August 30th, 2012

Solved: Eastwood is RNC 'mystery guest'

(CNN) - Clint Eastwood will be the "mystery guest" at the Republican National Convention's final night, a GOP source confirmed Thursday.

Eastwood, a longtime Republican, is expected to walk through the convention floor in the afternoon for a brief rundown of the night's events.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The actor endorsed Romney at an Idaho fund-raiser at the beginning of August, where he told reporters beforehand he was backing the Republican presidential candidate "because I think the country needs a boost somewhere."

He later told hundreds at the outdoor reception that Romney was "going to restore, hopefully, a decent tax system that we need badly...so that there's a fairness and people are not pitted against one another as to who's paying taxes and who isn't."

Convention organizers had been teasing a surprise "mystery guest" all week at the convention in Tampa but would not give details or hints about the surprise speaker.

Romney will accept his party's nomination for president Thursday night.

– CNN Political Producer Shawna Shepherd contributed to this report.

1. livingston

Why should it matter what an actor thinks? Any actor – on either side. They are just one person and they specialize in making people believe in something that isn't true. Oh, now I see why he is so important to them.

August 30, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  2. jas

All repubs are not all monolithic, and Mr. Eastwood I would suggest, fancy his ideology between Ronald Reagan and NASCAR Republicans, not those wingnuts of the party like Ted Nugent and Rick Santorum, who would round up gays and abortion doctors and have them executed and deport or put in prison, people of color. Mr. Eastwood is a dying breed, and is probably honoring his commitment to appear. Just wait to the Democratic convention, and see Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson sweat it out over who gets to speak the longest and loudest, in front of the microphone.

August 30, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Packman 1001

I love his movies. That being said, he has never backed a Democrat so this is not news, unless you're at the convention and want his autograph.

August 30, 2012 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. TY

He trying to promote his MOVIE.....come on people it all about ME. He is a life time REP, but he does have a movie coming out......................

August 30, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  5. thetruthandnothingbutthetruth

absolutely loved his old westerns, but now he is just one of THEM!

August 30, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. Captain Obvious

My grandfather would be so excited if he weren't already dead.

August 30, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Texas Democrat

I'm disappointed in Eastwood. Perhaps its dementia.

August 30, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. Anthony

Eastwood says what he believes, and believes what he says. Unfortunately, the same thing cannot be said about Romney.

August 30, 2012 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. UDidntBuildThat

This is the story of a blonde flying in a two-seater airplane sitting next to the pilot. He has a heart attack and dies. She, frantic, calls out a May Day. "May Day! May Day! Help me! Help me! My pilot had a heart attack and is dead. And I don't know how to fly. Help me! Please help me!" She hears a voice over the radio saying: "This is Air Traffic Control and I have you loud and clear. I will talk you through this and get you back on the ground. I've had a lot of experience with this kind of problem. Now, just take a deep breath. Everything will be fine! Now give me your height and position." She says, "I'm 5'4" and I support Obama."
    "O.K." says the voice on the radio.... "Repeat after me: Our Father. . Who art in Heaven. . . .."

August 30, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. LIP

Can't wait to hear him. All those liberal entertainers will be joining him pretty soon, once they figure out how poor everyone is going to be once Obama's taxes kick into effect and everyone is left with no money for movies. This will give them plenty of time then to figure out new ways to set good examples for our young people...more drugs and alcohol.

August 30, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. JDinHouston

So the Tin Man turned to Hollywood to drive up viewers for his show tonight. If he Democrats had done this the GOP hacks would be throwing up all over it.

August 30, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  12. Reggie from LA

So what's the big "mystery"? He's already given Robme an endorsement weeks ago. Oh, I get it. He'll pop up at the convention and immediately, everything that Robme has been done wrong or wicked (and there's been a lot) will be forgiven because all will be in awe of Clint Eastwood. That's fine, but if it takes star power and a lot of money to make the governor a credible candidate, that really is a sad commentary for what republicans are espousing about what they believe in...and they do espouse a lot.

August 30, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  13. Chat Pata

What a surprise! Trigger happy Dirty Harry, a symbol of mob justice movies, is supporting Republican party? Who would have thought about it?

August 30, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  14. Anonymous

>>>Eastwood: Romney was "going to restore, hopefully, a decent tax system that we need badly...so that there's a fairness and people are not pitted against one another as to who's paying taxes and who isn't."<<<

Um, Clint, Mitt's not your man then.

August 30, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  15. the real ib

@TomVIO
    Go back and read the rest of my post again. Obama cares nothing about the midde class and poor. The coal industry that he is trying to shut down if full of middle class workers. The lay-offs have reached into several thousand. I worked in the energy field for 42 yrs. Obama's policies will hurt the middle class and poor and put our country at greater risk since we are having to get our energy from other countries. I don't care if Obama had an R after his name I would still vote against him. I know what Obama is; I'll take my chances with Romney he can't be any worse for middle class and poor unless you are a leech and then get ready you may have to go to work. Unemployment has been over 8% for the longest time ever under any president. Obama's daily new regulations on small business will keep it that way. People need to look past the D & R and vote for the person not the party.

August 30, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  16. Bruce 34

Republicans always mock Democrats for getting movie star endorsements. At least Eastwood is honest about his motive. He is a very rich person who wants to see more tax breaks for rich people.

August 30, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  17. willis

I am disappointed that Clint E. would jump on a ship that is warring with women. The Repubs want to take away women's rights by voting against fair pay for women, repealing abortion, supporting personhood, voting against the woman's violence act, defunding Planned Parenthood, etc.

I won't see another Clint Eastwood movie!!!!

August 30, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. M. Meyers

I would be a bit wary of Eastwood if I were Romney. It won't take much to upstage him. But, I guess the Republican's are desperate to distract the voters from Mitt.

August 30, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. Jimbo

He is the 1%. So, of course, he will favor the guy that is going to cut taxes to the 1%.

August 30, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  20. gee

Not so good an actor now. Should have stayed in Hollywood and away from Tampa.

August 30, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. Ramrod

Very fitting; another bird-brain script reader.

August 30, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Hope he doesn't mumble his way through the speech like he does his movies. Well, then again, given what he's probably going to say, maybe he should.

August 30, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  23. Butbut

He lost any sense of dignity when his wife got a reality show. He is officially a joke.

August 30, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  24. LOL

Why not Chuck Norris? Or Goofy for that matter.

August 30, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  25. TomVIO

Surely not everything that is donated to the campaigns is spent at the end. I wonder who gets the rest of the donated $$$ after the campaign is over???

August 30, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |