Conventions leave atheists asking: What political party represents me?
September 6th, 2012

Conventions leave atheists asking: What political party represents me?

(CNN) – This convention season has not been good for atheists.

The word "God" was reinserted in the Democratic platform after it had been removed. A plan to raise atheist billboards in the convention cities was stymied by opponents. And though there were preachers and rabbis and other religious leaders opening and closing each day of each convention, there wasn’t an avowed atheist talking up unbelief on either convention’s speaking list.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Democratic National Convention • Religion
  1. jackthegeek

Thank you Mr. President for standing what's right in this country. These pathetic losers should make their own political party and go to hell !!!

September 6, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Fortinbras

Atheists dont impose. They are the unreligion. If ever tried to impose, thex would be no better than the religions they reject.

September 6, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  3. Land of the High Sky

September 6, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  4. Charlie Barrett

I think the delegates need to sue the DNC for declaring a FRAUDULENT voice vote result.

(not because I'm atheist which I'm not, but just because it WAS Fraudulent. Never buy a used car from a Democratic, even if he's a rising star in the party.)

September 6, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. JD

September 6, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

Good question. Freedom OF religion in a secular state also means freedom FROM religion.

September 6, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

The problem is that there is too much desire to keep some groups interested. I say this to the atheists, don't worry about the mention of G-d in there be a put off. Look at the policy in general because that shows what they are supposed to act on. Remember that the majority of the founding fathers were religious (NOTE NOT CHRISTIAN BUT RELIGIOUS) and believe in G-d on some level. It is not likely to leave the little meniton here or there in politics for some time.

September 6, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. myviewis

I'm actually shocked that Atheist had not figured out by now that Democrats never commit to anything. Just like Obama, he always backpedals the next day. It is always someone else's fault for not hearing the word IF, maybe, could be or actually what I said was or I said that I might but it is never a Democrats fault that things turned out different.

Which is why I have to ask, why should we trust these Democrats to run our country 4 more years???
    Why should we believe anything these Democrats tell us, if they always end up backpedaling??????
    What is really going on in the White House, are things going as they say they are or are they backpedaling a lot?????

September 6, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"I hate to break it to you jackthegreek, and I hope your mommy is nearby to hold your hand when you read this, but hell doesn't really exist. In no more real than heaven, Jebus, Yahweh or the loch ness monster.'

Interesting that you mention Nessy, because I just read an article the other day about how LA is using their school voucher program to eviscerate the public school system and send thousands of children to religious schools that got approval for vouchers by a rubber-stamp GOP/Teatroll committee full of ideologues who want to use the voucher system to funnel kids to these religious schools in order to indoctrinate them and, they hope, create a whole new generation of right-wing fundamentalist loons. Some of the wonderful things they teach included that Nessy is real and is proof that man and dinosaurs walked the planet together peacefully and that evolution is a failed theory.

September 6, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"Hilarious. Subtlety did not seem to work with those crazies. I guess when you are that fanatical and extreme you just don't care. There has been a seismic hard left turn in the Democratic Party in the last 10 years. It was President Clinton, the centrist grand communicator who even a lot of the GOP seem to love for all his warts he brought prosperity and then a string of left wing ideologues just like Obama."

You mean the same Clinton who tried to pass a health care reform proposal way to the left and the same Obama who basically passed what the GOP proposed in opposition to Clinton's health care plan? The objective facts do not support your mythological "hard left turn" in the Dem party. Not even remotely. The objective facts do, however, quite clearly and unarguably show that the GOP, in response to a very centrist Obama getting elected, jacked up the Teatrolls as their political cover for moving way way WAAAAAAAAAY to the right of their prior ideologies and policy positions, for resurrecting harder stances on abortion and other domestic social issues in order to more clearly divide the voting public and in order to shift the appearance of where the "center" lies so that Obama's centrist positions would look as though they are way left of the "new center." Smoke and mirrors...it's all the GOP has left other than hate.

September 6, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. Luke Brown

Seriously, people? Maybe the party such include witches and devil worshipers too.

Quite honestly, I believe in God and I believe that God has blessed our great country ... and its President! I am a Democrat, and most Democrats I know think the the same way. Sorry if that sounds narrow-minded. Obama for America 2012!

September 6, 2012 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  12. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

The aim is to make sure the resuscitation of GOP trickle down bull does not happen. That the platform includes the word God bothers this atheist MAYBE 1 yocto meter.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

September 6, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  13. RayRay

This speech can only be a sniveling attempt to blame others for his incompetence.

September 6, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  14. T'sah From Virginia

I think religion should stay out of politics because it is so obvious there are "many" religions in the audience (at least on the LEFT side – but on the RIGHT, you couldn't tell). In addition, Romney/Lyan preach the holy ghost and then LIE in the same breath!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!

September 6, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  15. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@RayRay

September 6, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
    ******************************************************************************************************************
    Off topic much?