August 30th, 2012

Solved: Eastwood is RNC 'mystery guest'

(CNN) - Clint Eastwood will be the "mystery guest" at the Republican National Convention's final night, a GOP source confirmed Thursday.

Eastwood, a longtime Republican, is expected to walk through the convention floor in the afternoon for a brief rundown of the night's events.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The actor endorsed Romney at an Idaho fund-raiser at the beginning of August, where he told reporters beforehand he was backing the Republican presidential candidate "because I think the country needs a boost somewhere."

He later told hundreds at the outdoor reception that Romney was "going to restore, hopefully, a decent tax system that we need badly...so that there's a fairness and people are not pitted against one another as to who's paying taxes and who isn't."

Convention organizers had been teasing a surprise "mystery guest" all week at the convention in Tampa but would not give details or hints about the surprise speaker.

Romney will accept his party's nomination for president Thursday night.

– CNN Political Producer Shawna Shepherd contributed to this report.

1. Boo

Where are all of the conservatives bashing this "Hollywood elite" guy?

August 30, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  2. CBinSantaFe

The Republicans are critical of how the Democrats fund raise with the movie stars, so the irony is that their very favorite president, the one they profess to idolize, was an actor named Ronald. How truly fitting it is that their secret guest should be Clint Eastwood.

August 30, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. Jim in PA

Poor Clint. From his comment about wanting to see a fair tax system, it's obvious that he has no idea that the Romney/Ryan plan is to bring their own taxes down to zero while saddling the middle class with the burden. I like Clint and he seems like a decent guy and he makes great movies. It's a shame about his membership in the GOP.

August 30, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Sabine

No one had a problem with Oprah and her support of OBama back in 2008.
    ----------------
    Are you kidding me? It was a major "problem" with Sarah Palin. Sen. Obama had appeared on Oprah in 2007 and Sarah had the gall to demand that she be allowed to appear. Oprah said, "No." Obama had appeared as an author during on her Book of the Month shows, not as a politician. The right wing went nuts. They said, "Boycott the Oprah Winfrey Show."

August 30, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Jim in PA

Remember before the GOP went crazy, they wanted a flat tax? Could you imagine Mitt Romney's reaction today if he was told he had to pay the same 28% tax rate as me? Looks like the flat tax and the health care mandate have both become "radical marxist" concepts. LOL. Poor GOP extremists.

August 30, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. Jokesterer

He's going to paint the whole convention red and hang a sign that says HELL. Oh wait, that's already done.

August 30, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. kayla

i was expecting side sweep trump, or mr crab cain

August 30, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  8. WINROMNEY

REPUBLICAN WILL RESTORE THIS NATION!!!!

August 30, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  9. Jokesterer

I hope he gives a Gran Turino-worthy tirade.

August 30, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  10. Sorensen

Eastwood should really stick to movies. His association with these two nerds can not be good for his credibility.
    Reagan, maybe. But these two, embarrassing.

August 30, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  11. dolly lanna

Not a fan of Eastwood, His personality is not very cheery or not even very evident.

August 30, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. Expat American

"Make my Day"...will be sound more like "Why did I come into this room?"

August 30, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. dolly lanna

Another Boring speaker....

August 30, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. MikeB59

Clint Eastwood is a Republican? Wow, what a surprise. I had no idea. What about Charlton Heston? Was he a Republican, too?

August 30, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  15. Mike

Why is that Republicans attack Democrats for cozying up with Hollywood celebrities and then at the same time elect to political office when they are Republican?

Examples?
    - Ronald Reagan (president)
    - Arnold Shwarttzanagger (California governor)
    - Sony Bono (senator)
    - Clint Eastwood (mayor)

August 30, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. Lcavanaugh

Seriously"? Who cares about Clint Eastwood?

August 30, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. rrd

clem

I know some one that met Eastwood, said "he's not as nice as everyone thinks"

-----------------------------–
    Sounds like the same guy that called Harry Reid.

August 30, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. TomVIO

If the republicans wanted to get attention from the working class, they should've brought in someone who is a working class to speak.

Clint Eastwook is another rich guy who does not mind having his taxes cut.

I watched the RNC the last couple of days just to see if maybe they can change my mind about my choice... Well, from what i've seen, all they keep talking about is how America was built and how it should be rebuilt the same way this time.

Their idea is not so bad, however, times are different now and the way America was built the first time, will not work this without sacrificing the majority who are middle/working class.

August 30, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  19. Jeff E

I always laugh at the NEOCONS that attack the government and social programs, yet, they receive all of their income from social security. i have a neighbor down the street, who's a single father, their mother died of cancer, hates Obama, hates the government, yet, he has never worked, and receives all of his income from the government, because the kids mother died. LOL.. Doesn't he know if the people he supports had their way, he wouldn't even get that check in the mail??? Sad, how dumb they're really. Now, I'm a Democrat, have never not worked at anytime in my entire life, have never received anything from the government in my entire life, but I will be voting for Obama, and I believe in a social safety net system. But then again, that's the major difference between Republicans and Democrats, we think of society in general, while Republicans think as long as they're good, that's all that matters. I know, I know, this comment is awaiting moderation, like every other one.

August 30, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. Dude in Colorado

Y'know, from "Breezy" and "Play Misty For Me" to "Bridges of Madison County" and "Mystic River" I have absolutely nothing but mad respect for Clint Eastwood the filmmaker.

But I'm just not seeing how Eastwood's man Rmoney is going to give this country a "boost" by giving more tax breaks to the rich and taking money from the poor who whether you want to admit it or not put the vast majority of any money they earn or get back into their local economy. The GOP's theory of economics is what got us into the state we were at in 2008, it doesn't work. Recovery under Obama has been slow, agreed, but this economy has to stabilize from the bottom up.

August 30, 2012 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. socalgal

30 years ago that would have been news. I was hoping for Nancy Regan.

August 30, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  22. TomVIO

Another thing... I know it's not relevant to this article, but i'll say it anyways. The speech that Conoleeza Rice gave was mostly about USA being the leader of the world and how Obama has ruined our leadership around the world.

Well, As far as I see it, USA is a lot more respected today than it was during BUSH. During Bush, the whole world hated the USA. Leadership??? Do you really want to take over the world??? That sounds just like Hitler in 1939!

I don't care if USA is leader of the world or not leader, all I care about is that I make enough money to live a good life with my family.

August 30, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. Ol' Lefty

Love Clint's movies, deplore his politics. But just as I'm voting for Obama, not because George Clooney supports him, but because I think he's the best choice, I'd hope most Americans make their choice based on issues, not movie stars.

August 30, 2012 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. Deb in MT

I think Clint Eastwood must have a new movie coming out.
    Poor man, he really is rather clueless, isn't he-Bless his heart ;^)

August 30, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. NC

So much for family values. How many out of wedlock children with different women does Eastwood have? Didn't he force one of his girlfriends to have an abortion?

August 30, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |