Romney message on Obama speech:  'A new direction vs. more of the same'
September 6th, 2012

Romney message on Obama speech: 'A new direction vs. more of the same'

(CNN) - Responding to President Barack Obama's convention speech, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said the difference in the race is the choice of "a new direction vs. more of the same."

The message was reflected in a statement issued by the Romney campaign, as well as a separate Romney campaign messaging memo to surrogates obtained by CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Tonight President Obama laid out the choice in this election, making the case for more of the same policies that haven't worked for the past four years," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement to reporters. "He offered more promises, but he hasn't kept the promises he made four years ago. Americans will hold President Obama accountable for his record – they know they're not better off and that it's time to change direction.

"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore America's promise and deliver a better future for our country," he continued.

The messaging memo, obtained by CNN from a GOP source:

Message Points: A New Direction vs. More Of The Same

Top-Line Message:

· Four years ago, Barack Obama stood in front of Greek columns and told a cheering stadium that he'd make life better for Americans.

· Now, the critical question is this: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"

· Americans know the answer is "no." They are not better off than they were four years ago.

· No president has ever asked to be re-elected with this many Americans out of work.

· Tonight, President Obama failed to make the case why the next four years will be any different than the last four.

· He offered more promises, but he's failed to keep the promises he made four years ago.

o Even President Obama himself called his own record "incomplete" when asked to grade his time in office.

· Despite President Obama's promises, things did not get better. We're in the midst of the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression.

23 million Americans are struggling for work.
Chronic unemployment is the highest in recorded history.
More than half the jobs created since the recession ended are low-wage jobs.
Household income has fallen by more than $4,000.
More than 10 million homeowners are underwater on their mortgages.
Gas prices have more than doubled.
Family healthcare premiums have increased by more than $2,300.
Poverty rates are headed toward a 50-year high.
Nearly 47 million Americans are on food stamps.

· The last four years may be the best President Obama can do – but it's not the best America can do.

· The American people will hold this president accountable for his record of unmet goals and unfulfilled promises.

· Mitt Romney is the man for this moment. He will help us deliver a better future for all Americans.

Mitt Romney vs. President Obama: New Direction vs. More Of The Same

· President Obama's policies have crushed the middle class. He owns the worst economic record of any president in modern history.

· What we can expect from President Obama's second term is more of the same:

o President Obama's plan to raise taxes on small business won't add jobs, it will eliminate them

o His assault on coal and gas and oil will send energy and manufacturing jobs to China

o His trillion-dollar cuts to our military will eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs, and also put our security at greater risk

o His $716 billion cut to Medicare to finance Obamacare will both hurt today's seniors, and depress innovation – and jobs – in medicine

o And his trillion-dollar deficits will slow our economy, restrain employment, and cause wages to stall

· Mitt Romney is running for president to help create a better future. Mitt Romney's plan for a Stronger Middle Class will create 12 million new jobs. It has five steps:

o First, by 2020, North America will be energy independent by taking full advantage of our oil and coal and gas and nuclear and renewables.

o Second, we will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of today and the careers of tomorrow. When it comes to the school your child will attend, every parent should have a choice, and every child should have a chance.

o Third, we will make trade work for America by forging new trade agreements. And when nations cheat in trade, there will be unmistakable consequences.

o Fourth, to assure every entrepreneur and every job creator that their investments in America will not vanish as have those in Greece, we will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget.

o And fifth, Mitt Romney will champion small businesses, America's engine of job growth. That means reducing taxes on business, not raising them. It means simplifying and modernizing the regulations that hurt small business the most. And it means that we must rein in the skyrocketing cost of healthcare by repealing and replacing Obamacare.

· If we want a new direction, we need a new president.

BACKGROUND: THE OBAMA ECONOMY IN PERSPECTIVE

Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Highest Unemployment Rate For A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:

· CARTER: President Jimmy Carter Has The Next Highest Rate; In August 1980, The Unemployment Rate Was 7.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)

· OBAMA: The Current Unemployment Rate Is 8.3 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)

Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Weakest GDP Growth For A Democrat Incumbent Since Jimmy Carter In 1980:

· CARTER: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 1980 Was -7.9 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)

· OBAMA: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 2012 Was 1.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)

Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention As Americans Face The Most Difficult Job Hunt Under A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:

· JOHNSON: President Lyndon Johnson Was The Next Highest; In August 1964, It Took An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 13.0 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)

· OBAMA: In August 2012, It Takes An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 38.8 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)

1. riabm60

Romney did not even qualify to represent the USA as a tourist.
    The Bush era will be repeated if he becomes POTUS.

Obama/Biden 2012 will be my vote.

September 7, 2012 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  2. Patricia Murray-Zarzour

My vote is on someone's record. Obama gets an F on improving the economy and an A+ on being a great speaker. Romney has been successful in the private sector, as Governor of Mass and managing the Olympics. The facts exist period. I don't vote on how polished or smooth someone can speak...I vote on their record.

September 7, 2012 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  3. Bill

This year is the first year I ever got a refund from my Health Insurance Company and that is after 40 years of charging me more every year.My guess is ObamaCare is starting to work. Making the Insurance companies return money for over charging for their services.

September 7, 2012 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  4. JT

If anyone thinks we are better off than we were four years ago. I've got some real estate I would like to sell them. The fact is President Obama had a Democratically controlled House and Senate for two years, and chose to push universal health care, instead of the economy period.

September 7, 2012 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  5. Steve J

"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore America's promise and deliver a better future for our country"

Really Romney? So far you have not told us anything. Romney and the GOP keep repeating the same Nothing over and over. The American people aren't as stupid as the GOP thinks they are. I'm an independent and there is no way I'm checking anything on the Republican ticket this time around. I'm sick of their lies, scare tactics and half truths. Hey Mitt, No Tax Returns = No Vote! Come on, show America your true colors. Every time I hear him or Ryan speak all I hear is that old line "Vote for me, George Tire biter because I never lie and I'm always right. He's right all right. So far right he's totally out of touch with America.

September 7, 2012 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  6. huh?

I voted for hope and change... I won't again. I want one thing.... and one thing only.... a balanced budget. I have to live on one.... I'd expect the government I pay a whopping 35% to (prior to my taxing on my 401k investments) should do the same. If you don't balance a budget, I don't want to give you my money. It's not like I'm asking for much... just tell me you won't spend more then we bring in. plain and simple.

September 7, 2012 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  7. Bob from NH

This is all I hear from the GOP - They never mention a plan, they just "have a plan" - I am not impressed.

I am open to new ideas, I'm an independent, but I want to hear from both sides on what they're policies ARE, just saying you're better is not enough.

and a note to the GOP: smarten up and drop the social issues, I have trouble getting past the GOP social issues.... Huntsman, Ron Paul are candidates I can vote for (I voted for Huntsman in the primary!) - but these social issue candidates that think they need to tell me how to live my life (Santorum, Paul Ryan, Romney)... I cannot accept their social platforms... social issues are not government concerns

September 7, 2012 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  8. lobo joe

Mr. Romney has yet to tell us about the big tax loophole he plans to close, eliminating mortgage interest on homes. This is the germane element of his plan. Willard, where are the tax returns?

September 7, 2012 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  9. JustMe

Yes, Mittens because going back to the same Bush policies that got us into this mess in the first place is not more of the same. *Roll Eyes* Puhleeze!

September 7, 2012 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  10. Axxe

Romney + Ryan = ZERO

September 7, 2012 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  11. romney blows

go ahead and vote for the gop and see where that gets u

September 7, 2012 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  12. Kay

We should let President Obama finish what he started. It's the partisan Republicans in Congress who blocked many of Obama's promises of 2008, and they really love to blame him for THEIR failure to put the American people first. It was their mission, after all, to see to it that our president failed, not that Americans' needs were met. We simply can't let that happen again. So let's be sure the Democrats have the majority in both the House and Senate this go-round as well - after all, President Obama can't succeed alone.

September 7, 2012 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  13. Peter Clarke

I for one will vote for Obama / Biden. There are many reasons but the biggest is that I will not vote for an elitist or his ultra rich backers who's wealth will continue to rise while they use the rest of us for lacky's.

September 7, 2012 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  14. Randle01

zwert23.....really?!?!? Do you forget the GOP's favorite line 'he's a community organizer'. What do you think community organizers do?!?!? Ridiculous!

September 7, 2012 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  15. Gaines

We are fortunate we didn't go into a deep depression when Obama took over. Thank God he had the brains and courage to take the steps to avoid it. Think I'll keep him. Hope others see it the way I do.

September 7, 2012 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  16. Peter Clarke

My family will all vote for the Obama/Biden ticket. I like being all in this together

September 7, 2012 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  17. justme

obama2012

September 7, 2012 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  18. just for rand

two words for Mitt – re-election landslide.

September 7, 2012 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  19. Larry

Obama/Biden 2012 – and Democrats for the rest of my life. No republican has the best interests of America at heart. The GOP just made my life easier in one way – only have to check one box on the ballot. STRAIGHT DEMOCRAT TICKET.

September 7, 2012 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  20. Sean

How is an empty suit controlled by GWB's handlers "a new direction?"

September 7, 2012 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  21. EdR

Romney is asking if we want a new direction or more of the same, when what he is offering is more of the same that we got for George Bush. No thank you. I will take more of the same of this country making steady progress rather than what brought this country to the brink of financial collapse any day. He really just doesn't get it.

September 7, 2012 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  22. Krobar

I can not believe anybody would believe a word Obama says after the last three and a half years of lies.

September 7, 2012 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  23. Dave

Vote Mitt or be prepared for what's to come.

September 7, 2012 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  24. JMysterio

I still don't understand the point of asking "Are you better off now than four years ago". It's a totally subjective question.

The real question is "Are you better off with Romney or Obama over the next four years"

Romney has yet to present any plans or policies that tell me we're better off with him. I guess he figures by not sticking his neck out he won't be judged on things he can claim he never promised. He's not progressive at all and in my opinion, rather spineless.

September 7, 2012 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  25. rev dan hartley

mr.president romney-sounds real good-thats enough said.

September 7, 2012 08:07 am at 8:07 am |