Ann Romney challenges women to 'wake up'
September 5th, 2012

Ann Romney challenges women to 'wake up'

(CNN) - They are seen as their husbands' top surrogates, and the day after first lady Michelle Obama made the case for her husband at the Democratic National Convention, Ann Romney traveled to the battleground of Ohio Wednesday to make the case for the Republican challenger.

Her husband, Mitt Romney, is attuned to women's struggles, especially their economic struggles, and, Ann Romney said, "I know that Mitt will be there for you."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Women, you need to wake up," she told the largely female audience at a "Women For Mitt" rally in Findlay, Ohio. "Women have to ask themselves who is going to... be there for you. I can promise you, I know that Mitt will be there for you, he will stand up for you, he will hear your voices, he knows how to fix an economy, he's a can do kind of guy, he's a turnaround guy."

The latest CNN/ORC International Poll, released Tuesday, showed a "gender gap" between the two candidates: 54% of women surveyed said they were leaning towards or supporting Obama, while only 42% said the same of Romney. Asked who is more in touch with the issues facing women, 56% of all voters surveyed named Obama and 36% named Romney.

Ann Romney said that on campaign swings around the country, she and her husband have "heard about how many women are struggling in this economy more than the men are."

While Ann Romney sometimes campaigns at her husband's side, on Wednesday she was on the stump in Ohio as her husband was in Vermont preparing for the series of presidential debates this fall.

Michelle Obama, meanwhile, had a series of appearances in Charlotte, North Carolina, where Democrats were gathering for their party's convention, and where her husband was slated to arrive later in the afternoon. He is to accept his party's nomination for reelection on Thursday.

In her Tuesday evening primetime address, Michelle Obama touched on the issues important to women voters. In addition to talking about women's health care, she told the story of her husband's grandmother, who Michelle Obama said professionally "moved quickly up the ranks, but like so many women, she hit a glass ceiling."

"When it comes to rebuilding our economy, Barack is thinking about folks like my dad and like his grandmother," the first lady said. "He's thinking about the pride that comes from a hard day's work. That is why he signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to help women get equal pay for equal work."

On the campaign trail Wednesday, Ann Romney told an often relayed story that after her husband's 2008 presidential race, she did not want him to reenter the ring.

"My husband was being demonized, lied about," she said, "and now we're really getting it, as you know."

"I am so grateful that people are now standing up and saying this is the guy that has integrity, decency, goodness. And this is the guy that cares about you and that is why we are running," she told the crowd mainly comprised of women. "We are not running to make our lives better. We are running for you."

And Ann Romney seized upon a metaphor which her husband and Obama have tossed around in recent days on the stump.

The GOP presidential candidate likened Obama's record on unemployment as "a coach that's 0 and 23 million" and said that "it's time to get a new coach." On Monday, Obama fired back, telling voters in Ohio to "punt" Romney and his running mate away. "It won't work. It won't win the game. You don't need that coach. That's a losing season," the president said.

Ann Romney revived the metaphor, telling supporters at her rally that, "It's time to fire the coach."

"We are zero and 23-million. That's the score in this game," she said. "And those kids, I promise you, you will have a better future if Mitt is the president. And women if you want a better future, if you want a better job, if you want better hope for you, you'd better vote for Mitt."

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Mitt Romney • Ohio
  1. The Real Tom Paine

So, the aristocrat tells women to " wake up"? This is how she makes the case for her husband, by telling women they are stupid? Nothing like being patronised. As far as the score of "0-23,000,000", that's roughly the difference between the annual income that Ann Romney enjoys versus the income many of the women who saw their jobs outsourced to China have to deal with, a practice her husband pioneered and profitted from enormously. Sorry Ann, no sale. This is not a Mormon Relief Society Meeting you are addressing.

September 5, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. PJ

"Now we're really getting it as you know". Yes we know. You can't take as good as you give. Time to toughen
    up. The whining season is over. Tell "hubbie" to get with the specifics, come out of that "undisclosed location",
    be honest and quit the tap dance.

September 5, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. Poetic Justice

Anne needs to "wake up" and small Michelle

September 5, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Are we all going to get magic undergarments?

September 5, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. "Great" Republican

I got news for Mr's Robmey. WOMEN ARE AWAKE AND VOTING FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA.

September 5, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. BlkPwr817

"I love you women" was her & the GOP's only cry last week. They want to regulate what goes on in a women's body & take away any forms of care that would help them or their families. The thing is "Ann" women in American have already woken up. You heard yesterday about actual policy that was put in place by Obama that was geared towards equal pay & etiquette care for women. We heard from mothers of combat soldiers & mothers who deal with difficult medical procedures speak on Obama's behalf. We heard absolutely none of that last week. Not even mentioning the war that we're currently in. You're gonna have to do better than "I love you women" & "Just take Mitt's word for it" if you expect to get the female vote in 2012...

September 5, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. scmom

I'm sorry but all I see is someone just wanting to be president because his father was not. But I think his father would be so disappointed in Mitt if he was alive. I am sure they are nice in their circle but no way in hell do they understand me. I know it's one thing to believe in what you believe in but to honestly think that Flip Romney and Lyin Ryan want what's best for all americans is the biggest lie they will ever tell. And I have common sense not some political nut so I can plainly see what this election is all about.

September 5, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. Reality Bites

Mitt wants to take away my child credit and my mortgage interest rate credit while getting more tax credits for his dancing dressage horse.. $77,000 a year he already gets to write off and he wants to increase that while denying me a credit for my two dependents and my home ownership when I make just a little less then his horse write off.. yeah, it really sounds like he has my back Ann.

September 5, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. Mark

Wow, some of these comments are the most uninformed comments I think I have ever seen. I truely encourage those who are not blinded by such partisanship to look at the choices we have coming up in this election, and to not just post comments that make you feel better about attacking one side or the other.

September 5, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  10. Vic of New York

Am I better off than I was four years ago? Hell, Yeah!!

Am I making less money today than I would be making had it not been for Bush-League George and the Republicans? You better believe that too.

Thanks to George Jr. I saw the seniors and deal makers of Wall Street engorge their pockets while the rest of us worked rediculous hours under intense pressure just to keep our jobs. Thanks to George Jr. and the Republicans, I saw thousands of desirable IT jobs go to India, Russia and China – it wasn't just manufacturing.

Have we come back from the brink? No. Will we ever? I don't know. What I DO know is that it won't be on "Richie Rich" Mitt Romney's watch if I have any say in it; and that I will never vote for a Repugnican again.

Sorry Ann, you can take the "Stepford Wife" story and run it somewhere else.

September 5, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. Arun

Anne, stop talking crap and tell us what exactly your hubby will do for the country. All you and your party have talked about is that you will do this and do that. You have yet to tell the American people how you will do it!!

September 5, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  12. Laverne

I am sure Ann Romney is a lovely lady. However, she can only relate to the women who belong to the country clubs and have maids and nannies! She should just start a support group because she will surely need support after her husband gets his ass whupping in 2 months.

September 5, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. youpeople

Romney has no desire to help women. Republican Platform clearly states this. They want to regulate a womb, but not the goverment, big business, the environment, gun control, etc.........throw women back to square one.

September 5, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. 1twinsfan

Using the football game analogy, Romney is the 3rd string QB who gets put into the game in the 4th qtr with the score in his teams' favor by 31 points, 15 seconds left and if he throws a successful TD pass, tells everyone he threw the winning touchdown.

September 5, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  15. thetruthandnothingbutthetruth

Anne has just opened herself up to the campaign...its on Mrs. pasta and tuna fish!

September 5, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. kakaraka

What? Mitt Romney knows how to fix the economy? What economy is this lady talking about? Mitt Romney couldn't govern the relatively small state of Massachusett and fixed its economy but created a mess Gov Patrick is now cleaning up. How can he fix the economy of the free world? I don't buy this.

September 5, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  17. cali girl

No thank you, I will pass, Ann-toinette, "let them eat cake"
    I am wide awake, make no mistake about it.

September 5, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  18. Winning

Wow, what a persuasive argument she gave. She goes on about how women will be better off than Romney, and then provides absolutely nothing to support her statement. They just should't let her talk anymore, she does more harm than good.

September 5, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  19. Beau Ciel

It is more and more clear that Ann Romney is desperate to be first lady. I have been a Republican for over 40 years. I'm a wife, mother, and grandmother. I own my own business. I WILL NOT be voting for any Republicans this fall. They no longer represent me. I want my daughters and granddaughters to be paid the same as men for the same work. I want my daughters and granddaughters to have health care choices, as well as choices in the event of rape. I don't want to hear one more super pac commercial! And I'm not interested in hearing Mitt and Ann Romney tell me how successful they are! Right! While the rest of us invest in America and pay our higher tax rates. NO WAY Mitt and Ann!

September 5, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Leila

Ooops! We are awake and your husband is sending his butler.

September 5, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. lindylou123

I think you are the one who needs to wake up – your husband and his guys are going to take away women's rights to birth control- birth control? How is this possible in 2012?
    And health insurance- how can you support that?
    And protections for the environment – "You people' still want your tax returns lady – thank God you will never be in the White House

September 5, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. John

She is a phony just like Mitt. They make the perfect couple......

September 5, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  23. 0099196

The Republicans need to realize that Mitt needs to step up his game on conjuring women voters. Ann stepping out to say a few words directly to women does not change anything.

September 5, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  24. Ambrose Smith

Has she decided which Cadillac she is going to drive today? Yeah, she can relate to the average working mom. What a fake she is!

September 5, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. lolo

Of course they are liars. They just want to be in the white house for the fun of it. To see how good it looks on them, such phonies. It is definitely not to help the American people.

September 5, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |