August 28th, 2012

Ron Paul supporters put dent in unity at GOP convention

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - The always-vocal supporters of Ron Paul made one final push to support the Texas congressman's bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination Tuesday, and in the process made their displeasure at the GOP establishment known as official proceedings at the Republican National Convention got underway.

Paul's supporters shouted and booed when rules were adopted as part of the Republican Party's official platform that would hinder the kind of grassroots campaign that carried Paul to the national convention.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The booing turned to cheers, however, when Paul stepped out onto the convention floor. Shouts of "let him speak" broke out from his supporters, who are fervently loyal to the libertarian congressman who is making his third and, he says, final bid for the presidency.

When their candidate received any delegates in the state-by-state roll call, Paul's supporters delivered loud cheers. However, convention organizers ultimately made a decision to stop calling out the Paul delegates.

More: Paul supporters protest through convention halls

That decision was met with furious cries from Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering. When states listed delegate votes for both Romney and Paul, party officials at the podium listed only the votes assigned to Romney, who secured enough delegates Tuesday to officially clinch the GOP nomination.

At one point, delegates from Maine walked off the convention floor in protest of a Republican National Committee decision to replace 10 of the 20 delegates Paul had secured in the state. That move prevented Maine from submitting Paul's name for nomination.

"I wanted to see the chairman keep it fair," Tom Bronza, a delegate and Ron Paul supporter from Pennsylvania, told CNN. "I just wanted to see the yeas and nays on the rolls. I knew it would be close. I wanted to record the numbers and wanted the chair to announce it. He didn't. I am disappointed in that. But that's the way the cards fell."

Bronza said the treatment from national Republicans toward Paul supporters had him seriously weighing whether he would vote for Mitt Romney in November.

"The way I was treated here today, I felt like I was picked on a lot by a number of different people, so I'm not too happy about that, and you know, if I was well received and no shenanigans, I would have considered it in November," Bronza said.

Filed under: 2012
  1. Ryan

GOP just lost this independent's vote. most corrupt party...ever

August 28, 2012 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  2. DENNA

Beware all of you GOPers who think Romney will "save" you from President Obama. Be careful what you wish for – you might get it. If you are sitting in your underwater, mortgaged house today, you will still be there on November 7 even if Romney wins. I would feel a lot better about him if he would be more specific about his plans for our economy. Between his oily smile and Ryan's creepy eyes, I have a really bad feeling about this ticket.

August 28, 2012 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  3. kjc

@ Jessie
    Well then let's just stick with the status quo then. It's working really well for us. Let's always assume change will never prevail. Negativity doesn't help. Even if his supporters were "lazy stoners who rarely vote" (a ridiculous blanket statement that is completely inaccurate) it says something about Paul if he can actually get Dissaffected voters to show up and participate.

This convention is a disgrace to democracy everywhere. At least we have people like the Paulies to fight this kind of tyranny and try to change everything for the better.

August 28, 2012 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  4. cashmeremafia

Sad, but not surprising. On the one hand, you hear Republicans talk about freedom, then on the other hand.......

August 28, 2012 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  5. Juanita

The GOP and the Dems...just the same! What a shame! I will vote with my feet in November. I don't want to stay and see the coming Fall of America!
    Juanita

August 28, 2012 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  6. general

gop lost my vote

August 28, 2012 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  7. Grinning Libber

The GOP is all about f a s c i s m so nobody should be surprised. Just follow orders!

August 28, 2012 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  8. Justine

Does anyone actually care? The guy wasn't going to win the nomination. The delegates' votes were just a formailty.

August 28, 2012 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  9. DoubleW

You were expecting democracy, maybe? Not from these people.

August 28, 2012 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  10. I'm done. Independent voter now.

GOP lost my vote as well. I don't know how average citizens can vote for this party anymore. I can't believe how the party has changed for the worse.

August 28, 2012 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  11. Floyd from Illinois

My parents were Goldwater Republicans. I voted for every Republican up to Shrub's second run.

No more. This is Nazi Party tactics, it has no place in America.

Shame on the GOP.

August 28, 2012 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  12. Joey Ray

This GOP RNC is a disgrace to our country and our four fathers. If this is such a so called "free" country? where's the freedom? because I don't see it. I"m truly embarrassed of the outcome and the way we are heading in politics, the world is laughing at us while we just bend over and take it like a bunch'a panzis. There has been sooo much corruption and sly fullness going on in this election it's obviously scripted, its ridiculous. "We Built It"....seriously...the last thing we need in office is another billionaire "Ponzi" Schemer (Look it up for your self, Romney is directly involved) only in it for the profit of him self and his business partners. I guarantee if Romney gets elected...we will be seeing little to NO positive progress in our countries economy... just as we have with Obama. I for one, am writing Ron Paul in for my vote, regardless of whats on the ballot. RON PAUL!!

August 28, 2012 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  13. Vince

Ron Paul will never be president....EVER.

August 28, 2012 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  14. Mr howdy doody

Ron Paul is the true best Republican candidate this year but he is also probably the death knell of the Republican party as it has been over the past twenty five years. This party is horrifically CORRUPT! They did everything they could to derail Paul even though he was the only one telling the truth about what needs to be done for the nation to get stronger. It was honestly as IF RUPERT MURDOCH HAD COMPLETE CONTROL OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY WHEN DEALING WITH RON PAUL....for this reason, I think this party is OVER! Something else is going to replace it I think after these elections...I dont think the party as it is can carry any more weight with the majority of people who think of themselves as Republicans these days....though the party may remain as the "Republican" party in name, it will probably have to change in substance....in large measure because of RON PAUL....and his insistence on TRUTH and the CONSTITUTION as the Foundation of the nation.

August 28, 2012 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  15. Nathaniel Ryan Hamrick

To me, it's not a matter of the GOP losing or gaining votes, or the Democrats even existing.

The Democratic party, since its historical renewal, has always been a terrible party...
    and the Republican party, since its entire existence, has always been subject to tainting.

America is dying from lack of financial stability and destruction of mom&pop businesses.
    Meanwhile;
    The Republicans are full of rich self-interest people who gripe about the welfare of the wealthy, and who undermine mom&pop businesses to establish their monopolies through political means - ruining the country. The Democrats likewise, lop the mom&pop businesses right under the Republican flag and attack it blindly because they don't understand the necessity (due to their blind lack of economic understanding) - ruining the country.

The end result is you have two God-awful parties ruining your homeland, The United States of America.

Two parties? Divided states of America. If everyone had a voice, like the Ron Paul people seek - your country would prosper. This is a country where those with gold at home are speaking and silence, the supposedly golden, is brutally enforced upon the weak.

Your nation is dying quickly and only through patriotism can it be revived. Ron Paul, at the very least, was a figure head for that and supplemented the people, causing them to speak uncontrollably and bring passion back to your politics.

If you do not destroy one if not both Democratic or Republican parties now, everything your parents and recent ancestors enjoyed, loved, and saluted will perish as you sell your land for the price of being a lazy, hope-filled, idle-minded simpleton who doesn't even know which affiliation your local fire department serves politically.

Helplessly dependent in a nation which lacks its own declaration of independence.

THAT is your future.

I will be voting RON PAUL 2012.
    -Nathaniel R Hamrick from "Alabama the beautiful"

August 28, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  16. Klw

Sure Ron Paul should get his delegates read out loud and everything, but seriously, no candidate who wants to virtually dissolve the government piece by piece is ever going to make it in this country. His views are about as far away from the center of the political spectrum as communism, only in the opposite direction. But don't worry too much libertarians; I hear that Paul Ryan's favorite book is Atlas Shrugged.

August 28, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  17. Rodney Jackson

If Ron Paul is so "fringe" and "unelectable," what is the RNC afraid of?

August 28, 2012 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  18. innocenttruth

And Hillary Clinton will be the first one to critisizes other countries elections...What a bogus democrazy U.S is selling around. What a shameless country! buek!!!

August 28, 2012 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  19. ironman59

Why is anyone suprised that the gop is changing the rules to get their way for their favorite pets. It is how they operate and they can't stand any criticism. They do this all of the time in Congress by changing procedural rules to stall votes on critical legislation. They played "change the rules" for 2 years then blamed Obama for not doing anything.

Be sure to remember all of these backdoor tricks in November. If you vote gop, you will get more of this.

August 28, 2012 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  20. agooyers

Ron Paul 2036!

August 28, 2012 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  21. zooni

Small government GOP who steal the votes of the states that don't vote for the selected puppet of the moment. Sounds like big omni controlling government to me. The party of lies.

August 28, 2012 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  22. Bigboi0569

Why deny Ron Paul if he was no threat. Money talks. Paul was disrespected tonight.

August 28, 2012 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  23. agooyers

Vote for the Libertarian Party.

August 28, 2012 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  24. IndependentMind

Well, fellow fiscal conservatives, you just sealed my vote for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate for President of the United States of America.

August 28, 2012 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  25. Bigboi0569

Paul is a patriot....my party stinks. Will not get my vote in November

August 28, 2012 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |