August 28th, 2012

Ron Paul supporters put dent in unity at GOP convention

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - The always-vocal supporters of Ron Paul made one final push to support the Texas congressman's bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination Tuesday, and in the process made their displeasure at the GOP establishment known as official proceedings at the Republican National Convention got underway.

Paul's supporters shouted and booed when rules were adopted as part of the Republican Party's official platform that would hinder the kind of grassroots campaign that carried Paul to the national convention.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The booing turned to cheers, however, when Paul stepped out onto the convention floor. Shouts of "let him speak" broke out from his supporters, who are fervently loyal to the libertarian congressman who is making his third and, he says, final bid for the presidency.

When their candidate received any delegates in the state-by-state roll call, Paul's supporters delivered loud cheers. However, convention organizers ultimately made a decision to stop calling out the Paul delegates.

More: Paul supporters protest through convention halls

That decision was met with furious cries from Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering. When states listed delegate votes for both Romney and Paul, party officials at the podium listed only the votes assigned to Romney, who secured enough delegates Tuesday to officially clinch the GOP nomination.

At one point, delegates from Maine walked off the convention floor in protest of a Republican National Committee decision to replace 10 of the 20 delegates Paul had secured in the state. That move prevented Maine from submitting Paul's name for nomination.

"I wanted to see the chairman keep it fair," Tom Bronza, a delegate and Ron Paul supporter from Pennsylvania, told CNN. "I just wanted to see the yeas and nays on the rolls. I knew it would be close. I wanted to record the numbers and wanted the chair to announce it. He didn't. I am disappointed in that. But that's the way the cards fell."

Bronza said the treatment from national Republicans toward Paul supporters had him seriously weighing whether he would vote for Mitt Romney in November.

"The way I was treated here today, I felt like I was picked on a lot by a number of different people, so I'm not too happy about that, and you know, if I was well received and no shenanigans, I would have considered it in November," Bronza said.

Filed under: 2012
  1. concerned in illinois

I, too am (or at least, was, prior to the last presidential election,) a life-long Republican. I just could not bring myself to vote for 4 more years of that Iraq mix-up (you're right, there is a far more colorful – albeit more accurate – characterization, but is disallowed here for obvious reasons), banking rip-offs (we all can count them), and record oil company profits. Of course, I want the oil companies all in business to compete with one another... or at least that was what I was ignorantly believing until Bush's royal mix-up (ditto) brought me to my senses on that one too ... they're really, honestly competing???, ya, right. As many others have stated, they have become too far right and in the process, too outlandish... very rarely will too far to the right and outlandish get used in the same sentence... but there they are..tisk tisk.

August 28, 2012 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  2. redjacobson

Why in the world did the GOP establishment alienate the 'Paulists' ..... if it weren't for Dr. Paul many wouldn't even be in the Republican camp! I am one of them and now I think time to go with the Liberterian Party and Gary Johnson.

August 28, 2012 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  3. george of the jungle

republican party is run by a few people with lots of money, Forward 2012

August 28, 2012 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. agooyers

Why switch the delegates? It's not like Romney could lose the nomination?

August 28, 2012 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. sandyj

Wisconsin settled for the person who was going to change things...much like Romney, he didn't really tell us what he stood for, just that he was going to bring change. Boy, did he tell the truth!!! He caught all of us with our "shorts down" and we are taking it in the backend. Listen to what the republicans aren't telling us. I want to wish Ryan the same luck Palin had!

August 28, 2012 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  6. Randy, San Francisco

Ron Paul's supporters are naive to think that they would receive fair treatment from the GOP/Tea Party....the party with a very small tent.

August 28, 2012 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  7. Reddog9500

Democracy?? This is no Democracy.

August 28, 2012 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  8. rightclue

I wonder what these posters have to gain by saying "Ron Paul has no chance so why bother?"

They obviously aren't financial elite (you should be sipping martinis at a bar right now talking about world dominatino)

Most likely they are contrarians or just simple folk who are beginning to realize reality is not "what mamma and papa taught me growing up."

August 28, 2012 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  9. Bigboi0569

Not smart at all. I heard a lot of screaming for Ron Paul. I will never vote for Romney

August 28, 2012 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  10. Reddog9500

"Of the wealthy, by the wealthy, and for the wealthy." That's what American Democracy has become.

August 28, 2012 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  11. gstlab3

I's time for a third party or civil war.,

I have'nt decided which it will be yet but either way the two party tyrany has to end., now.

August 28, 2012 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  12. mrburt01

I was a toss-up, independent. then tonight after watching the koch brother laughing with his 60k $ teeth as they shoved their gastopo style tactics down the ron paul peoples throat's, well let's just say that was my moment of clarity. If they would do that to their own, what would they do to me? Game, set , match. pres. obama now has my vote! and I hope the paul people join me. And by the way mr. rand, you gonna sit there and let them do that to your dad? interested in seeing what kind of man you are.

August 28, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  13. Ryan/Romney Kill Medicare Team 2012

Mitt Romney and the GOP big wigs thinks Ron Paul supporters are uninvited guess and should just go home.

August 28, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  14. gjedidiah

If republicans can replace their own deligates because they opted for a nominee that was not popular with the establishment, it makes you wonder if the GOP officials at this convention had any respect for democracy.... actually we clearly see that they HAD NO RESPECT FOR DEMOCRACY!

August 28, 2012 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  15. Clairevoyant

No surprise. The GOP can't afford any dissention – they have a tough road ahead of them. They can't shake off the Bush fiasco, and blocks of voters do not like Mitt – period. Now they have little chance of enticing Dr. Paul's supporters over to Mitt. I'm sure Obama will welcome with open arms the independents, the young voters and disgusted former republican voters. Sorry MittRyan – your platform can't be sugarcoated enough to disguise what you really intend to do – and the only voters who should fear the "cliff" are the 1% – they can't stand to lose money even if it isn't theirs. The GOP should be called the Great One Percent.

August 28, 2012 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  16. JP

Democracy Fail. We'll see who is marginalized in November...

August 28, 2012 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  17. PTBarnumboy

Now boys, can't we all just get along??

August 28, 2012 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  18. JCube

So much freedom of speech...is this the future the GOP have in mind?

August 28, 2012 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. Name Kevin

It is time for the RNC to separate into 2 parties now. There are 2 camps in it now and they just can't live together. That is plain to see. Just my thoughts.

August 28, 2012 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  20. Faith-Isn't-a-Preacher

Go to C-Span to get the RNC Convention.
    The Liberal Media Network's talking heads are drowning out the message.

August 28, 2012 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  21. greg

Welcome to the club, Bronza. GOPers are experts at picking on people.

August 28, 2012 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  22. concerned in illinois

Wow, RNC... listen to this ... an almost universal call to your party to change...we're not all "disaffected lunatics"... we're actually just a tiny, immeasurable speck of the mass of people who are similar-minded in our dissatisfaction of you... oh, ya, and by the way... we're voters!!!

August 28, 2012 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. adam

how could Romneyunite the counntrywhen he couldn't unite his own party

August 28, 2012 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  24. George Miller

As a life time Republican I was very disappointed of the lack of respect towards Dr Ron Paul. Dr Paul didn't have much of a chance but fought all the way and should be respected for that. Dr Paul I felt was the only politician who really spoke for the American people speaking for myself as well as others Im tired of the war in Afghanistan,Naft,loose legal and illegal immigration laws and medical system which is so corrupt and overprice. Due to the arrogance of the Republican party my vote will go to president Obama.

August 28, 2012 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  25. Sharon Mahart

This is an excellent example of why we really don't live in the representative republic our forefathers created. When the "greatest and freest nation on earth" can't count all the votes, what hope is there for any nation to do so?

August 28, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |