(CNN) - Responding to President Barack Obama's convention speech, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said the difference in the race is the choice of "a new direction vs. more of the same."
The message was reflected in a statement issued by the Romney campaign, as well as a separate Romney campaign messaging memo to surrogates obtained by CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.
"Tonight President Obama laid out the choice in this election, making the case for more of the same policies that haven't worked for the past four years," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement to reporters. "He offered more promises, but he hasn't kept the promises he made four years ago. Americans will hold President Obama accountable for his record – they know they're not better off and that it's time to change direction.
"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore America's promise and deliver a better future for our country," he continued.
The messaging memo, obtained by CNN from a GOP source:
Message Points: A New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· Four years ago, Barack Obama stood in front of Greek columns and told a cheering stadium that he'd make life better for Americans.
· Now, the critical question is this: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"
· Americans know the answer is "no." They are not better off than they were four years ago.
· No president has ever asked to be re-elected with this many Americans out of work.
· Tonight, President Obama failed to make the case why the next four years will be any different than the last four.
· He offered more promises, but he's failed to keep the promises he made four years ago.
o Even President Obama himself called his own record "incomplete" when asked to grade his time in office.
· Despite President Obama's promises, things did not get better. We're in the midst of the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression.
23 million Americans are struggling for work.
Chronic unemployment is the highest in recorded history.
More than half the jobs created since the recession ended are low-wage jobs.
Household income has fallen by more than $4,000.
More than 10 million homeowners are underwater on their mortgages.
Gas prices have more than doubled.
Family healthcare premiums have increased by more than $2,300.
Poverty rates are headed toward a 50-year high.
Nearly 47 million Americans are on food stamps.
· The last four years may be the best President Obama can do – but it's not the best America can do.
· The American people will hold this president accountable for his record of unmet goals and unfulfilled promises.
· Mitt Romney is the man for this moment. He will help us deliver a better future for all Americans.
Mitt Romney vs. President Obama: New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· President Obama's policies have crushed the middle class. He owns the worst economic record of any president in modern history.
· What we can expect from President Obama's second term is more of the same:
o President Obama's plan to raise taxes on small business won't add jobs, it will eliminate them
o His assault on coal and gas and oil will send energy and manufacturing jobs to China
o His trillion-dollar cuts to our military will eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs, and also put our security at greater risk
o His $716 billion cut to Medicare to finance Obamacare will both hurt today's seniors, and depress innovation – and jobs – in medicine
o And his trillion-dollar deficits will slow our economy, restrain employment, and cause wages to stall
· Mitt Romney is running for president to help create a better future. Mitt Romney's plan for a Stronger Middle Class will create 12 million new jobs. It has five steps:
o First, by 2020, North America will be energy independent by taking full advantage of our oil and coal and gas and nuclear and renewables.
o Second, we will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of today and the careers of tomorrow. When it comes to the school your child will attend, every parent should have a choice, and every child should have a chance.
o Third, we will make trade work for America by forging new trade agreements. And when nations cheat in trade, there will be unmistakable consequences.
o Fourth, to assure every entrepreneur and every job creator that their investments in America will not vanish as have those in Greece, we will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget.
o And fifth, Mitt Romney will champion small businesses, America's engine of job growth. That means reducing taxes on business, not raising them. It means simplifying and modernizing the regulations that hurt small business the most. And it means that we must rein in the skyrocketing cost of healthcare by repealing and replacing Obamacare.
· If we want a new direction, we need a new president.
BACKGROUND: THE OBAMA ECONOMY IN PERSPECTIVE
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Highest Unemployment Rate For A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· CARTER: President Jimmy Carter Has The Next Highest Rate; In August 1980, The Unemployment Rate Was 7.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The Current Unemployment Rate Is 8.3 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Weakest GDP Growth For A Democrat Incumbent Since Jimmy Carter In 1980:
· CARTER: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 1980 Was -7.9 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 2012 Was 1.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention As Americans Face The Most Difficult Job Hunt Under A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· JOHNSON: President Lyndon Johnson Was The Next Highest; In August 1964, It Took An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 13.0 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: In August 2012, It Takes An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 38.8 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
I just cant see a person who made a fortune destroying the lives of American workers by eliminating their jobs being good for America. Obama/Bidden 2012.
I am amazed how many people want Obama because his speech sounded nice. It doesn't change the fact his policies have failed. In your own job, would you be able to perform poorly for 4 years, ask to keep your job, and blame your failures on the person who had your job 4 years ago? Of course not. Leadership isn't coming up with the best excuses, it is about achieving results and overcoming challenges. If you vote for Obama, at least do it because you understand a real issue and not because of rhetoric. Voting because of rhetoric makes you sheep and sheep get slaughtered.
When you see that something isn't working, you can make a turnaround or just double down. What do you think the President will do?
"Corporations are People"! And Romney will prove it at our expense.
Romney is as flat as his convention was. He doens't care about the middle class and he makes that apparent. More appauling was his no mention of the soldiers fighting in Afganistan. What kind of a man who is running for President makes no mention of it. Disgraceful!!