August 30th, 2012

Solved: Eastwood is RNC 'mystery guest'

(CNN) - Clint Eastwood will be the "mystery guest" at the Republican National Convention's final night, a GOP source confirmed Thursday.

Eastwood, a longtime Republican, is expected to walk through the convention floor in the afternoon for a brief rundown of the night's events.

Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker, catch the latest updates from the GOP convention on CNN's 2012 Conventions Live Blog, and check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator to game out your own strategy for November.

The actor endorsed Romney at an Idaho fund-raiser at the beginning of August, where he told reporters beforehand he was backing the Republican presidential candidate "because I think the country needs a boost somewhere."

He later told hundreds at the outdoor reception that Romney was "going to restore, hopefully, a decent tax system that we need badly...so that there's a fairness and people are not pitted against one another as to who's paying taxes and who isn't."

Convention organizers had been teasing a surprise "mystery guest" all week at the convention in Tampa but would not give details or hints about the surprise speaker.

Romney will accept his party's nomination for president Thursday night.

– CNN Political Producer Shawna Shepherd contributed to this report.

1. Jim

I guess Lindsey Lohan was too busy.

August 30, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. Hal

Yay.....Clint!! I love Clint more knowing this......

August 30, 2012 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  3. Straightalk1

What do all of you lost-sheep liberals despise about someone having a different opinion and the courage to express it? Are you so insecure that the thought of free-speech at a convention terrifies you? Are you afraid that people will actually see the dismal record of the current President? Your hipocracy stinks up the fresh air of freedom!

August 30, 2012 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  4. I am God

I like Clint Eastwood for what he has done in movies and as a director. He has come up with great movies, but the fact remains is that Republicans claim that Hollywood is all Liberal extremists and they hate the Republicans. Well Republicans most people that are actors and singers grew up poor. They know what hard work is and it goes against your dumb ideology that all poor people are lazy.

August 30, 2012 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. nvmature

So Republicans only hate Hollywood types who vote Democrat. Hmm..

August 30, 2012 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. george of the jungle

gee I sure want to watch this 80+ year old rich guy talk abput mitt and his family values. OL clint is on wife 3 or four now. Of course he is better than the osmans and mitt for that matter. When he acts it seems real unlike mittens who never seems real. The repos must be peeing their pants with anticipation. Golly gee Is this the same as mystry meat??? Oh no thats the platform

August 30, 2012 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  7. Jeff Cox

One old Republican? Well at least the NRA base will be happy that Dirty Harry is still alive.

He fits right in with the rest of the people that are out of touch with reality.

August 30, 2012 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Rachel

This is way cool. I'm sure liberal heads are exploding over the fact that someone from Hollywood is an actual conservative. You can't top Clint Eastwood. Way to go Clint!

August 30, 2012 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  9. Claudia, Houston, Tx

He's the only one in Hollywood supporting Romney, kinda sad.

August 30, 2012 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. TomGI

Sad news. Movie producers and presidents of chicken fast food companies should keep their mouths shut and just reserve their comments to their products. Sorry Clint, I vote with my dollars so unless I can $teal your movies via download I won't be buying any tickets any more. I already get my chicken sandwiches from a fast food store that doesn't use their company for a bully pulpit.

August 30, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  11. nyhousewife

I don't get it. Clint is endorsing Romney after making the movie Gran Torino and appearing in the commercial proclaiming that the American car industry was back. Did he forget that Romney said that we should let Detroit go bankrupt? I guess dementia has set in.

August 30, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  12. ATLJack

So after decades of saying how Hollywood should stay out of politics, the GOP flip-flops and goes Hollywood.

Hypocrisy. Hypocrisy. Hypocrisy.

August 30, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  13. Sheri Lee

OH I thought maybe it was going to be Ronald Reagan.

August 30, 2012 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  14. Just Me

Highly unlikely his presence at the GOP convention will do much to help Romney win the election. This election is going to come down to the independents. And I cannot imagine there is anything Dirty Harry can say that will swing them in Romneys direction definately. It's up to Mittens to prove himself tonight. And if he was not able to do so in 8 years, it's doubtful he will be able to do so in an hour appearance in one night.

August 30, 2012 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  15. Don in Albuquerque

No, I don't believe liberal heads are exploring all over America over this. Most liberals still believe it is a free country with freedom of choice. If Mr. Eastwood chooses fascism over democracy, that is his choice and I respect it.

August 30, 2012 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. Romney is not My Hero

@JDinHouston – Clint Eastwood talking to Mitt Romney, "Mitt, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I act like a robot?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Absolutely brilliant!

August 30, 2012 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  17. NukeTim

another nobody

August 30, 2012 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. NukeTim

h a s b e e n

August 30, 2012 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  19. CBR

Mr. Eastwood and any other celebrity can support any candidate they choose. The only surprise is the GOP getting cozy with a Hollywood star. They seem to mock the Democrats for doing the same thing.

Where is Donald Trump? He announced that the GOP was giving him a big part in this convention.

August 30, 2012 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  20. BD70

Clint Eastwood? Bhwahahahahha...really....Clint Eastwood.....coming in the back door. If you don't like us we will bring in your favorite movie actor. Right.....

August 30, 2012 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  21. weliveajoke

clint eastwood? what's the surprise? that he's still alive?

August 30, 2012 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  22. Truth be told

Sterilize the poor and end welfare. Mandate it. Then I will start paying tax again.

August 30, 2012 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  23. CapnJanks

He already did his duty with the Halftime in America Ad.

August 30, 2012 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  24. KWS

Dirty Harry could blow away any character George Cloony has ever played, including Batman (HIS, anyway).

'nuff said; Obama goin' DOWN!

August 30, 2012 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  25. LAguy

Clint will really help the GOP expand beyond its image as a party full of old angry white men.

August 30, 2012 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |