treatment from national Republicans toward Paul supporters had him seriously weighing whether he would vote for Mitt Romney in November.

"The way I was treated here today, I felt like I was picked on a lot by a number of different people, so I'm not too happy about that, and you know, if I was well received and no shenanigans, I would have considered it in November," Bronza said.

Filed under: 2012
  1. Jeff

Do we have real democracy in our country now? Tons of campaign money in both sides come from big corporations and super rich? Two parties are working for the same big corporations. They both like big government. The only difference is to spend money for highest bidders who pay for their compaign.

August 29, 2012 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  2. max3333444555

i want to know how many delegates paul had before the gop played games

August 29, 2012 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  3. nostrildamus

I'm not really a Ron Paul fan, but I've appreciated his desire to tackle issues rather than dance around them. The treatment he has received from many sources is quite frankly alarming.

He's been accused of being unpatriotic for suggesting we should ask our selves what we've done to cause so many people to hate us.

He's had unreasonable barriers thrown up to keep him from even appearing on ballots.

Now, his duly elected delegates are told by the GOP brass to shut up.

Glad to see the GOP stands for free speech and the right to petition. (last sentence was sarcasm)

I've always considered myself somewhat conservative, but the lunacy of the GOP these days makes me look like a left winger. When we can't have open and frank discussions, we cannot hope to have a functioning democracy.

August 29, 2012 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  4. Kbear

Former die-hard Democrat voting my conscience, voting for Ron Paul. The only candidate who wants to restore my constitutional rights and bring our troops home and get the government out of the way.

August 29, 2012 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  5. Rob

All you gotta do folks is write in Ron Paul's name on your vote. There GOP deal with that!

August 29, 2012 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  6. Nate

I was a Ron Paul supporter till the end.
    My vote is for OBAMA now.....
    why? I can't support the GOP's views on ALL social issues.
    IF they really kept it to the economy? maybe, but they have their hands in everything they shouldn't and for that.....they will lose this election....AGAIN

August 29, 2012 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  7. changingmylifeonedayatatime

@Claire, I don't know how to tell you how many kinds of completely wrong you are. Many Ron Paul supporters voted 3rd party last election. But go ahead, keep stereotyping people.

August 29, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  8. Jack

I guess that is one way to show party unity.

August 29, 2012 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  9. ANTONY

i will never vote for Romney. now i dont have any choice than vote for obama or stay home. obama have bad ideas but but great leader. paul should have be a great leader and good idears

August 29, 2012 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  10. JC

Take heart Paul supporters....the republicans didn't even want Romney, he was just able to ride a bigger wave. Maybe Romney will still legalize weed for yall. NOT! lol

August 29, 2012 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  11. MarkinFL

Why libertarians are hanging out with Republicans in the first place is beyond me.

August 29, 2012 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  12. Tim

Any vote for Ron Paul is one less for Romney, and in a close race in Florida...that means an easier win for Obama!

August 29, 2012 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  13. tony

So now that Ron Paul is officially not the Nominee, CNN finally allows "Ron Paul" in the comments??? Blackout is finally over. Well, better late than never.

August 29, 2012 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  14. DanW

I am a Dem, but I thought it disrespectful for the Repubs to dis Ron Paul the way they did. The man has good solid arguments that I may disagree with, but he is one of the very few Republicans that I would listen to when they talked. The man has substance and to see him treated this way gives me a much more negative view of the R. party.

August 29, 2012 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  15. Nate

"Who is going to represent the Moderate Americans?"

If you look at Romney's entire record as a politician it becomes clear that he actually is a moderate. He has pandered to the far-right lately because that's what is necessary to get the GOP nomination in this current political climate of extremes on both sides.

August 29, 2012 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  16. Theber

The didn't announce Rick Santorum delagates because he dropped out of the race. Ron Paul never did and it's a shame that they didn't have the courage to call the rolls as required. Obviously Ron Paul didn't win, but the establishment ran scared just because his supporters were vocal in their support.

August 29, 2012 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  17. Eomer

Im sick and tired of Dems and Reps whining about RP supporters. We're the ones who have to put up with the two party candidates that you idiots elect. It's interesting that these hacks you guys vote in are always funded by the same banks and corporations that are ruining this country. We're the only ones trying an alternative approach to the same crap we get every four years: lies and more lies. Don't worry. You'll get your way like you always do. But I've got news for you. The USA's glory days are long gone and you can thank yourself for that.

August 29, 2012 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  18. johhnystop

A Paul supporter – I will vote for Obama who I think is a decent man and much more moderate than he is being portrayed.

August 29, 2012 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  19. Name

The Gop convention cannot change Romney in just one day. They are just throwing gel on duck's back. Americans know the real Romney and no amount of talking would make a difference.

August 29, 2012 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  20. barbraS

They let Santorum speak but won't let Ron Paul? That's such an insult to Mr. Paul and his legion of dedicated followers.

August 29, 2012 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  21. Randy

Well doesn't this just say it all?

"Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering."

With all I've heard from his supporters over the past year, it seems like they should be asking themselves what the heck they're doing at the Republican Party's official gathering.

August 29, 2012 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  22. Dave in Arizona

Wow, so the only true conservative that ran–with the only fiscal plan that actually balanced the budget–gets pushed to the gutter for not playing nice with the crowd. I guess they treat everyone the same that they deem "outsiders". If you don't fall in line, you get pushed aside and your voice suppressed.

The GOP should be embarrassed by this behavior. At a minimum decency dictates that Ron Paul receive the same respect as any other candidate would.

August 29, 2012 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  23. Lib 2012?

Considering throwing my vote to third party at this point.

August 29, 2012 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  24. Observer

Good on you Ron Paul for sticking to your principles and for what you and many others believe to be right. I respect your decision to stand tall in the face of the Republican party machine that blocks out its own for not following lockstep in line with the establishment. Your conscience is clear.

August 29, 2012 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  25. nanaofskyematt

I wish everybody would vote "NONE OF THE ABOVE" and kick all of those sorry worthless politicians out of office.

August 29, 2012 12:56 am at 12:56 am |