(CNN) - Responding to President Barack Obama's convention speech, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said the difference in the race is the choice of "a new direction vs. more of the same."
The message was reflected in a statement issued by the Romney campaign, as well as a separate Romney campaign messaging memo to surrogates obtained by CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.
"Tonight President Obama laid out the choice in this election, making the case for more of the same policies that haven't worked for the past four years," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement to reporters. "He offered more promises, but he hasn't kept the promises he made four years ago. Americans will hold President Obama accountable for his record – they know they're not better off and that it's time to change direction.
"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore America's promise and deliver a better future for our country," he continued.
The messaging memo, obtained by CNN from a GOP source:
Message Points: A New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· Four years ago, Barack Obama stood in front of Greek columns and told a cheering stadium that he'd make life better for Americans.
· Now, the critical question is this: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"
· Americans know the answer is "no." They are not better off than they were four years ago.
· No president has ever asked to be re-elected with this many Americans out of work.
· Tonight, President Obama failed to make the case why the next four years will be any different than the last four.
· He offered more promises, but he's failed to keep the promises he made four years ago.
o Even President Obama himself called his own record "incomplete" when asked to grade his time in office.
· Despite President Obama's promises, things did not get better. We're in the midst of the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression.
23 million Americans are struggling for work.
Chronic unemployment is the highest in recorded history.
More than half the jobs created since the recession ended are low-wage jobs.
Household income has fallen by more than $4,000.
More than 10 million homeowners are underwater on their mortgages.
Gas prices have more than doubled.
Family healthcare premiums have increased by more than $2,300.
Poverty rates are headed toward a 50-year high.
Nearly 47 million Americans are on food stamps.
· The last four years may be the best President Obama can do – but it's not the best America can do.
· The American people will hold this president accountable for his record of unmet goals and unfulfilled promises.
· Mitt Romney is the man for this moment. He will help us deliver a better future for all Americans.
Mitt Romney vs. President Obama: New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· President Obama's policies have crushed the middle class. He owns the worst economic record of any president in modern history.
· What we can expect from President Obama's second term is more of the same:
o President Obama's plan to raise taxes on small business won't add jobs, it will eliminate them
o His assault on coal and gas and oil will send energy and manufacturing jobs to China
o His trillion-dollar cuts to our military will eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs, and also put our security at greater risk
o His $716 billion cut to Medicare to finance Obamacare will both hurt today's seniors, and depress innovation – and jobs – in medicine
o And his trillion-dollar deficits will slow our economy, restrain employment, and cause wages to stall
· Mitt Romney is running for president to help create a better future. Mitt Romney's plan for a Stronger Middle Class will create 12 million new jobs. It has five steps:
o First, by 2020, North America will be energy independent by taking full advantage of our oil and coal and gas and nuclear and renewables.
o Second, we will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of today and the careers of tomorrow. When it comes to the school your child will attend, every parent should have a choice, and every child should have a chance.
o Third, we will make trade work for America by forging new trade agreements. And when nations cheat in trade, there will be unmistakable consequences.
o Fourth, to assure every entrepreneur and every job creator that their investments in America will not vanish as have those in Greece, we will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget.
o And fifth, Mitt Romney will champion small businesses, America's engine of job growth. That means reducing taxes on business, not raising them. It means simplifying and modernizing the regulations that hurt small business the most. And it means that we must rein in the skyrocketing cost of healthcare by repealing and replacing Obamacare.
· If we want a new direction, we need a new president.
BACKGROUND: THE OBAMA ECONOMY IN PERSPECTIVE
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Highest Unemployment Rate For A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· CARTER: President Jimmy Carter Has The Next Highest Rate; In August 1980, The Unemployment Rate Was 7.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The Current Unemployment Rate Is 8.3 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Weakest GDP Growth For A Democrat Incumbent Since Jimmy Carter In 1980:
· CARTER: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 1980 Was -7.9 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 2012 Was 1.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention As Americans Face The Most Difficult Job Hunt Under A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· JOHNSON: President Lyndon Johnson Was The Next Highest; In August 1964, It Took An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 13.0 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: In August 2012, It Takes An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 38.8 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
Wow....this was ready at the get go...almost like it was written before he even began to speak. What symbolism of the Republicans plugging their ears and just attacking on nothing substantial. I especially like the part where everything is blamed on Obama and not the rest of Congress....that was cute.
The problem is that Romney hasn't fully spelled out his positions and why they are better than Obama. Romney is for letting companies do just about whatever they want. Obama really wants everyone to play by the same rules. I think that does make a difference.
The fact checkers have been proving Romney's noted points to be incorrect for the past week, but like the "big lie" the more you tell it eventually people will think it is true. LOL
I agree Chris, the Romney response was too quick. And, by the way, I think America has chosen a new direction: forward.
The President speech was about unity, compromise and hope..he is right together we shape our future..no one left behind, no to hate, division and control..no to the "CEO" president that robed the country and hid his tax returns..
Mitt and paul needs to get a Life there are tons of People that are voting for Obama and he has made a difference I am on Medicare and I don't want to see medicare going to Vouchers for I am totally Disabled Home bound only get out to the store and to the Dr's and Mitt your Crazy to think I will Vote for a person that Fires people, and willl take away from the Middle Class. Your Plans r dump and insentivate and Obama's Plans will work so Get a Life dude and stop attacking obama he is the Best Man for the Presidency and your Not Shalom Michelle
Obama killed tonight. I don't understand how anyone would want to vote for the other guys...
Which one is the "new direction"? They both sound like more of the same to me. Romney's "plan" is just to return to the policies of George W. Bush. The same policies that led to our economic collapse that they now place solely on Obama. At least Obama's got us moving in the right direction again, even if slower than we'd like.
Chris the democrats spoke before Romney even took the stage, now you have a problem. Both campaigns try to outdo the other, the democrats waited till after the republican had their convention, waited till they presented their side and then they attacked, just like they been doing for the last 3 1/2 years, wait till the other side puts forth a plan then attack, but never present anything of your own.
The only new direction Romney can offer America, is, if he decides to be truthful and more specific. Show his tax papers and swear he would never lie to the voters. It's immoral, beyond the pale, for a man seeking the highest office to stoop to the lowest form of human behavior- dishonest.
I was truly undecided at one point in time, but after viewing both conventions, I know which party has offered real solutions with honesty, not telling us what we want to hear, but telling us exactly how it is.
I will stand with the President.
OBAMA/BIDEN 2012!!!!!!! LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN, AMERICA! REGISTER VOTERS, SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!
The whole DNC speeches made me realize how each member considers themselves a part of this great nation, willing to work together to solve the problems and progress forward to a new and better future. Romney just sounds like he's from another planet...Kolob maybe...
Dear Romney , How can you write and cite all this in so short of time?? Oh yeah , wait Republican's dont write their own speeches..
I thnk an incomplete is now worth more than a mission accomplished...a lot more honest
His speech was so good I made a donation afterwards... OBAMA/BIDEN 2012
More of the same? No thanks Mitt, I've had enough of Dubya. This country can't survive the 1% sucking the life out of us.
Run along now you tool of the 1%. Leave governing to the grown ups.
How can Mitt Talk about Obama speech when Mittens speech was full of nothing. Mittens said nothing on what he would do. Obama for sure in 2012!!
I believe Obama made an excellent speech. "More of the same." Well, yes, we will keep on the path in giving tax cuts to small businesses and the middle class and insure the 1% pay their fair share.
But, but. but, Mitt, you stated all day that you would not listen to the speech. Which is more ingrained......lying or indecision?
Will someone please explain to the republican party the unemployment in 1964 cannot be compared to the unemployment of today. Especially with a Congress of Republicans who are unwilling to do anything to help this nation recover, because they believe it will help Obama get elected. And please stop bringing up Jimmy Carter. Osama Bin Laden's death and plethora of Al-Qaeda leaders proves Barack Obama is an efficient leader when it comes to foreign policy and protecting our nation.
The response was quick because they had a transcript of it prior to the delivery likely.
►the choice between "a new direction vs. more of the same."◄
OMG, the Republicans finally got something RIGHT – President Obama is the NEW DIRECTION and electing RobMe will be more the same of the BUSH era!!!
►"He offered more promises, but he hasn't kept the promises he made four years ago.◄
Dang, ya'll – You didn't get the memo – WE ARE BETTER OFF THAN WE WERE FOUR YEARS AGO!!!
All 10 points mentioned above are based on LIES – I will stick with HOPE over being DOPED!!!
Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!!
the rebuttal was released even before the speech was halfway over. Sore loser....
President Obama did not say more of the same of these last four years it's the four years prior to that he was conveying. When we were on the brink of a depression .Romney response was very fast and inconsistent to what was really said and to what really is. I do believe Obama will win because we the people believe in ourselves. Unity is correct !
OBAMA 2012 !
Funny, he said he wouldnt be watching the President speak...