Paul supporters protest through convention halls
August 29th, 2012

Paul supporters protest through convention halls

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - A large number of Ron Paul supporters marched through the halls of the Tampa Bay Times Forum, site of the Republican convention, protesting what they feel is unfair treatment by organizers against them.

The group, estimated at several hundred, marched through the upper hallways of the site shouting "As Maine goes, so goes the nation" in protest of the Republican National Committee voting not to seat 10 delegates from Maine and replacing them with pro-Mitt Romney ones. Also 10 alternates were not seated.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The protesting contingent, which included some delegates, some alternate delegates and supporters, marched through the corridor on the level of the forum above the convention floor.

READ MORE: Ron Paul supporters put dent in unity at GOP convention

Some of the participants said the demonstration was spontaneous and was not planned in advance. "It just grew," Johnson said.

The group had come to the site to watch a video tribute to Ron Paul and to hear the speech from his son, Rand. After both were done is when they were getting ready to leave and the protest came about. Once they'd made their presence known the group dispersed.

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • Republican National Convention • Ron Paul
  1. Name Jim from springfield

When your strategy is to suppress the vote and refuse to acknowledge the existence of others with differing views in your own party it is pretty tough to lay claim to being representative of traditional American values.

August 29, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  2. Ian Carpenter

You had your chance to really change things America. Enjoy your wars and economic collapse.

Oh yeah ...enjoy April 15th for the rest of your lives too.

August 29, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  3. Shakira

They censor their own supporters, imagine what they will do to you. The GOP showing its true colors.

August 29, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  4. The republican establishment are crooks

Come on do you Ron Paul fans really believe that the republican party is truly concerned about the deficit? You were and are being used for votes for establishment republican snake oil salesmen:)

August 29, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  5. TheTraveler

"Maine delegate Bernie Johnson, who backed Paul, told CNN it was in protest "of the injustice" done by the RNC."

To use one of Paul Ryan's quotes; "Fear and division, it's all they've got." I guess he should look to his own party first ...

August 29, 2012 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  6. NudeTruth

Lot of shills on here claiming to be Ron Paul supporters yet have their circumference of their mouth at the base of either Romney's or Obama's shaft. No respectable Ron Paul supporter would be in that position.

August 29, 2012 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  7. Dennis

This is the oppression that Ron Paul voters hate the most.

August 29, 2012 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  8. Tiredofitall

Enuff--well said. I am so sick of the juvenile attitudes coming from the GOP. Now they have all the attention and just seem to ignore what is happening right beside them.

August 29, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  9. Josh

Congratulations Romney and the republican party. In a couple of fell swoops in an attempt to grab power and stick it to Ron Paul, you have now infuriated his supporters, libertarians who may have been willing to vote republican, and you've even managed to infuriate the tea party. Because of your desire for power and intolerance for any dissent, you just lost the election. I will not vote for Obama and dislike many of his policies. I wanted to vote republican this election but after seeing how the GOP treats its own people and attempts to muzzle anyone who doesn't get in line, it's not going to happen. I will not throw support behind a party that breaks its own rules and now wants the average person silenced while the leadership of the RNC selects who the nominee will be in the future. This is a mockery of the political process, and is actually incredibly idiotic from the party that needs every vote it can get.

August 29, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. Yeahona

I'm a Ron Paul supporter and can't stand how Romney treated all of us. He won't get my vote now!

August 29, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  11. check-raiser

After the Rnc steamrolled over Ron Paul I cannot affiliate myself as Gop. I will absolutely will vote for Gary Johnson , libertarian candidate

August 29, 2012 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  12. Jeff Brown in Jersey

The Romney campaign can't get ANYTHING right... I Love It!

August 29, 2012 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  13. ryanbudde

Why is it that Ron Paul supporters do not feel they can still vote for Ron Paul? Why do People feel they have to settle for Obama or Romney? I support Ron Paul. I wish I would have done more to support him and now, now that he and his following have been treated worse than vermin by the RNC... now I will continue to support him and write him in. When people in the future look back on this election... they will see my vote for Paul. WRITE IN RON PAUL!!!

August 29, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  14. tuishou

No dem is going to cross over and vote for romneybama and why should they? They can stay and vote for obamaromney. I would have crossed over for Dr Paul and so would millions of others who love our nation and the U S Constitution.

August 29, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  15. Marty

Ron Paul supporters are nuttier than a jar of Skippy!

August 29, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  16. Thomas From Texas

I wanted to vote republican this election but after seeing how the GOP treats average american Citizen people and attempts to muzzle anyone who doesn't get in line.
    I will Not vote Republican in November !!!!!!!!!!

August 29, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  17. jall

If your state counts write-ins, write him in. If not, vote Gary Johnson. That way the republicans can measure the damage they've done in votes.

August 29, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  18. Don

Tally three more votes in my Oregon family for Ron Paul this November instead of Mitt Romney.

August 29, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  19. Cleveland

The best way to get revenge is to vote for Obama. Obama 2012

August 29, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  20. Steven Colo

This is amazing. Romney can't even govern his own party at the convention. If he succeeds in alienating the Ron Paul contingent, he'll get buried worse than McCain did.

August 29, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  21. curt

Meh the voting tallying is rigged anyway. Ron Paul would never win, they (the real leaders) would never allow it to happen.

August 29, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  22. Tom

Are they insane? Even if you don't like Dr. Paul you cannot in intellectual conscience alienate such a huge voting block. That is just plain stupidity. What were they thinking? My God why not just hand over the election? Not to mention the impropriety of the rule change, especially at the last minute. Did anyone see the RNC? They were empty compared to the packed Sun Dome that had the Paul rally. I'm just in shock. This is a sure win for the current administration. I'm even considering voting for Gary Johnson at this point. I'm flabbergasted.

August 29, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  23. Avery williams

I am also a Ron Paul supporter and after tonight's total disrespect of dr Paul I will be voting for Obama.

August 29, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  24. Kona

I guess Ron Paul supporters don't know that the GOP is the property of Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh, and the Koch Brothers.

August 29, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  25. Steve

Gary Johnson! He's obviously a long shot, but it will serve the GOP well when they see Gary pull a big chunk of liberty republicans out of their base for this election.

August 29, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |