August 30th, 2012

Solved: Eastwood is RNC 'mystery guest'

(CNN) - Clint Eastwood will be the "mystery guest" at the Republican National Convention's final night, a GOP source confirmed Thursday.

Eastwood, a longtime Republican, is expected to walk through the convention floor in the afternoon for a brief rundown of the night's events.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The actor endorsed Romney at an Idaho fund-raiser at the beginning of August, where he told reporters beforehand he was backing the Republican presidential candidate "because I think the country needs a boost somewhere."

He later told hundreds at the outdoor reception that Romney was "going to restore, hopefully, a decent tax system that we need badly...so that there's a fairness and people are not pitted against one another as to who's paying taxes and who isn't."

Convention organizers had been teasing a surprise "mystery guest" all week at the convention in Tampa but would not give details or hints about the surprise speaker.

Romney will accept his party's nomination for president Thursday night.

– CNN Political Producer Shawna Shepherd contributed to this report.

1. ccb

I'm disappointed in Mr. Eastwood. I thought he was a man of common sense and love for his fellow man. I was wrong. Anyone for R/R is for the 1-2%, select portions of the middle class but uncaring for the poor and downtrodden. For me he is just a "character." and nothing more at this point. I WAS a fan of his, but no more!. I know it doesn't mean anything, but I've watched my last Eastwood picture and toss his movies that I have on DVD. Therefore, Mr. Eastwood, you didn't make my day. People who care about others should not support any of his movies any more!!!

August 30, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  2. joan

I refraim from listening to the talks at the convention because they are all lies and blame. Ryan have not outlined a plan on how they are going to get people back to work, healthcare, security nothing,. All they do is point finger at Obama fail plans.
    I said I like Clint so I would try to listen to see if he would straigtfoward, honest and tells us something we did not hear from the others blamer. But he started out the same way. Only a bit more shaky than the others. He blamed all everything on Obama. At least he could have said that the congress did not do move a finger to help bring back jobs considering they have the house since 2010. Sad, sad, sad. I pray that the American people will give Mr. Obama a chance to really continue the work that he has started. He really worked extremely hard and he really did try. He was the lone man in all of this. So people please give him a chance you won't forget it. When you really looked at it the Republican has been in Power more than the Democrats. However, when they are in Power the Middle class gets poorer, poorer but when the Democrats in power everybody have a bit more. Bill Clinton left a surplus in 2000 and it 2 terms of the republican to blew it away and send the courntry over the clift. Obama brought it back people. Yes he did... no matter what

August 30, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  3. Northern Virginia

Clint Eastwood with jokes? He was the joke. Embarassing for our country, insulting to the minds of voters, disrespectful to the Office of the Presidency (regardless who is in office). The throat slashing sign when talking about getting rid of President Obama is representative of the ignorance and poor decision making that has been the record of these republican candidates. Yes Romney has made a lot of money; FOR HIMSELF. Unless you look like, have money like, walk like, talk like and have the lack of faith like Romney; he is going to do nothing for you. Never has and never will.. America Wakeup this is not a bad dream, this is a nightmaire.

August 30, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  4. Abe

Seeing Clint Eastwood on stage was a joke . He is better off on the movie screen. I watched some of his antics in front of the whole nation making fun of our president and his president and what he was saying was absolutely out of place. His joke about the presidents election in 2008 his remarks that people had candles lite, Oprah crying, people crying sends an underline racial tone. This is not comedy hour and I did not expect such derogative comments from him. I think Republicans are using Reganism so much that they are forgetting that times has changed and are using it as a crutch because they have no better solution to come up with. I am sorry to say this but Mr. Clint Eastwood really made a fool of himself.

August 30, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  5. Barbara

CNN, why did you not have a commercial during Clint Eastwood's attempt at comedy?

August 30, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  6. matt

embarassing and tough to watch.

August 30, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  7. Romy Monteyro

I have always liked and admired Clint Eastwood as actor and director. Now I like him even more for being a great American! Say what you will Obama lovers! Clint is 100 per cent American and so are Romney and Ryan! Need I say more?

August 30, 2012 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  8. Chuck Black

CNN – Could you be any more extreme left? Wow, your coverage is comical. You seem so desperate that your beloved President is getting called out for being a complete joke to not only the US but the world. Sorry but Hussein is a massive failure as a President. How can any of you in the media even buy the Obama story anymore? The mainstream Media is so biased in Obama's favor it is scary. I guess you like us being second best as long as you get paid. You pitch things like your so concerned for the middle class but your really interested in Obama for your own selfish gain. Sad...

August 30, 2012 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  9. Harry Grimsdale

Rommney makes a better actor than Clint

August 31, 2012 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  10. derhewitt

The GOP Convention is about an empty chair! I am very happy that the American people voted OBAMA for president of the United State, and I would like to see the American people voted for OBAMA for president for four more years. It was the Bush administration that put the American economy into a bad state with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is the GOP congress that prevents Obama from fixing the problems of the country. It is the Republicans that rammed the country into debt! Obama prevent a depression. He took the country out of a recession. Now the America economy is slowly growing and it will recover under the Obama administration. OBAMA has a plan in moving the country forward. Go out and vote... four more years for OBAMA!!!

August 31, 2012 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  11. Mary Ann

I guess Eastwood loves his tax cuts for the wealthy,he doesn't want to loose them.I'm no longer an Eastwood fan but why would he care ,I'm part of the vanishing middle class,I thought he had hit the low point of his life when his current wife and many kids have their own reality show just like the Palins.

August 31, 2012 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  12. Anonymous

Clint: from iconic to ironic.

August 31, 2012 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  13. Anonymous

Old Clint sure loved the tax break money he sucked up while making his movie here in Michigan. The man has gone senile.

August 31, 2012 07:44 am at 7:44 am |