Paul supporters protest through convention halls
August 29th, 2012

Paul supporters protest through convention halls

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - A large number of Ron Paul supporters marched through the halls of the Tampa Bay Times Forum, site of the Republican convention, protesting what they feel is unfair treatment by organizers against them.

The group, estimated at several hundred, marched through the upper hallways of the site shouting "As Maine goes, so goes the nation" in protest of the Republican National Committee voting not to seat 10 delegates from Maine and replacing them with pro-Mitt Romney ones. Also 10 alternates were not seated.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The protesting contingent, which included some delegates, some alternate delegates and supporters, marched through the corridor on the level of the forum above the convention floor.

Maine delegate Bernie Johnson, who backed Paul, told CNN it was in protest "of the injustice" done by the RNC.

READ MORE: Ron Paul supporters put dent in unity at GOP convention

Some of the participants said the demonstration was spontaneous and was not planned in advance. "It just grew," Johnson said.

The group had come to the site to watch a video tribute to Ron Paul and to hear the speech from his son, Rand. After both were done is when they were getting ready to leave and the protest came about. Once they'd made their presence known the group dispersed.

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • Republican National Convention • Ron Paul
  1. Criminal elite: your time is running short!

I've been watching carefully what the GOP has been doing to silence democracy and divide America. They seem to think it's a done deal and the Presidency can be handed to Mitt Romney, the same Mitt Romney who very few people can identify with. It's obvious the GOP candidate was picked long ago, these debates are merely an illusion to have you believe there was a choice. What is very saddening are the sheeple and propagandists who call Ron Paul and his supporters loons, because they want small government and NO war. My gosh, no war? What a bunch of loons alright, what planet are these ideas from? Certainly planet Earth, this world is a bloody hell hole run by wealthy people who feel it is there to destiny prune the leaves of humanity, I find that much more looney than trying to support a candidate who wants to put an end to violence and corruption. Look how much control the elite have over the masses, it's really quite frightening.

August 30, 2012 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  2. Jim

I'm not a fan of Ron Paul or his supporters, but I thought it was classless that when delegates cast their votes for the nominees, only the Romney tally was repeated from the podium.

August 30, 2012 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  3. DM

I'm sick and tired of our two party system. If anyone tells you it's not just 2 parties they are liars. If Ron Paul was on the ticket I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. Oh, and i voted for Obama last election. Since Paul wont be, my definitive vote is for Obama. By the way, i live in FL.. my vote will be heard.

August 30, 2012 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  4. jaketinback

If you think the Paul has any clue about running a country you need your head examined. Hes a joke. Always has been, always will be. Grow up.

August 30, 2012 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  5. Good stuff

I liked Ron Paul and his ideas about limited government that is strictly based on the constitution, but his supporters are immature brats! I've read the websites and most of what I read is childish and hateful. Romney is the republican nominee and we've all known it for months. The Paul fans act like they're still campaigning. They're uncivil behavior has to be an embarrassment to Ron Paul and a real turn-off to reasonable people who may have otherwise supported him.

August 30, 2012 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  6. Current Resident

The comments by Ron Paul suipports flipping to Support the Socialist-Communist party & Obama prove their stupidity to me. Ron Paul continues to be a weak candidate with poor foriegn policies & weak views of our military. He is a liberal pretending to be a Republican. We don't want or need anymore in office destroying America.

August 30, 2012 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  7. Chris B

March in lockstep with the GOP or be silenced by the RNC.

August 30, 2012 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  8. Drake

I used to be an adamant Romney supporter until today as I sat down with my wife and talked things through. As I watch more of these Paul youtube videos, I'm beginning to regret my Romney vote.

August 30, 2012 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  9. TonyD

Now is the time For Ron Paul supporters to speak up and be heard. VOTE for Ron Paul!! Get your friends to do the same.
    You can make a difference. You have to stick your ground and let your voices be heard!!!!
    VOTE RON PAUL!!!!

August 30, 2012 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  10. AndyDaniel

I'm not a Republican, so maybe it's not my place to comment, but my parents escaped from communist Hungary and these shenanigans of trying to make the vote (which Romney would obviously win anyway) seem unanimous by not seating pro-Paul delegates reminds me of things the communists did to make the foregone conclusion of the party victory seem like everybody was on board. For example, you could drop your unmarked ballot in the box in public and that was counted a vote "for" the party, or you could go into the booth and mark your ballot in secret. Needless to say, they won every election with 99% of the "vote".

August 30, 2012 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  11. steven harnack

Why do they even bother to call the replacements delegates? They could just as easily have hired a crowd from Labor-Ready, pinned We Love Romney buttons on them, and paraded them in front of the cameras. It would have been just as honest, or I should say, for those who can't get subtleties, just as dishonest.

August 30, 2012 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  12. Anthony

Registered Republican in the swing State of Virginia. My wife and I will NOT be voting for Mitt Romney after seeing this disgusting display. I will cast my vote by either writing in Ron Paul or voting for Obama. I will not support this corrupt behavior in any way.

August 30, 2012 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  13. biggeorge23

This great!!! Mitt the Twit strikes again. Way to go! I cannot see ANY Ron Paul supporter voting for the GOP the way they were treated at their own convention, not at this point. Who's great idea was this? Hey Mitt, there's someone you can fire since you enjoy it so much...

August 30, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  14. Mike V

Am I missing something...or don't I remember ...the VOTE coming in..and MITT ROMNEY ....WON right... so I think Ron Paul ...needs to..."...fade into the background"....ok... he took his best shot...and LOST....MOOOVE ON..!

August 30, 2012 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  15. Wes Scott

When President Obama is re-elected in November it will not be because he defeated Romney. It will be because the GOP defeated Romney. This GOP circus has a clown car with a never-ending stream of clowns popping out. It is really amazing that the GOP decided to squelch the voices of the Ron Paul supporters who are one of the most active voting blocks to be found anywhere. Judging by comments all over every public forum I have seen it would appear that Romney just lost a very significant number of votes. President Obama thanks the GOP for its generosity to him.

August 30, 2012 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  16. LibertyCampaign

The Republican Convention was a joke to put it nicely. The first day was cancelled not because of the weather...they battened up the hatches because they saw a wave of Ron Paul supporters heading their way. The "We are the Future Rally" went on and when the Romney campaign figured out how to rig the delegate votes the reconvened. The corruption has now been brought to the surface, it is time for the people to protest against this Dictatorship and fight to Restore our Republic. Out with the one party system, and in with a constitutional government. Make sure to slide open that window and write in Ron Paul for President 2012!!! Let the GOP know how many votes they lost due to their arrogance, and corrupt ways. Expect 4 more years of Obama, because Romney has no chance of beating him.

August 30, 2012 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  17. Justin

Some of you people need to wake up and stop being lemmings. How about look at several news sites, instead of just one before you form an opinion? I check out cnn, fox news, msnbc etc, before I form opinions so that I can get the entire truth of the stories. It came out last week that Ron Paul supporters were going to protest while they were there. This is the reason they were put up away from the peaceful, level headed people so they could not cause trouble. Yeah, they didnt seat Maine, but even if they did, it would still be a blowout win for Romney. If Ron Paul went against Obama, Obama would win by 70+ percent.

August 30, 2012 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  18. Nui

Oh well, we will all get what we paid for.

August 30, 2012 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  19. LibertyCampaign

A Vote for Ron Paul is one Less for Nitt Romney....RON PAUL 2012 or BUST!!!!!!

August 30, 2012 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  20. saidso

Good grief. If the GOP won't even bother to give the appearance of being fair, why are they surprised Ron Paul fans are angry? You can't bully people into voting for your party favorite. They'll vote for Ron Paul or another candidate after being shown that attitude.

August 30, 2012 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  21. stan

GOP is DEAD... you are so right.. Ron Paul would not be bought by the Koch brothers. Romney is a Koch puppet...they own him completley...so he will be against women's rights, against gay rights and against brown rights...though i don't think he is really an evil man... but he has sold his soul to the devil... and that will make him the worst president in history if he gets elected...
    Worse than bush? Maybe I exaggerate... but his missteps will certainly give SNL a lot of comic material, as rome burns...

August 30, 2012 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  22. saidso

Hmm... its true that there is no party for the people who are both fiscal conservatives and socially liberal. Apparently, you're not allowed to want both a balanced budget and gay marriage. The GOP will drum you out as a RINO.

August 30, 2012 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  23. Tom Schramek

Devin, you might want to put on your own "big boy pants" and realize that rules are made to be followed and not changed as you go along to suit your purposes.

August 30, 2012 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  24. Rob

Good lord let it go Ron Paul didnt get the nod he lost get over it and move on. I cant belive people are going to waste a vote on a person who isnt in the race if you waste the vote you might as well vote for Obama and live with 4 more years of empty promises. Unbelievable you all are acting like little kids.

August 30, 2012 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  25. Mommy wow

I'm a big boy now. I think it's more adult to speak out against corruption. They're not protesting that they lost. They're protesting that the RNC broke it's own rules time and time again to cheat their victory. They had a better chance trying to beat the casinos.

August 30, 2012 12:58 am at 12:58 am |