Democrats: Christians CAN vote for us!
Democrats pray at a morning gathering at the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC.
September 5th, 2012

Democrats: Christians CAN vote for us!

Charlotte, North Carolina (CNN) - Heads are bowed in prayer in room 211 at the Charlotte Convention Center.

At the Democratic National Convention, people of faith gather at a daily prayer session. They also work to figure out a way to spread the message that you can have deep religious convictions and still vote for a Democrat. It's a puzzle the party has been trying to crack for years.

FULL STORY
  1. Padraig

If you are a Christian one of the leading premises is protect life. The President and Vice President are pro-choice. How are they following Christian dogma. I understand the counterpoint is through social programs but isn't protecting a life a major part of that social program.

September 5, 2012 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Not all Democrats are Christians and not all Christians are Democrats, Period. Frankly speaking I can't see what's so puzzling about that.

September 5, 2012 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. rev dan hartley

give me a break.please-take god out of the program platform-then say,christians can vote for us.promoting gay rmarraige-abortion rights-some nerve.

September 5, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Willis

Christians, Yes Tabby Nackle Lds Cult Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!

September 5, 2012 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. Ceddy

God is everywhere!!!

September 5, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. WiredWeirdinSF

And while you are at it see who those people who are trying to ban religious Christmas celebrations an displays vote for. See who is fighting to take God off our money and see who they are voting for and then look for a mention of God in the DNC platform. You will see how hypocritical and devious democrat liberals are.

September 5, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. myviewis

Ceddy

God is everywhere!!!
    -----------------

Actually, the Democrats decided to keep God out their convention.

September 5, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. Deb in MT

I'll never forget–back in 1996–when my uber "Christian/Fundie" relatives were visiting during the DNC, and I was watching the prayer invocation on TV: my relatives–Limbaugh followers all–dropped their collective jaws and my aunt gasped out that 'the Democrats are...are...well, they're praying'!

Had to stop myself from snarking back that the goat sacrifices would begin shortly. Sad, really, that otherwise intelligent & good people could have been so thoroughly brainwashed by the bloated bloviator and a young FOX "news" network.

I see that hasn't changed.

September 5, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  9. Al-NY,NY

Padraig

---------------–

another is to kind to others, epsecially those less fortunate... the GOP follows this premise....NOT

September 5, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  10. PJ

One premise of Christianity is to "judge not". Maybe the Republicans forgot that part, along with, "bear no false
    witness", "be good stewards of the Earth", and we are all God's people. Some proclaim Christianity while.
    in a sense, picking the pockets of the "flock" in order to maintain their fine life style.
    So, nobody is perfect, especially those who pretend to be.

September 5, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. DJ

Christians can vote for the Dems, true. The question is, WHY would any Christian vote for a party that removes God from its platform, does not respect Israel, thinks we belong to the government, and has a president that believes in killing children born during an abortion?????!!?

September 5, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

Religion has been used as a control mechanism on their populations by conservative governments for as long as recorded history. Religion is used to define right and wrong, and to suppress creative or original thoughts. It is used to lock people into a niche, which actually deprives them of aspirations, reinforcing trust in their leaders.

Their have been quite a number of works of fiction that explore this issue.

September 5, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. Silence DoGood

@wiredwierdinsf "See who is fighting to take God off our money"
    The original motto of the US ("e pluribus unum"), the money, the pledge of allegiance, and most other government expressions did not have God at the start. If the founding fathers were alive today THEY would be trying to take it off.

September 5, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. Deb in MT

According to so many RW GOPers, Democrats cannot possibly be Christians. So, as it is written in the revised Republican Bible (Matthew 25:35-40):

"For I was hungry and you told me to get off my lazy butt and get a job; I was thirsty and you gave me polluted water to drink; I was a stranger and you told me to self-deport; I was naked and you had me arrested for indecent exposure (after you posted my pictures on facebook for a laugh); I was sick and you told me to hurry up & die already to save money; I was in prison and you bailed me out to run your Wall Street equity capital firm."

There. Fixed that pesky Jesus quote for ya (He was such a bleeding heart about the plight of the poor–almost a socialist if you take a look at His words).

September 5, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. myviewis

Al-NY,NY
    ----------------------

We do follow it, we also know when we are being played by those who manipulate the system for their existence. Jesus teaches us to help and give of ourselves, he also teaches us not to be fooled.

September 5, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. Reggiedw

I doubt if true christians can vote for democrats. Democrats have become too ungodly and everything they stand for are against the teachings of the bible. That is why our country is suffering so much because of these ideology teachings from the democratic party. It seems people are accepting more of their democratic ideas than from the bible and churches.

September 5, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. Silence DoGood

@wiredwierdinsf "See who is fighting to take God off our money"
    I don't know what country you are from but one sample 1776 continental dollar said "fugio – mind your business" (reference to time flies) on one side and "we are one" on the other. Those crazy socialist/godless patriots! (that is sarcasm for those humor-challenged).

If the founding fathers were alive today THEY would be trying to take it off.

September 5, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Say_NO_to_four_more_years

DNC = Don't Know Christianity

DNC removed GOD from platform, will not acknowledge Israel or Jerusalem as it's capital, accepts abortion as a norm, accepts same se-x marriage as OK, and sees government as the giver of our rights instead of GOD.

How can anyone vote for a Democratic?

September 5, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

WWF wrote:

...See who is fighting to take God off our money and see who they are voting for and then look for a mention of God in the DNC platform.....
    ---------------
    It was the McCarthy inspired Republicans in the 1950s who added "In God We Trust" to our currency. The founding fathers clearly wanted to establish a secular government. Freedom OF religion also means freedom FROM religion.

September 5, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. PJ

@Reggiedw:
    Replace all of the "Democrat" words with "Republican" and I will agree with you.

September 5, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. myviewis

Deb in MT

---------------------

Actually, you wrote the many thoughts, expressions many Democrats wrote me when I was angry that President Obama waited to visit Louisiana and Mississippi on the 6th day and he even campaigned the day he went to Louisiana and didn't arrive until 4:30PM. I was even told that those people deserved what happened to them because they keep choosing to live in those areas.

September 5, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. Silence DoGood

@"Say_NO..." "government as the giver of our rights instead of GOD"

Actually Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence didn't think they were given either by government or God. They were "self evident" coming from " Laws of Nature and of Nature's God" so it sounds like they come from either Physics or Nature Worship creation. You mean ANYONE can have their own ideas and religion in this country???

September 5, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |