August 28th, 2012

Ron Paul supporters put dent in unity at GOP convention

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - The always-vocal supporters of Ron Paul made one final push to support the Texas congressman's bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination Tuesday, and in the process made their displeasure at the GOP establishment known as official proceedings at the Republican National Convention got underway.

Paul's supporters shouted and booed when rules were adopted as part of the Republican Party's official platform that would hinder the kind of grassroots campaign that carried Paul to the national convention.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The booing turned to cheers, however, when Paul stepped out onto the convention floor. Shouts of "let him speak" broke out from his supporters, who are fervently loyal to the libertarian congressman who is making his third and, he says, final bid for the presidency.

When their candidate received any delegates in the state-by-state roll call, Paul's supporters delivered loud cheers. However, convention organizers ultimately made a decision to stop calling out the Paul delegates.

More: Paul supporters protest through convention halls

That decision was met with furious cries from Paul's supporters, who said their voices weren't being heard at the Republican Party's official gathering. When states listed delegate votes for both Romney and Paul, party officials at the podium listed only the votes assigned to Romney, who secured enough delegates Tuesday to officially clinch the GOP nomination.

At one point, delegates from Maine walked off the convention floor in protest of a Republican National Committee decision to replace 10 of the 20 delegates Paul had secured in the state. That move prevented Maine from submitting Paul's name for nomination.

"I wanted to see the chairman keep it fair," Tom Bronza, a delegate and Ron Paul supporter from Pennsylvania, told CNN. "I just wanted to see the yeas and nays on the rolls. I knew it would be close. I wanted to record the numbers and wanted the chair to announce it. He didn't. I am disappointed in that. But that's the way the cards fell."

Bronza said the treatment from national Republicans toward Paul supporters had him seriously weighing whether he would vote for Mitt Romney in November.

"The way I was treated here today, I felt like I was picked on a lot by a number of different people, so I'm not too happy about that, and you know, if I was well received and no shenanigans, I would have considered it in November," Bronza said.

Filed under: 2012
  1. Patriot

Is there no shame left in the once great Republican party?

August 28, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  2. Prepare

The only true candidate in this race. Both Obama and Romney are in the pockets of the same elitists who are playing both sides of the game, so no matter which puppet wins, Americans will lose.

I will be writing my candidate in and that's Dr. Paul!

August 28, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  3. Ranjay

What an American tragedy, the most honest politician of the western hemisphere has no place in the political system of America, sad very sad. This guy practiced what he preached, who does it? Name one politician.

August 28, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  4. Namejane

If The Republican Party were wise they would embrace Ron Paul promise his a top position so as to get all of his delegates over. We are fighting Obama NOT each other!

August 28, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  5. gop usa

Romney and the gop disgust me,I am not voting repub this election and any other election till they clean up their act,the repub party is no longer the honorable party it used to be.The extremistst element has turned the party into a joke and their is no values left in the party....after 50 years I leave the gop.......

August 28, 2012 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  6. Yeahona

I don't know how a Ron Paul supporter could vote for Romney. He doesn't stand for what Ron Paul stands for. They are two totally different people. One stands on principle and the other does whatever the people who he is talking to wants him to do. Even the word flip flop shuns Romney.

August 28, 2012 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  7. Brandon

This is what bothers me the BIG politicians in both parties will squash you if they don't want you. Just to get thier AGENDA done they Alienated Charlie for doing what was right They will DO whatever it takes to squash you. I'm done with Both the Democratic and Republican Parties. You are a wolf in Sheeps clothing. One day the American people will wake up!

August 28, 2012 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  8. Ed

The Paul delegates knew they weren't going to win the nomination for their guy, so most of them were there primarily to be disruptive. That said, the gracious thing for Romney's people to do would have been to give them their time at the mike.

August 28, 2012 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  9. Kwhite

While I am far to the left, I also believe Ron Paul's supporters deserve the opportunity to voice their choice. The fact the GOP is not playing fair is just another reason to run as fast as we can away from the Romney/Ryan ticket. Truly a sad day in America!

August 28, 2012 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  10. Romney of Bust

I blame Paul. He orchestrated this. He tried and he failed. He should have quietly walked away, with a nod to Mitt. Why steal the limelight from Romney??

August 28, 2012 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  11. Prepare

Dr. Paul was the only candidate with a true plan to cut spending.

Obama and Romney have no intentions to stopping wasteful spending.

Another Trillion Dollars have been added to the deficit, Our troops are still at war and constantly being killed by so called "allies" while the government continues to fund terr o wrists in Libya and Syria for the sake of their hegemony

August 28, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  12. Cayman Islands

Ron Paul supporters should insist that he run as an independant, or organize a national write in campaign. For all the loyal Paul supporters the best thing for America is to vote for the man you want, not the man that the Republican aparatchiks forced on you.

August 28, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  13. skarphace

The Republican response to Ron Paul fans should be the final proof that the Republcan Party does not stand for the values that Ron Paul represents. Ok, neither do the Democrats, but at least the Democrats are not attempting to suppress voters who don't fall in line with them.

August 28, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  14. Ralf The Dog

The body of the GOP shut him down, because, they did not think, he was a legitimate candidate.

August 28, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  15. Matt

I'm sorry, but I cannot justify voting for Mitt Romney. I have been a Republican all of my life and voting for Romney would be like voting for Obama. If Mitt Romney was a real republican, and a true patriot, he will not accept the republican nomination come Thursday night. There is no way he can win come November, the RNC has neglected and isolated the strongest, fastest growing, and most vocal faction of the party. For the RNC to nominate a liberal, aristocratic, one term Governor, as its nominee is beyond me. We didn't beat the Democrats and Carter in 1980 by appointing someone who believed in mandated healthcare and who was Liberal: No, we nominated a real Conservative, Ronald Reagan, who led an intelectual revolution, much like Congressman Ron Paul has.

August 28, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  16. No Surprises

They broke the rules to control the election -- it's how they got Bush elected.

August 28, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  17. Cayman Islands

The republicons are suppressing the vote in multiple states, but that tactic is now business as usual to the point where they are using it on their own party members. Or if they have any integrity former party members.

August 28, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  18. txan

GOP seems to stand for EXCLUSION. Exclude hispanics, women, gays, blacks, and now Paul supporters. The election is lost before it begins.

August 28, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  19. adampeart

@ Secularocity who stated: "Jerry: Name one freedom you have lost since Obama took office in 2009. Just one."

My name isn't Jerry but I'll take on your simple challenge. #1: The right as an American citizen to a fair trial (habeas corpus). Mr. Obama, through an executive order, gave himself the authority to assassinate American citizens without trial and recuse himself from any obligation of providing any evidence to his assertions. He has already "droned" two American citizens, one of which a 16 year old boy and has offered no evidence as to their risk. As with any lynching, this is MURDER. What's more he has bestowed upon himself sole authority to indefinitely detain any American whom he sees fit, again without having to provide a shred of evidence of wrongdoing. #2 Fourth Amendment right to privacy. Whether it's the 'naked body scanners' at the airports, or his extension of 'the Patriot act' which allows law enforcement to write their own search warrants without judicial approval, or data mining of individual's personal accounts, emails, phone calls, etc. Mr. Obama has shown himself as a dystopic totalitarian that Orwell could easily write about. #3 10th Amendment assault. Mr. Obama's DEA has robbed Californians, for example, of access to medical marijuana, legalized by the state some years ago, and has crushed asunder and imprisoned operators of dispensaries who were acting legally under California law.

There's three for you.

August 28, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  20. korkea aika

sometimes its not about winning or losing, but about doing the right thing. Why couldn't republicans be big enough to give a nod to Paul supporters? they totally steamrolled them tonight.

August 28, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  21. Dmez

Ron Paul should now head a third party; llegit third party. America needs to do away with a two party system, as it does not work.

August 28, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  22. liberal

It is too bad Paul wasn't the candidate. It would have been a great race as he would have pulled in us liberals with his civil liberties agenda. Good news is that the Greens got on the ballot in my state.

August 28, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  23. Patricia

So is this Chris Christie's presidential speech? I thought he was suppose to be promoting the Mittster!

August 28, 2012 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  24. Dave

Kwhite, I know of an even sadder day in America. It came in Novemebr of 2008 and our children will suffer from it for years to come.

August 28, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  25. Rickyrosstlen

Wow the GOP is just blatantly STUPID.. Easily could have treated Dr. Paul with respect and got his supporters votes. But you disrespect him like that? I'm done with this party. I wasn't thrilled AT ALL to have Romney as our nominee.. BUT I would have voted for him.. Until today... All the rule changing and just plain stupidity was the straw that broke my back. Independent now and will not vote Romney, ever.

August 28, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |