Romney message on Obama speech:  'A new direction vs. more of the same'
September 6th, 2012

Romney message on Obama speech: 'A new direction vs. more of the same'

(CNN) - Responding to President Barack Obama's convention speech, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said the difference in the race is the choice of "a new direction vs. more of the same."

The message was reflected in a statement issued by the Romney campaign, as well as a separate Romney campaign messaging memo to surrogates obtained by CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Tonight President Obama laid out the choice in this election, making the case for more of the same policies that haven't worked for the past four years," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement to reporters. "He offered more promises, but he hasn't kept the promises he made four years ago. Americans will hold President Obama accountable for his record – they know they're not better off and that it's time to change direction.

"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore America's promise and deliver a better future for our country," he continued.

The messaging memo, obtained by CNN from a GOP source:

Message Points: A New Direction vs. More Of The Same

Top-Line Message:

· Four years ago, Barack Obama stood in front of Greek columns and told a cheering stadium that he'd make life better for Americans.

· Now, the critical question is this: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"

· Americans know the answer is "no." They are not better off than they were four years ago.

· No president has ever asked to be re-elected with this many Americans out of work.

· Tonight, President Obama failed to make the case why the next four years will be any different than the last four.

· He offered more promises, but he's failed to keep the promises he made four years ago.

o Even President Obama himself called his own record "incomplete" when asked to grade his time in office.

· Despite President Obama's promises, things did not get better. We're in the midst of the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression.

23 million Americans are struggling for work.
Chronic unemployment is the highest in recorded history.
More than half the jobs created since the recession ended are low-wage jobs.
Household income has fallen by more than $4,000.
More than 10 million homeowners are underwater on their mortgages.
Gas prices have more than doubled.
Family healthcare premiums have increased by more than $2,300.
Poverty rates are headed toward a 50-year high.
Nearly 47 million Americans are on food stamps.

· The last four years may be the best President Obama can do – but it's not the best America can do.

· The American people will hold this president accountable for his record of unmet goals and unfulfilled promises.

· Mitt Romney is the man for this moment. He will help us deliver a better future for all Americans.

Mitt Romney vs. President Obama: New Direction vs. More Of The Same

· President Obama's policies have crushed the middle class. He owns the worst economic record of any president in modern history.

· What we can expect from President Obama's second term is more of the same:

o President Obama's plan to raise taxes on small business won't add jobs, it will eliminate them

o His assault on coal and gas and oil will send energy and manufacturing jobs to China

o His trillion-dollar cuts to our military will eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs, and also put our security at greater risk

o His $716 billion cut to Medicare to finance Obamacare will both hurt today's seniors, and depress innovation – and jobs – in medicine

o And his trillion-dollar deficits will slow our economy, restrain employment, and cause wages to stall

· Mitt Romney is running for president to help create a better future. Mitt Romney's plan for a Stronger Middle Class will create 12 million new jobs. It has five steps:

o First, by 2020, North America will be energy independent by taking full advantage of our oil and coal and gas and nuclear and renewables.

o Second, we will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of today and the careers of tomorrow. When it comes to the school your child will attend, every parent should have a choice, and every child should have a chance.

o Third, we will make trade work for America by forging new trade agreements. And when nations cheat in trade, there will be unmistakable consequences.

o Fourth, to assure every entrepreneur and every job creator that their investments in America will not vanish as have those in Greece, we will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget.

o And fifth, Mitt Romney will champion small businesses, America's engine of job growth. That means reducing taxes on business, not raising them. It means simplifying and modernizing the regulations that hurt small business the most. And it means that we must rein in the skyrocketing cost of healthcare by repealing and replacing Obamacare.

· If we want a new direction, we need a new president.

BACKGROUND: THE OBAMA ECONOMY IN PERSPECTIVE

Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Highest Unemployment Rate For A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:

· CARTER: President Jimmy Carter Has The Next Highest Rate; In August 1980, The Unemployment Rate Was 7.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)

· OBAMA: The Current Unemployment Rate Is 8.3 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)

Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Weakest GDP Growth For A Democrat Incumbent Since Jimmy Carter In 1980:

· CARTER: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 1980 Was -7.9 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)

· OBAMA: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 2012 Was 1.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)

Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention As Americans Face The Most Difficult Job Hunt Under A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:

· JOHNSON: President Lyndon Johnson Was The Next Highest; In August 1964, It Took An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 13.0 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)

· OBAMA: In August 2012, It Takes An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 38.8 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)

1. Sirned

Yeah I stepped on your kid. He was in the way of me chasing a buck... Romneys America
    Loved Obama saying Romneys cure for everything is take two tax cuts, cut a few regulations and you will feel better in the morning..lol

September 6, 2012 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  2. Rob Rubin

Hahahaha. The rebuttal STILL contains the now totally proven lie that Obama stole $716 billion from Medicare. I mean, seriously. I don't see how anyone, especially anyone who watched Clinton and Obama tonight can look at anything Romney says and not bust out laughing.

September 6, 2012 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  3. matt houston

Good Lord, I can't even believe there are people who even entertain the notion of re-hiring the Republicans who got us into this quagmire. It's unbelievable that they have such short term memories or that they hate a man so much that they would rather hire hyper-rich guys who are out of touch with the middle class and women's interests. How fair is it to expect anyone black or white to fix a mess that took 8 yrs to make? Ridiculous...totally ridiculous.

September 6, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  4. winstonsmith

"a new direction vs. more of the same."

I agree. Mitt is more of the same, more Bush era policies, more failed trickle down economic excuses to lower taxes on the top brackets and then not do anything else.

September 6, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  5. grannysfarm

It's back with R&R for too many things to list...forward with Obama/Biden...there's no other choice but to keep on the road to recovery, trickle down doesn't work...the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...it is building the middle class that is the answer R&R need to take their marbles and go elsewhere...oh, yeah they have a place in the Cayman Islands with Mittens money!

September 6, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  6. Andrea

Things are better! Sure, most of us would like more money in our pockets. but seriously, after everything that happened, the banks going bankrupt, the auto industry almost failing, the severe downsizing ... I mean, did they really think that in just 3 1/2 years EVERYTHING would be back to normal???!!! How naive are these people?

What the president said tonight was right on. We are on the right path. It's been hard to crawl out of this mess, but we can't turn back now ... we'll have lost everything we've worked for. Besides, we're Americans. We're used to hard work. We don't expect things to come easy while other people do all the work for us.

September 6, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  7. MissyW

As Bill Clinton said "Nobody's right all the time, even a broken clock is right twice a day". And, "What works in the REAL world is cooperation". I'll give Obama my vote provided he allows Bill Clinton to advise him.

September 6, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  8. nmmell08

Romney...I have a message for you. I can't vote for you, not if your budget does what is says it does and cuts funding for medical research. I'll have to leave this country becasue you thought tax cuts for the 1% were more important than a medical researcher looking at anxiety and allergies connection

September 6, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  9. Larry

‎"Have a surplus? Try a tax cut."
    "Deficit too high? Try another."
    "Feel a cold coming on? Take two tax cuts, roll back some regulations, and call us in the morning!" that was my favorite line.

September 6, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  10. Florence

I'm so proud of our president for keeping the focus on hope, the most fundamental of Christian beliefs. Shame on you in the bible belt who support those who have nothing but slander and deceit. I know what taxes President Obama paid. Can you say the same for the other guy. "The guilty flee tho no one pursues" – proverbs. I guess I have it on my mind today, because I paid mine today. ALL 28% of it. Who of you can say you only it's fair for the rich to pay so little. Do you honestly think they we will give you the same tax breaks afforded them. What cool -aid are you drinking

September 6, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  11. Repandum

I spent the past two weeks with an open mind.
    Obama – four more years.
    There has to be some consideration given for his genuine caring for all people.
    The Romney clan clearly does not represent all of the people.

September 6, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  12. Doug

the only thing that Romney wants is less taxes for the rich and to put the poor and middle class in their place....as the servant

September 6, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  13. John

Nothing new in Obama's speech except he is promising less then he did in 2008. I voted for him in 2008 and bought into the hope and change, but will not make that mistake again.

September 6, 2012 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  14. Sandy

Dear Romney,

I Am The President!

Barack Obama

September 6, 2012 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  15. shirley

at least Obama gave specific tell me what mitt Romney say in his convention about building the economic all your fake conservative.mitt he didn't even talk about the troop.

September 6, 2012 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  16. bidin

Start a new direction by releasing your tax returns Mitt. How much taxes did you pay?Any at all? Why didn't you invest your millions in the U.S. instead of keeping them in Switzerland, the Bahamas or the Caymans?

September 6, 2012 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  17. Really?

Am I better off than I was before/ Yes, but only because two of my bosses got laid off while the company downsized and I got their workload load and a $3/hour raise. That's better off I guess because I'm still employed. My family health insurance costs increased $400 this year but the $3 raise helped cover some of that so I guess I'm better off. I'm told by my company that health insurance costs will increase again in 2013 and again in 2014 when The Affordable Care Act kicks in. The company may end employer provided health care in 2014 and send us all to the open market...but I'm better off because everybody keeps telling me I am. Am I? Really?!

September 6, 2012 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  18. dave

Definitely hasn't done in enough...time for a change...Romney it is.

September 6, 2012 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  19. Patty Curran

I am better off than 4 years ago. I'll be better off if Romney is defeated

September 6, 2012 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  20. zwert23

Obama does not care about everyone. He is just saying that. Romney have given more in charity than Obama and has long history of helping people in person. Who did Obama ever help out with his own personal time or money? No one.

September 6, 2012 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  21. M. Simons

Romney does not speak for me or my family. Obama/Biden for 4 more years!!!

September 6, 2012 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  22. Mamasan

The Democrats offer a better vision and solutions for our country. The Republicans just want a privileged few to enjoy a comfortable life.

Pres. Clinton said it best when he said, "We think "we're all in this together" is a better philosophy than "you're on your own."

Therefore, I will cast my vote to the Obama/Biden team.

September 6, 2012 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  23. tcaros

Can you say Mitt got his butt whooped good?

September 6, 2012 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |