Speech prep: Ann Romney's wisecracks, welsh cakes and wardrobe
August 28th, 2012

Speech prep: Ann Romney's wisecracks, welsh cakes and wardrobe

Tampa, Florida (CNN) – Hours before she was to introduce her husband to millions of voters tuned into the GOP convention, Ann Romney joked to reporters she would present her remarks in a way those obsessed with social media could understand.

"The speech is being reduced to a tweet," Mrs. Romney teased her husband's traveling press corps in a lighthearted conversation on the couple's flight to Tampa.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The wife of the Republican presidential candidate seemed to be working through any jitters with wisecracks and a lot of baking. On the plane, she handed out Welsh cakes made from her grandmother's recipe. She had spent the previous day churning out hundreds of the moist and chewy treats.

Political analysts are looking to Mrs. Romney, who finished writing her speech days ago, to address concerns about her husband's perceived stiffness by presenting him in a more personal, softer light.

She has often played that role in campaign events - reminiscing about growing up with a younger Mitt in Michigan, for example, or recounting how she raised five mischievous sons.

Tuesday night will bring a new level of scrutiny and stagecraft.

"I've never given a speech like this before, but I'm excited," she said.

Less than an hour after she landed in Tampa, Mrs. Romney was standing onstage in the convention hall to familiarize herself with the set-up.

One challenge she may face Tuesday night could be sticking to the scripted remarks.

"I think you will see that my speech is heartfelt, and I think a lot of you have been covering me long enough and you know I've never gone off a written text," she said, laughing. "So this is a unique experience for me, to actually have something written because I've never used it, no one has ever written a speech for me."

Mrs. Romney also admitted she found it difficult to read from a teleprompter - a skill she practiced alongside husband over the weekend.

In the build-up to her highly-anticipated address, even her wardrobe had become a ticklish topic, she said.

"The funniest thing of all is that [Romney strategist] Stuart Stevens, who wears his shirts inside-out, is advising me on what dress I should wear tonight," Mrs. Romney laughed. "So I know I've come really full-circle now."

Stevens worked with both Romneys on their speeches this weekend at their Wolfeboro home. When the couple ventured out to a nearby high school to practice speaking in a larger venue, Stevens was spotted wearing gray capri pants.

Mrs. Romney said she had never expected both her husband and other campaign advisers to weigh in on her fashion choices.

"It was going to be like my wedding night; I wasn't going to let him know what I was going to wear," she said. "But now they have opinions."

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Florida • Republican National Convention
  1. CryBabies

Feeling real warm and fuzzy around this hateful yet so very objective liberal crowd. Obamas base?

August 28, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. just sayin

>SOUTHERN HOTTIE - Every time the Romney campaign tries to humanize him it backfires.

Alas... if we could only humanize you. Try to be nice and live up to your southern traditions.

August 28, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Anonymous

What the BLANK are Welsh cakes? Is that all she can do?

August 28, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. California Gary

I hope "you people" will be watching and listening. She's gonna tell us about all the struggles the "rich" have to face everyday, and how they need more tax cuts so they can keep up their lavish lifestyles. Oh, and maybe how they will let a little bit trickle down to the little people. Then she will tell us what a great guy Mitt is......but we can already see that by all the close friends he seems to have, and how respectful he is of his political opponents. What a swell guy!

August 28, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  5. Rags

Another clown in Ann Romney. She's aging too fast but that may be because she married Mitt-the-Twit and she's unsure how many other wives he has. I feel for her when this is all over and all they have left is their money but no respect after all the lies and stalling.

August 28, 2012 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  6. CryBabies

@ trowe...The hypocrisy is amazing isn't it?

August 28, 2012 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  7. carlos

millions of voters?????...querulous and prevaricator, the willard.

August 28, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  8. BBear

She has trouble reading from the teleprompter? Wait a minute. I thought Republicans hated teleprompters.

August 28, 2012 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  9. Loathstheright

A vote for the GOP is a fools vote.

August 28, 2012 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  10. Gurgyl

GOP is a cult with bunch of CLOWNS.

August 28, 2012 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  11. DENNA

I am sick of Ann Romney. This woman practically drips that "I'm better than you" attitude. Her attempts to connect with me or any middle class woman is a joke. Mrs. Romney has, indeed, overcome some real problems in her life. However, she had money and good health insurance to get her through her illnesses. Most of us dread getting anything more serious than a head cold because we can't take the time to recover, insurance doesn't cover some thing, etc. I am sure you are probably a nice woman, but I am not impressed by your folksy style. It is annoying.

August 28, 2012 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  12. retief1954

The Repubs are SO UPTIGHT about this speech that campaign aides are advising her on choice of wardrobe!?!?! LMAO. Like she might blow the election if she wears the "wrong thing". (News flash – you've already lost, and it's all over but the actual voting.) Holy crap, can you guys just unclench just a TAD? I mean, sure, your party's dying, you've nominated a hopeless DORK as a candidate, and you're staging an elaborate, whimsical dog-and-pony show to try and convince Americans you're "just folks", but it seems like the dork's wife might be able to figure out what to wear, at least? Man... well, UPTIGHT is an apt one-word description for Repubs, so I guess this is isn't out of character.

August 28, 2012 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  13. DENNA

I am sick of Ann Romney trying to pretend she cares about ordinary women. You don't know what it's like to be broke and try to feed your kids. You don't know what it's like to be broke and sick and not have time to heal because you are afraid of losing your job. Please, please Ann, we can't relate to you and you don't care about us.

August 28, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. dnokc

I sense a common theme among many of these posts, which frankly is not very becoming. I offer this bit of wisdom....Envy is for people who don’t have the self-esteem to be jealous.”
    ― Benson Bruno, Evergreens Are Prudish

August 28, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. leftywriteagain

Those people wont elect the GOP ticket.

August 28, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  16. Ancient Texan

myviewis- Surely you were joking about the First Ladies wardrobe. Almost fell out of my chair laughing remembering the gosh awful garbs she wears out in public.

August 28, 2012 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  17. Glenn Rice

She's as funny as Sarah Palin working a men's college basketball tournament.......

August 28, 2012 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  18. Name

Ann is the secret weapon Go Ann and Go Romney Ryan

August 28, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  19. CBR

I hope that Ann Romney as the mother of five men will talk about tolerance and respecting all women. So far the Republican agenda is displaying their belief that women are not in charge of their own bodies. Whether you are pro-life, anti-abortion or for a women's right to choose we should join together to make sure we control our own destiny. It is about respect for women, all women.

August 28, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  20. Name Bonnie

Ann is a normal person and not a wannabe! Not like someone who tries so hard to be that person but has no skills nor class but people keeps giving her accolade and plenty i
    Of airbrushing!

August 28, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  21. dnokc

@leftywriteagain- True, I just didn't realize the extent of shallowness success could foster!

August 28, 2012 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  22. Name Bonnie

Those who are angry can stay angry because Romney is going to win, start packing!

August 28, 2012 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  23. just sayin

I'll bet that FOR ONCE in her life Ann Romney is proud to be an American!!! Oh wait, that's Michelle Obama. Never mind.

August 28, 2012 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  24. scott

Cry all you liberals, cry because your tin god Obama is going down to defeat in the election. Romney/Ryan Rule.

August 28, 2012 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. Evelyn

When Mitt was here in Utah with the Olymipics,which he always brags how he saved but never gives credit to the twenty five plus volinteers who helped save the Olympics ,he was asked by the local media why he didn.'t run for re-election in Mass.He said With Ann having MS it would be to hard on her to campaign and be the states first lady.My how he has flip-flopped.yet again.

August 28, 2012 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |