Obama: No offense taken at Eastwood speech
September 2nd, 2012

Obama: No offense taken at Eastwood speech

(CNN) – President Barack Obama said in an interview published Sunday he took no offense at Clint Eastwood's prime-time address at the Republican National Convention, in which the legendary actor and director posed questions to an empty chair, which he said represented the Democratic incumbent.

"One thing about being president or running for president - if you're easily offended, you should probably choose another profession," Obama told USA Today.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Eastwood's speech came the same night Mitt Romney accepted the Republican presidential nomination in Tampa, Florida. The sprawling, off-the-cuff address drew criticism from some, who said Eastwood's unorthodox remarks overshadowed Romney. The Republican nominee's advisers wrote off the criticism, saying the crowd found Eastwood's remarks funny.

"He's a great messenger. The guy is an American treasure," Romney senior strategist Stuart Stevens said.

Obama agreed with that sentiment in the USA Today interview, calling Eastwood "a great actor, and an even better director."

"I think the last few movies that he's made have been terrific," the president added.

That appreciation, however, doesn't mean Democrats will try to mimic Eastwood's performance at their own confab, slated to begin in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Tuesday.

"I think we'll be playing this pretty straight," Obama said.

1. Jim R

For that portion of the electorate that is both educated and that uses ability to reason, here's that will be remember from Clint's performance... "Obama, you're our employee and it's time to let you go".

September 2, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  2. Sirned

When Anne Romney talked about living in a basement apartment she left out that both of She and Mitt had stock portfolios with loads of ready cash to pull out at any time to use... Oh those left out details..lol

September 2, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  3. flowersunshineandgymsocks

If this had been done to Romney/Ryan they would be crying to Fox and Rush.

September 2, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. Be honest

Repsond to Amir.
    Amir
    Obama will take US to another war...

September 2, 2012 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |

In order for Obama to take the country to "another" war, Obama has to take the very same country to the "first" war in order for him to take the country to the "second", or as you have "ignorantly" described, "another war". Since it was Bush who took the country to the first one in the recent year, how on earth could Obama take US to a second war when he wasn't even the one who took US to the first one. Thus, either you can't count or you are ignorant to history, or you just got hit in the head by Eastwood's speech! In any case, it's all really sad.

September 2, 2012 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  5. Kenny K

@BJ

I'm still trying to figure out the tale she told about when her and Mitt first got married living in a basement apartment living off macaroni and tuna for dinner who she think believed that crock of cow manure, and thats saying it nicely
    ______________________________________
    I wonder too. I thought Mitt's father was a president of a company and a presidential candidate before Romney got married? Well, her "basement living" story may be true if it is like the son of my ex-boss who lived in his parents' basement of $28 million home.

September 2, 2012 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. SeenEnough2

For the record I dont see Obama as half white or have black. I see him as half the man he said he was. To me he.s like a used car salesman telling you how good it is was what he can do for you and after a while you had enough and just walk away... I wish he would take his own advice and "choose another profession"

September 2, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. Dave in Indy

... and THAT'S the way you handle trivial criticism from an American icon. Appreciate the value in the person, and respect the person's right to express opinions freely.

September 2, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  8. Ann'sTheMan!

Clint was later quoted as saying "Wait, he didn't take offense to that? Well, I guess I'll have to try harder next time."

September 2, 2012 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. LOL

So by the standards of "we can let those employees go" I say we fire all Republicans in Congress. They've been failing for 4 years.

September 2, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  10. Martha in CF

This is the trouble with the elections lately. The differences spoken about should be about issues not the personal attacks. This is probably the hate and the attacks to people who are different from us. But, I must say the redumblicans started it on Obama's inauguration day–no cooperation whatsoever on their part. I hope the American people get smart and vote the redumblicans out--some of them have been there TOO long.

September 2, 2012 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  11. Lulany

In his response Obama has shown once again what a class act he is and how sharply his character and behavior contrasts with his opponent's.

September 2, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  12. Orion

Maybe Clint was fliming oa movie that nii=ght.

September 2, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  13. dsmidiman

I'm 57 yrs old and Clint Eastwood has always been a do-gooder, hero in my mind due to the person he potrays himself to be in his movies. And I've seen all his movies, some of them a number of times. After hearing his speech at the RNC it makes me look at him in a totally different frame. Sad that ten minutes of nonsense coming out of someone's mouth can destroy 30 plus yrs of liking and supporting that person. He's so old now he probably won't be doing anymore movies, which is fine with me because I'll never go to another movie or supoort this guy in anyway anymore...

September 2, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  14. Kenny K

@SeenEnough2

____________________________
    Can you be specific on what President Obama did, or did not do, for you to reach that conclusion, including the role of GOP and Senator McConell's determination on President Obama's day one?

September 2, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. mjw

Like my President, I did not watch or listen to any of that fiasco, all I know is what I hear from the media and so far it has not been very positive. The hate and intolerance by the so called christians and right to lifers is disgusting. My would not register a percentage of what Romney makes and I do tithe at 10% and other charities and volunteer and raised two beautiful daughters who are contibuting to society in a positive way because of student loans. So big whup -ti-do!!! Where is Mitt's taxes and why would anyone trust him to lead this country when he does not believe in this country enough that he has to stash his wealth overseas, he has five sons and none of them have served in the military. Even Princes William and Harry are serving....what does it say about this family. Then the wife comes out trying to humanize him and she comes up with some unbelievable stories that should let us believe "poor Mitt and Ann and the 5 boys" lived ordinary lives. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 2, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. petena

Every day we see children, students and adults disrespecting authority. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with someone in a leadership position, you do not talk down to someone. Its no wonder people get "pissed" and just go out and get guns to get rid of their rage. To Mr. Eastwood: You were a real dissapoitment.

September 2, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  17. The Prince of Common Cents

Kudos to our president for being the adult in the room. Take it like a man, stay focused, keep your opponent on defense (while you stay on offense), continue to define your opponent FIRST before he defines you, stay on message (It's the MIDDLE CLASS, stupid!) and you will win re-election....

September 2, 2012 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  18. MaryM

And The Presidents statement is Why he is the President and NOT Mitt the twit. Mitt, hows that foreign trip workin out for you

September 2, 2012 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  19. steve-0

Republicans now love Hollywood and ignore the soldiers in combat.

September 2, 2012 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  20. The King

What I took home from Clints rant was "I guess you didn't talk to the Russians about their 10 years their" As if Obama had started the asinine Afghan war. And, his "Romney will take them out tomorrow" line regarding US troop withdrawl. Funny, but I dont recall romney saying that, and that crowd of warmongering chickenhawks cheered that line?!?!Surreal indeed.

September 2, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  21. Aliwisious Davendander III

What's striking here is the rabid republican trolls who are probably either the same person posting under different names or paid plants by the GOP seething at how cool and calm the president is. I have to say I'm eating it up!!! I love seeing how absolutely cool the president is and how he always has been and how it just sends the republicans into orbit! Kill em' with kindness Mr. President! "he really doesn't have think skin, why I saw that one MOVIE by that republican guy that obviously has an agenda say that the president is all hateful and full of rage and stuff, so it must be true..." hahaha... Man the faux outrage just makes my day. I don't want this election cycle to end. The mouth breather republicans are just too funny when they get all worked up.

September 2, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  22. davetharave

The Democrats this week should have Tom Hanks come out and give a speech to a great big pile of cash.

September 2, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  23. Pander Bear

Once again our President has shown grace and class in response to childish disrespect from the right wing.

September 2, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  24. stingray201

For all those that think if someone is rich, they have always been rich. I don't know the Romneys financial position in those days, but neither do you. Just because his dad was governor, ran for president and ran the American Motors. American motors was never a front runner in American and world markets. It was mediocre at best. That still didn't make him rich. At least the Romneys worked for what they have. Since it is a lot,they must have done well. I guess Obamas kids will be labeled as rich for the rest of their lives, even though it may never be true.

September 2, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  25. marinedad05

Obama campaign: No offense taken

Romney Campaign: Our Republican crowd loved it, it was funny.

Wonder who the adult here is?

September 2, 2012 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |