August 28th, 2012

Ron Paul supporters put dent in unity at GOP convention

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - The always-vocal supporters of Ron Paul made one final push to support the Texas congressman's bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination Tuesday, and in the process made their displeasure at the GOP establishment known as official proceedings at the Republican National Convention got underway.

Paul's supporters shouted and booed when rules were adopted as part of the Republican Party's official platform that would hinder the kind of grassroots campaign that carried Paul to the national convention.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The booing turned to cheers, however, when Paul stepped out onto the convention floor. Shouts of "let him speak" broke out from his supporters, who are fervently loyal to the libertarian congressman who is making his third and, he says, final bid for the presidency.

When their candidate received any delegates in the state-by-state roll call, Paul's supporters delivered loud cheers. However, convention organizers ultimately made a decision to stop calling out the Paul delegates.

More: Paul supporters protest through convention halls

That decision was met with furious cries from Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering. When states listed delegate votes for both Romney and Paul, party officials at the podium listed only the votes assigned to Romney, who secured enough delegates Tuesday to officially clinch the GOP nomination.

At one point, delegates from Maine walked off the convention floor in protest of a Republican National Committee decision to replace 10 of the 20 delegates Paul had secured in the state. That move prevented Maine from submitting Paul's name for nomination.

"I wanted to see the chairman keep it fair," Tom Bronza, a delegate and Ron Paul supporter from Pennsylvania, told CNN. "I just wanted to see the yeas and nays on the rolls. I knew it would be close. I wanted to record the numbers and wanted the chair to announce it. He didn't. I am disappointed in that. But that's the way the cards fell."

Bronza said the treatment from national Republicans toward Paul supporters had him seriously weighing whether he would vote for Mitt Romney in November.

"The way I was treated here today, I felt like I was picked on a lot by a number of different people, so I'm not too happy about that, and you know, if I was well received and no shenanigans, I would have considered it in November," Bronza said.

Filed under: 2012
  1. Matt

Just Vote Gary Johnson. Most of you agree with him on most issues. It should be a no-brainer.

August 28, 2012 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  2. BCaseyC

He didn't win the nomination, neither did Cain, Gingrich, Bachman, etc... They're not whining... Paul is working against his party, saying he's "undecided", giving a psudo endorsment to a Libertairian Party Candidate... I mean... what do you expect?

August 28, 2012 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. Romney of Bust

What the ronbots don't understand is that we live in a democracy, and when your candidate loses, its time to move on. Stop being brats and get aligned behind Mitt!!!!!!

August 28, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  4. skarphace

Ron Paul was one of the founding fathers of the Tea Party movement. Then they turned their backs on his message of fiscal responsibility and social tolerance due to Koch money and Fox News publicity. They are now soley fixated on social conservatism and are tearing the Republican Party apart bit by bit.

2010 was the beginning of the end of the Republican Party as we knew it. It is now entirely owned by the Tea Party who want only two things: lower taxes for the wealthy and the 'personhood' amendment which would make abortions illegal in every single case without exception.

This is the Republican Party Romney represents. It is not the same Republican Party that Reagan represents. And there is no turning back now.

August 28, 2012 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  5. disappointed

As a 45 year member of the republican party I am changing parties. If the do this at the convention just imagine what they will try after the election. They lost a lot of credibility in England by having the big bankers from Barclay's sponsor big fund raiser. The corruption in the party is out of control. I am done.

August 28, 2012 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  6. Rick

They didn't just kick Ron Paul to the curb, they kicked out his loyal supporters. Good luck beating Obama without us.

August 28, 2012 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  7. Xico_Doce_II

The republican party has failed 30% of it members. They can't even follow democratic vote inside its own party, there is now way they will ever respect anyone.

August 28, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  8. Edgar G Ted Davis

After listening to all the hot air Mrs. Romney is using at her speech tonight at the convention, I'm either left with voting for Obama or writing in Bobo the Clown!!!

August 28, 2012 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  9. Edgar G Ted Davis

I think Paul ought to up and run as an independent like Ross P. did, that would upset the GOP apple cart

August 28, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  10. smdahl

Why is cnn censoring comments for political reasons? I thought this was journalism.

August 28, 2012 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  11. Jim

Ron Paul had the majority of delegates from 6 states and the rules stated that only 5 states were needed for someone to nominate him. When they went to submit the states to the RNC they were then told it had been changed last minute to 8 states. Wow, thats just blatantly wrong.

I won't be voting for Romney and I def won't be voting for Obama. Stop being fooled America, there is no difference between these two.

August 28, 2012 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  12. Repub now Dem

I am a moderate republican who will vote Dem this election just because they screwed Ron Paul. Obama should invite Paul to the Dem Convention and let him have his 15 minute speech.

August 28, 2012 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  13. skarphace

Romney of Bust: so we shouldn't vote for who we want? We should vote for who you want? How is that a democracy?

August 28, 2012 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  14. Ah yes

And here I thought the GOP was against rules and regulations. What hypocrisy.

August 28, 2012 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  15. bergus

wow... they're not even pretending like there's a structured system anymore. at what point to people just load up on ammunition and take our country back. how about the media posts the % of the US population voted for ron paul and then realize how many people the republican party just alienated. nice.

August 28, 2012 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  16. Edwin

I am surprised that the delegates were not given their say. Paul supporters are fervent and loyal, and they do not trust the establishment. I can think of no stronger way to alienate them than to do what the RNC did to them at the convention.

Last cycle, there were loyal Clinton fans, but they were given time at the convention. In fact, Clinton was given a prominent speech at the democratic convention last time. Her supporters were allowed to cheer for her, and her ideas were prominent in the democratic platform. Because of all of that, the vast majority voted for the party candidate in November. I doubt the majority of Paul supporters will do the same this time - and I don't blame them.

August 28, 2012 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  17. winstonsmith

Republicans deserve this... this is how they treat all Americans who don't agree with them, so it makes sense that they treat fellow Republicans this way as well.

The modern GOP does NOT stand for small government. They do not stand for decentralization. These are LIES that they have spread. The modern GOP strives for the biggest most oppressive and useless government possible, so that they may have the keys of power, and anything they say otherwise is a lie. However much you think Democrats are for "big" government, the GOP expands it 5 times as much.

If you are a fan of Paul, then vote for him or Johnson in November, don't vote for Romney. And don't say, "oh this is a strategy to get Obama to win." Firstly, I'm not voting for Romney or Obama and I find the idea that voting for another candidate is throwing my vote away to be offensive to the very idea of liberty and freedom. And secondly, Obama is going to beat Romney. He always was. If we want a change in the system, it starts a step at a time. Obama has won 2012. But what about 2016? 2016 doesn't necessarily have to be a Republican or a Democrat, even if this election is already decided.

August 28, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  18. Ah yes

And so just how much of the GOP promises are going to be broken if the get into the White House again.

Google "National Debt". Check the facts before you vote. Don't believe what someone else tells you. I know one republican who is more afraid of Romney than Obama.

August 28, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  19. Dereck Randal

Welcome to oligarchic States of America. Even the Gods seem to be helpless with the current State of affairs.

August 28, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  20. Ralf The Dog

Has a candidate ever dropped in the polls, because of his parties convention? It is one thing to fire up your base, however, if you turn away the moderate members of your party and those who are in the center, you will do yourself more harm than good.

August 28, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  21. coyote

talk about a highjacked election!

August 28, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  22. Jeff

Well, this is a shame. I may not be a Republican, but Ron Paul and his supporters deserve a voice. It appears as if the RNC has gone too far.

Good luck beating Obama, Romney. You've just lost the group that might have helped you carry the election.

August 28, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  23. Charles

Is anyone really surprised they would do this? If you have time, try researching the 1912 Republican primary process when most of the people wanted Theodore Roosevelt and the party wanted William Howard Taft. Incidentally, this is why I belive the Republican party to be openly anti-democratic and borderline fascist.

August 28, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  24. Wake up People!

Am I the only one that finds the GOP's treatment of the Paul supporters strange? Why would they go to such lengths to disrespect them and Ron? Ann and Willard have been acting like they are guaranteed a win... Then take in account all the voter suppression and this scares me. I feel like I am experiencing deja vu and it terrifies me.

OBAMA 2012!

August 28, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  25. skarphace

Ann Romney: "Romney is the man America needs."

No. Ron Paul is the man America needs.

Romney is the man America deserves.

August 28, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |