Romney to survey storm damage in Louisiana
August 31st, 2012

Romney to survey storm damage in Louisiana

(CNN) – Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will travel to Lafitte, Louisiana Friday to view storm damage from Hurricane Isaac after his joint morning event with Paul Ryan in Lakeland, Florida, according to his campaign.

Romney will join Gov. Bobby Jindal and meet with first responders to thank them for their work, as well as see areas affected by the storm in Lafitte.

Romney's campaign said Jindal invited the nominee for part of the governor's already-planned schedule to help raise awareness of the damage for people who need help and donations.

Lafitte is located just south of New Orleans and experienced heavy floods from the Category 1 hurricane that tore through the area on Tuesday.

Romney, who accepted his party's nomination for president Thursday night, has canceled his campaign appearance at an event in Richmond, Virginia later Friday, but will still be at the morning rally with Ryan in Florida. Ryan, meanwhile, will continue on to Richmond.

After taking a break from Tampa to speak in Indianapolis Wednesday at the American Legion convention, Romney made a joke, then expressed concern about the storm.

"I appreciate this invitation to join you on dry land this afternoon," he said, drawing laughs. "Our thoughts are, of course, with the people of the Gulf Coast states. Seven years ago today, they were bracing for Hurricane Katrina. This afternoon they are enduring Isaac."

He continued: "We're grateful that it appears Isaac will spare them from the kind of damage we saw during Katrina, but for many in the Gulf Coast who just finished repairing their homes and are getting a life back to normal, this must be a heavy burden. So today our thoughts are with them, our prayers go out to them, and our country must do all we can to help them recover."

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser and CNN Political Producer Shawna Shepherd contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Louisiana • Mitt Romney
  1. Bill from GA

What's he going to do. promise them a tax cut?

With his 40% cut in 'discretionary spending', that's about all they could expect from a romney administration.

Tell them how Big Government is the enemy of the people, as they see how dry the people of New Orleans are.

August 31, 2012 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  2. HarvardLaw92

The man just has no shame ...

August 31, 2012 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  3. RP

Hilirious!..So while the storm was hitting the state and Obama was making sure people had the help Romney is going to do a photo opt tour of the victims...what a disappointment!

August 31, 2012 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  4. Puddin

Someone should remind Romney there can only be one president at a time. He's making himself look foolish.

August 31, 2012 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. enuff

And will he say to these people: If I'm elected president, no FEMA funds for you. You must learn there will be no more "handouts" because this would be a form of welfare to assist you". ?

August 31, 2012 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. Kevin in Atlanta

How is this not a political ploy?

Mitt is not the president. He cannot help these people in any meaningful way. And honestly, if I had just lost my home and all of my possessions, the last I'd want to see is some politician in a clean suit, with atleast 4 homes he can go back to, come swaggering down the street just to pat me on the head and say "Everything will be ok..."

August 31, 2012 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. Rosemary Peppercorn

WHAT A WASTE! HOW RUDE! People are SUFFERING, and he is going on a "VOTE FOR ME" trip? SHAMEFUL! Yet another AWFUL decision from the Romney camp!

August 31, 2012 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  8. Greg

Time for some vote buying.

August 31, 2012 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  9. runner305

Save your political posturing and pandering, Mittster. Louisiana needs REAL help.

August 31, 2012 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  10. militarymike

I hope it"s careful down there. Water and robots don't mix.

August 31, 2012 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  11. PJ

Five things I learned from last night:
    1. Romney had great, loving and caring parents.
    2. Romney is still bashing the President, wasting time that he could have used better.
    3. Romney made promises without specifics---again.
    4. Romney has no clue nor concern for the environment. His little joke about the rising waters fell flat.
    5. Romney will take us into another war. Who wrote this part Senor or Bolton?
    Today I learned:
    Romney has no judgement and his trip to Lafitte, La proves it.
    So, if that was his best effort, he fell short.

August 31, 2012 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  12. Karaya

People are working there – can he postpone his site-seeing tour? His presence there would be very disruptive.

August 31, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  13. bibleverse1

I think it is good to visit the areas affected by the storms. I dont know what a candidate can do to help these people though. This is the definition of hollow gesture.

August 31, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  14. Skinny G

Why is he going.... He is not the President...nor anyone of importance.

August 31, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  15. Ronda in Houston,TX

CNN, explain to me why this is BREAKING NEWS?

August 31, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  16. InVT

Let me guess, Romney is going to go out there and tell them that if elected, he will cut to nothing every govt. program that is assisting them now. Next time, should he be President, they are on their own.

Oops, that would be telling the truth. Romney wouldn't do that.

August 31, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  17. jacklynd

He's visiting them why? He's not president, has no power to do anything, and distress or homelessness isn't exactly his cup of tea. The very policies Romney and Ryan are espousing will be detrimental to the people affected by the hurricane. What an inappropriate joke he is.

August 31, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  18. Robert

Will he take the high and dry road and not try and blame The President for the damage done by Isaac
    He will probably leave that to Jindal to work in somehow

August 31, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  19. Republican Latino

That's my Man !!!! Go Mitt !!

August 31, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  20. timahh booker

I cant wait for Romney to speak while visiting devistated NOLA. For example: I fell your pain. I remember when my garage elevator did not work because I too was without electricity.

August 31, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  21. JudyChicago

Using this devastated area as a political photo opportunity is a thoughtless act. Heartless.

August 31, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  22. CNNuthin

"Hey guys. Sorry about arriving late. Me and some buddies were a state over enjoying nice hotels, dry conditions and luxurious dinner parties. I know it isn't much, but I brought a doggie bag if anyone wants some." – Romney's speech upon arrival.

August 31, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  23. BinaryTooth

I wish all you racists that disagree with Obama and want him to not win relection would just PAY YOUR FAIR SHARE and go away. Pay your taxes 'cause I need money to buy some smokes!

Obama 2012

August 31, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  24. Sheila

This is great. Romney is going to be a great president!

August 31, 2012 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  25. Jack from Illinois

Good for Romney.

What does he intend to do about it?

August 31, 2012 10:13 am at 10:13 am |