(CNN) - Responding to President Barack Obama's convention speech, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said the difference in the race is the choice of "a new direction vs. more of the same."
The message was reflected in a statement issued by the Romney campaign, as well as a separate Romney campaign messaging memo to surrogates obtained by CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.
"Tonight President Obama laid out the choice in this election, making the case for more of the same policies that haven't worked for the past four years," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement to reporters. "He offered more promises, but he hasn't kept the promises he made four years ago. Americans will hold President Obama accountable for his record – they know they're not better off and that it's time to change direction.
"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore America's promise and deliver a better future for our country," he continued.
The messaging memo, obtained by CNN from a GOP source:
Message Points: A New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· Four years ago, Barack Obama stood in front of Greek columns and told a cheering stadium that he'd make life better for Americans.
· Now, the critical question is this: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"
· Americans know the answer is "no." They are not better off than they were four years ago.
· No president has ever asked to be re-elected with this many Americans out of work.
· Tonight, President Obama failed to make the case why the next four years will be any different than the last four.
· He offered more promises, but he's failed to keep the promises he made four years ago.
o Even President Obama himself called his own record "incomplete" when asked to grade his time in office.
· Despite President Obama's promises, things did not get better. We're in the midst of the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression.
23 million Americans are struggling for work.
Chronic unemployment is the highest in recorded history.
More than half the jobs created since the recession ended are low-wage jobs.
Household income has fallen by more than $4,000.
More than 10 million homeowners are underwater on their mortgages.
Gas prices have more than doubled.
Family healthcare premiums have increased by more than $2,300.
Poverty rates are headed toward a 50-year high.
Nearly 47 million Americans are on food stamps.
· The last four years may be the best President Obama can do – but it's not the best America can do.
· The American people will hold this president accountable for his record of unmet goals and unfulfilled promises.
· Mitt Romney is the man for this moment. He will help us deliver a better future for all Americans.
Mitt Romney vs. President Obama: New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· President Obama's policies have crushed the middle class. He owns the worst economic record of any president in modern history.
· What we can expect from President Obama's second term is more of the same:
o President Obama's plan to raise taxes on small business won't add jobs, it will eliminate them
o His assault on coal and gas and oil will send energy and manufacturing jobs to China
o His trillion-dollar cuts to our military will eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs, and also put our security at greater risk
o His $716 billion cut to Medicare to finance Obamacare will both hurt today's seniors, and depress innovation – and jobs – in medicine
o And his trillion-dollar deficits will slow our economy, restrain employment, and cause wages to stall
· Mitt Romney is running for president to help create a better future. Mitt Romney's plan for a Stronger Middle Class will create 12 million new jobs. It has five steps:
o First, by 2020, North America will be energy independent by taking full advantage of our oil and coal and gas and nuclear and renewables.
o Second, we will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of today and the careers of tomorrow. When it comes to the school your child will attend, every parent should have a choice, and every child should have a chance.
o Third, we will make trade work for America by forging new trade agreements. And when nations cheat in trade, there will be unmistakable consequences.
o Fourth, to assure every entrepreneur and every job creator that their investments in America will not vanish as have those in Greece, we will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget.
o And fifth, Mitt Romney will champion small businesses, America's engine of job growth. That means reducing taxes on business, not raising them. It means simplifying and modernizing the regulations that hurt small business the most. And it means that we must rein in the skyrocketing cost of healthcare by repealing and replacing Obamacare.
· If we want a new direction, we need a new president.
BACKGROUND: THE OBAMA ECONOMY IN PERSPECTIVE
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Highest Unemployment Rate For A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· CARTER: President Jimmy Carter Has The Next Highest Rate; In August 1980, The Unemployment Rate Was 7.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The Current Unemployment Rate Is 8.3 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Weakest GDP Growth For A Democrat Incumbent Since Jimmy Carter In 1980:
· CARTER: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 1980 Was -7.9 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 2012 Was 1.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention As Americans Face The Most Difficult Job Hunt Under A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· JOHNSON: President Lyndon Johnson Was The Next Highest; In August 1964, It Took An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 13.0 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: In August 2012, It Takes An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 38.8 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
'A new direction vs. more of the same' says Romney.
"More of the same vs more of the same ol'.." say I.
Romney said Obama did not carry our allied along instead made more enemies, you not even President yet you already making enemies
Obama cares about"ALL" people and that really matters, not a surprise the Romey camp would have such a lightweight response.Romey as well as Ryan have proven they "CAN NOT BE TRUSTED" I must go with who I trust and beleive. OBAMA/BIDEN 2012, 4 MORE FOR 44!!!
Yes Mitt, we do not want more of the same failed Republican economic policies. Do you get it yet? Apparently not.
Oct 3rd, the debate.. This will force Romey to lay out his detail plan on how he will do what he continues say that Obama/Biden will never do......
Romney could'nt have chosen a worse choice of words.. Everybody thinks of the Reps as the more of the same and Obama as the new direction.
I am WAY better off than i was four years ago, and with another four more years it will continue.
GO OBAMA you give me hope.
Mr. Romney... U continue to tell us how we are not better off than 4 years ago. More complete and utter untruths! This seems to be your only focus while the rest of the GOP has the only goal of making Obama a one term president. America needs much better than this. Go join your money in another country!
Romney is toast and he knows it....no level headed person would vote for this empty man. Pres. Obama's speech was truthful and thoughtful. He's an honest and good man. Re-elect him for 4 more years and America will be on top again.
Clinton said it best. 8 years ago they inherited a surplus, they drove the economoy to the brink of a great depression. They now claim that he can't fix their mess fast enough. Took 8 years to get where we are, in 3 1/2, he didn't fix it, so give us the keys and let us drive again. How crazy is that. Especially when Gov. Romney's team is made up of all the same people Bush had in office that got us in the mess in the first place.
Except Romney's "new direction" is in reality "more of the same" Bush's policies that got us all into this mess in the first place.
health insurance has went up for 20 straight years. dont blame obama instead blame insurance companies and doctors. one goes to the doctor with a cough. he sees you for five minutes and charges your insurance $150. it is ridiculous.
Romney represents a return to the Bush years. NO THANKS. Obama 2012.
Why has the "new direction" not been tried yet? Obama has had 3 years to implement his "new direction." I have only seen the "old direction" enforced – spend, spend, spend.
4 Years ago we were promised a change. 4 years later we are no better off. Trillions in debt, In Nov we need a new direction not the same old that just isn't doing it.
"If you continue to do what you have always done, you'll continue to get what you always have gotten" Stop the spending, get America working, I've been out of of work since Obama took office, current administration doesn't offer hope. not now, not in the past 4 years and don't need empty promises in the next 4 years. In summary, Actions speak louder than words, if change hasn't happened in 1st term, what makes you think 2nd term will be better, sounds & looks like just more of the same. Vote for the new direction at least it offers some hope. Reagan improved Carters America, now Romney will improve Obamas.
Horrible speech. Oh sure it was delivered well. But it contained zero substance. Zero mention of the stimulus and ACA. And he has the gall to claim that he has tried to be bipartisan? Intelligent Americans who care core this country will shee through the sham.
go home. it's over for you.
MItt, do you want to concede today ?
He is absolutely correct...however HE is more of the same.
Pure negativity and lies. This guy deserves no one's vote.
Obama is too far off in the left field. The Democrat party of today does not represent my family. Romney/Ryan 2012.
Change.....it was time for a change 4 years ago......I followed that advice....gladly....now it sounds like it may be time to CHANGE again.
President Obama=Foward, and Romney=backwards to the way it was. For the posters who have seen both, and claim they voted for President Obama in 08, but will not vote for him again? Good grief, are you serious? I really have a hard time believing you would choose to go back to the brink of disaster! I also don't believe you ever voted for Obama in the first place, or you've lost your mind! It's obvious who really cares for this Nation, and it's not the Republican Tea Party bunch. Vote out anyone who signed the Norquist Pledge.
Our family is definitely better off. Four years ago my husband didn't have a job. He got one in 2009 just after our state government received money from the fed. government. The hiring freeze was lifted and he was hired by state government. My 22 yo son has been covered by our health insurance during the months he was employed by a company that doesn't offer it. He is now getting his own coverage through a different employer. My 24 yo daughter is going back to school and we will put her back on our plan. The 2% payroll tax cut has boosted our modest raises at work and helped us tremendously. YES! WE ARE BETTER OFF THAN WE WERE FOUR YEARS AGO!
He's staring down two elected presidents, where is his back up? Or is there also an invisible Bush only the GOP can see?