Romney gaining buzz among women on Facebook
This screengrab from late Tuesday night shows that Mitt Romney is being discussed more than President Obama among women in nearly every state.
August 29th, 2012

Romney gaining buzz among women on Facebook

(CNN) – After the first full day of the Republican National Convention, Mitt Romney is dominating the political conversation among women on Facebook.

The Facebook CNN Election Insights tool, which measures the number of people on Facebook talking about the candidates, shows women talking about Mitt Romney more than Barack Obama in every state except Colorado and Iowa, the two states where Obama campaigned on Tuesday.

Follow CNN and CNN Politics on Facebook, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

This is a big difference compared to the past seven days of Facebook activity, where the interactive state heat-map shows more women discussing Obama in all of the Western states, Hawaii, and parts of the Midwest and Northeast.

The Republican National Convention on Tuesday evening included several high-profile Republican women, such as Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, Utah Congressional candidate Mia Love, South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, and Mitt Romney's wife Ann Romney.

Among men, Mitt Romney has been talked about more than Obama in every state for the last week.

The conversation also changes depending on the age of the Facebook user. Eighteen to 24 year-olds are buzzing about Barack Obama the most. Among people over age 55, the chatter skews heavily toward Romney.

The timeline on the Facebook-CNN Insights tool shows a giant spike for the president around 9 p.m. ET Tuesday. This coincides with a Facebook post on Obama's fan page at 9:12pm ET of a picture slamming Christie & Romney, which as of this post had more than 50,000 'likes' and more than 14,000 shares.

Late Tuesday night the conversation about Paul Ryan also started rising. At 10:40 p.m. ET, a graphic was posted to Ryan's page announcing the Republican vice presidential candidate surpassed two million followers. As of 12 a.m. ET Wednesday morning, that post drew 86,000 'likes.'

Ryan has more than five times the number of Facebook fans as Joe Biden, who is the least discussed of the four major candidates. Obama's page is the most popular, with more than 28 million fans. Mitt Romney has 5.4 million fans.

The Facebook-CNN Election Insights measures daily unique mentions, which is the number of people who either include a post or interact with a candidate's fan page at least once a day. This includes both positive and negative posts. More than 160 million Americans are on Facebook.

RELATED: On Facebook, campaigns show the power of a post

Filed under: 2012 • Facebook • Mitt Romney • Republican National Convention
  1. Always Vote

Truth, his wife's opinion is irrelevant to me as a voter. More importantly as a wife and a mother, its even less important. I respect women that have struggled and clawed their way to where they are through hard work. Not women who have every door opened for them. Don't tell me this woman is me, that she understands my struggles because she doesn't. Tout to me her medical struggles when she hasn't had the best care money can buy. Its not jealousy of her life, its simply reality. She never has had, nor will she ever have anything in common with the majority of women in this country. As to her opinion of her husband, its her job as a would be first lady to make him appear made of gold. How many battered women make excuses for their husbands? How many will sit there with bruises on their face telling you "he really is a good man"? Being wife doesn't necessarily make anyone the best judge of character.

August 29, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  2. myviewis

Len

Just remember the platform for the GOP.....

Women you will lose your Health Care benefits.....right now you get women's health care checks. The Affordable Healthcare law: Eliminates deductibles and co-pays for preventive services. (Womens health care check ups.)

You will also lose your right to chose. Donot forget what they really stand for!!!!
    -------------------------

Uhhhhhhhhh, I'm so scared!!!!!!!!!!! Now let me go read the Affordable Care Act again and see who is really benefiting from it and let's see what is really going to happen to my Medicare account according to the Affordable Care Act.

August 29, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  3. Samantha of Oregon

Correction to my post "Romney did get a hand-out from his parents" , should say "Romney did NOT get a hand-out from his parents" and "Bill Gates did get rich by blaming others for their success", should say "Bill Gates did NOT get rich by blaming others for their success" [Samantha]

August 29, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  4. Jos1

Yes, I posted on FB about Ann Romney's speech, and guess what, it was negative. This article is pointless unless you tell the whole story.

August 29, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  5. kimberly

I dont know how accurate this info is, but i PROMISE you the women BUZZ on FB about mitt romney is how TERRIBLE he would be as a president! Women are NOT voting away their rights! I know some bible thumpin women who are,but not REAL women that care about women issues are not here to please their husbands only!

August 29, 2012 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  6. Keith A. Sillsbury

CNN, you missed this one not by feet but by yards.

August 29, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. kimberly

Ann Romney did NOTHING to sway a single woman voter! Her fake, oh we struggled CRAP came across as nothing more than crap! spare us your wo-is-me crap!

August 29, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  8. myviewis

cali girl

MyViews Posted
    Hey cali girl, do you agree with Glorida Steinem that the Democratic National Convention is discriminating against mothers with children????? I thought Democrats were for protecting women, helping women. So what are single mothers to do with their babies and what about those that are breastfeeding?????

Uh, yeah, stay with the topic. Whatever Gloria Steinem says I am sure many women do and don't agree. Just like when Akin, a man opened his mouth and the sewage of Women and Rape came to light, I do recognize that all men don't agree with his statement.
    -----------------------

I don't have to stay with the topic, plenty of mothers are staying on the topic that wanted to attend the DNC and can't.

August 29, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  9. Valentina

70% of the Obama followers are fake pursuant to the recently released report. "A new Web tool has determined that 70% of Obama's crowd includes "fake followers," The New York Times reports."

August 29, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  10. Al-NY,NY

Queen Ann trying to sway women to vote for her plastic husband and his religious-fanatical VP........fail

August 29, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. Peace

The buzz I think is about Ann Romney. During her speech one thing puzzled me or rather was quite interesting. She said: "Let me promise/pledge that Mitt will do the work". Since she is not the one who will take the job, how on earth can she promise on behalf of her husband. Was it incase the work don't turn out as promised, her husband will say I didn't promise anything it was her!

August 29, 2012 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  12. Frank Rena

Most of teh female coments are truly amazing – they are either canned response from Dems tryig to shut down anything positive or they are bitter women frustrated with their lives and teh economy.
    For a party taht suppossedlyromotes womens rights why is teh pay differnce so obvious at the white house and the DNC, why no children at the convention?

What you fail to understand is that your party is driven by extremist far left groups outside the main stream. The Republicans are not anti women, they want EVERYONE to succeed – women, minorities – ALL AMERICANS, better education, better health etc but thery are prolife and that will not change. If you want contraception it is available and very affordable just dont ask a Catholic hospital to offer it – Just ask yourself this – were the last 4 years better and do you really believe in your heart that if Obama is reelected that America and your daily life will be better for you and your children?

August 29, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. TheTraveler

Using statistics from Facebook is "never having to say your certain".

I wonder if they're up for a comparison with the Snooki baby or Kim Kardashian stats?

August 29, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  14. tee1227

And yes we all remember the temper tantrum she threw when ask about there tax returns. And as of today still no tax returns,

August 29, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Valentina

=============================================

What on earth are you yakking about? Facebook polling as a new "web tool" filled with fake followers? 90% of all social media is most likely filled with fake followers from both party's ... including CNNs ticker.

August 29, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  16. Frances

I did not learn one new thing about why as a woman, I should vote for Mtt Romney. The Republican platform to me is against me as a woman. I am a Catholic Independent voter, Paul Ryan is no doubt a good man just as Mitt Romney is, but that is not how I vote, it is how their ideas are going to affect me and WOW, the Republicans are going to alienate me everytime by different state's bills they have passed that put us back to the 1940s.

August 29, 2012 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  17. Gurgyl

Very pathetic. This lady says–entire the nation believes. Same nation poke it's heads while having NANNIES, CADDILACS! How Uneducated is this nation. No wonder Pres. Obama cries for EDUCATION. Did this nation realize where it goes with Paul Ryan proposals? Cutting Your Medicare, SS.

August 29, 2012 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  18. Always Vote

From a story abt her speech on my FB page:
    No. I found her comments condescending to women.

She should have talked about her dancing horse, her social club, and making fun of poor people. You know, stick to what she knows.

I'm sure she's a wonderful wife and great mother, but the problem is that her husband's interests are with the multinationals, Wall Street, and he has already said he's not concerned with the poor. Well, right now 22% of the nation's kids are below the poverty line. 15% of the country is on food stamps. 29% of home owners have underwater mortgages.

The Stepford Politicians.

Ann Romney is almost as awkward as Sarah Palin. I felt her speech was a slap in the face to women. She started by saying she realized that women hold the family together and yet, her husband's party is the one that insists on demeaning women and dismissing them in terms of healthcare and fair pay. Hypocrites!

Quite a few comments are too rude to share, but I could post all day the negatives off just this one story.

August 29, 2012 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  19. Namejkane fl SEND THE THREE TIME LOSER romney HOME AND MAKE IT FOUR.

They were probably saying what goofs the romney tax cheats are .

August 29, 2012 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. Rudy NYC

myviewis wrote:

-------------------
    Please. You do that. When you are done, read the Romney/Ryan Plan. It doesn't balance the annual budget for 3 decades, which means tens of trillions of additional national debt. As for VoucherCare, if it is such a good idea, why are they waiting a decade to implement it?

I know why. Read the R/R Plan carefully. It ignores the estimated trillion dollar transitioning costs to a voucher system. Those costs could actually bankrupt Medicare in less than a decade, permanently destroying it. I think that is the idea.

August 29, 2012 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  21. Pander Bear

What an utterly misleading article! I'm seeing many of my women friends posting about Romney and Ryan – and every single one of them is negative. This article makes it seem like their gaining popularity when in fact they're inspiring outrage.

August 29, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  22. Tony

Anne was good in her speech. But Mitt is still the same person he was before yesterday- a man without conviction or a backbone.

August 29, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  23. JohnW

So what you're saying is, during the highest-profile thing the Republican party ever does, there are more people talking about Republicans? Wow, shocking.

August 29, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  24. Pam from Iowa

Her speech last night was simply "more of the same B.S.". He looked very uncomfortable.
    I am sure there is lots of "talk" on Facebook – negative comments I am sure!!

August 29, 2012 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  25. Marie MD

This pure crapola. No self respecting woman, that leaves out the repugs, would ever vote for a wishy washy man and his anti women HR3 creator.
    I don't know of any woma, except the repressed rethugs, who wants to go back to the days of wagon trains!

August 29, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |