(CNN) - Responding to President Barack Obama's convention speech, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said the difference in the race is the choice of "a new direction vs. more of the same."
The message was reflected in a statement issued by the Romney campaign, as well as a separate Romney campaign messaging memo to surrogates obtained by CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.
"Tonight President Obama laid out the choice in this election, making the case for more of the same policies that haven't worked for the past four years," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement to reporters. "He offered more promises, but he hasn't kept the promises he made four years ago. Americans will hold President Obama accountable for his record – they know they're not better off and that it's time to change direction.
"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore America's promise and deliver a better future for our country," he continued.
The messaging memo, obtained by CNN from a GOP source:
Message Points: A New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· Four years ago, Barack Obama stood in front of Greek columns and told a cheering stadium that he'd make life better for Americans.
· Now, the critical question is this: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"
· Americans know the answer is "no." They are not better off than they were four years ago.
· No president has ever asked to be re-elected with this many Americans out of work.
· Tonight, President Obama failed to make the case why the next four years will be any different than the last four.
· He offered more promises, but he's failed to keep the promises he made four years ago.
o Even President Obama himself called his own record "incomplete" when asked to grade his time in office.
· Despite President Obama's promises, things did not get better. We're in the midst of the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression.
23 million Americans are struggling for work.
Chronic unemployment is the highest in recorded history.
More than half the jobs created since the recession ended are low-wage jobs.
Household income has fallen by more than $4,000.
More than 10 million homeowners are underwater on their mortgages.
Gas prices have more than doubled.
Family healthcare premiums have increased by more than $2,300.
Poverty rates are headed toward a 50-year high.
Nearly 47 million Americans are on food stamps.
· The last four years may be the best President Obama can do – but it's not the best America can do.
· The American people will hold this president accountable for his record of unmet goals and unfulfilled promises.
· Mitt Romney is the man for this moment. He will help us deliver a better future for all Americans.
Mitt Romney vs. President Obama: New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· President Obama's policies have crushed the middle class. He owns the worst economic record of any president in modern history.
· What we can expect from President Obama's second term is more of the same:
o President Obama's plan to raise taxes on small business won't add jobs, it will eliminate them
o His assault on coal and gas and oil will send energy and manufacturing jobs to China
o His trillion-dollar cuts to our military will eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs, and also put our security at greater risk
o His $716 billion cut to Medicare to finance Obamacare will both hurt today's seniors, and depress innovation – and jobs – in medicine
o And his trillion-dollar deficits will slow our economy, restrain employment, and cause wages to stall
· Mitt Romney is running for president to help create a better future. Mitt Romney's plan for a Stronger Middle Class will create 12 million new jobs. It has five steps:
o First, by 2020, North America will be energy independent by taking full advantage of our oil and coal and gas and nuclear and renewables.
o Second, we will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of today and the careers of tomorrow. When it comes to the school your child will attend, every parent should have a choice, and every child should have a chance.
o Third, we will make trade work for America by forging new trade agreements. And when nations cheat in trade, there will be unmistakable consequences.
o Fourth, to assure every entrepreneur and every job creator that their investments in America will not vanish as have those in Greece, we will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget.
o And fifth, Mitt Romney will champion small businesses, America's engine of job growth. That means reducing taxes on business, not raising them. It means simplifying and modernizing the regulations that hurt small business the most. And it means that we must rein in the skyrocketing cost of healthcare by repealing and replacing Obamacare.
· If we want a new direction, we need a new president.
BACKGROUND: THE OBAMA ECONOMY IN PERSPECTIVE
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Highest Unemployment Rate For A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· CARTER: President Jimmy Carter Has The Next Highest Rate; In August 1980, The Unemployment Rate Was 7.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The Current Unemployment Rate Is 8.3 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Weakest GDP Growth For A Democrat Incumbent Since Jimmy Carter In 1980:
· CARTER: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 1980 Was -7.9 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 2012 Was 1.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention As Americans Face The Most Difficult Job Hunt Under A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· JOHNSON: President Lyndon Johnson Was The Next Highest; In August 1964, It Took An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 13.0 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: In August 2012, It Takes An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 38.8 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
I'll agree with ONE of Romney's statements. Yes, it's 4 more years of the same.... The same obstruction, the same "my way or the highway," the same inability to get any jobs bills passed... UNLESS we elect a Democratic congress. The Tea Party and those who vote against any possible compromise that President Obama offers are the reason he hasn't been able to keep his promises! I am sick and tired of this "whatever it is, I'm against it" mentality I see on the right.
Dear Failed Governor of Mass,
TAX RETURNS please....
As an independent, I am not satisfied with Obama, but I know the road ahead was a great challenge. his heart is for the small man who needs an opportunity and time heals most wounds.......I will give him more time.....he is a better President today than 4 years ago
Mitt got off his boat to offer his thoughts. Odd, since he said he wasn't going to watch The Speech.
Romney's money is in foreign countries & he doesn't talk about the troops. Poor people can take care of themselves & he loves to fire people. What a patriot.
The President drew a clear line and he was right!
Wait, didnt Mitt say he had no interest in seeing the speech already? If so how can he comment on it if he didnt see it or did he change his mind...............again?
Obama > Bush = Romney
The biggest takeaway is the reminder that this is about shared responsibility. You may not own a giant corporation but you are alive and breathing. Somewhere around you there are people less fortunate. Get off your a... and do something, anything to help out your community.
hopefully, the GOP will stop holding college students, union workers and the environment hostage, this time around, and let obama get some things done. the GOP agenda has been to interfere with everything that the president attempts to accomplish. there effort is to prevent a second obama term at whatever the cost to the hard working american patriots. we are not as stupid at the tea partiers think. obama has pulled the average american out of a near catastrophic recession, in spite of the republican obstacles. does any one remember bush and cheney? what a mess they left. it takes more than 4 short years to clean up the disasterous mess left by the worst administration in history, the bush-cheney debocle.
He's right, it's a choice between a new direction and more of the same. He's just wrong on which side is promising which.
Obama obama obama obama
There they go again...
Where's the 9-9-9 guy? Can I still vote for him? -NT
I have always held the view that Romney is just not up to snuff. These past three days have clarified my position. Everything said of the Republican ticket during the DNC convention was already in my thoughts. The clip of Romney debating
Ted Kennedy is priceless. I do not see how anyone could seriously vote Romney for president.
Mitt Really..Do you think you will get any minority votes......Never
Is Romney actually sane?
I have to assume that Mitt, surrounded by all his Bush-era advisors, are the ones they refer to as "more of the same".
The Romney campaign must be packing up; they have not bothered to update their talking points from a week ago!! The 716B medicare story is still there, please!!
i thought Romney wasn't going to watch, guess he changed his mind
I recommend that we pretend like the GOPs deceptive message is really working.
Mitt better hope the Affordable Care Act has a provision for taking care of political campaigns in their death throes, because after the speeches of Michelle Obama, Bill Clinton and President Obama, and the sight of the inclusionary Democratic National Convention, it's all over but the slow walking and sad talking for the Romney candidacy.
Mitt Romney is a good business man. However, he wants to buy history for his name. He wants his name to be in history and he thinks he can buy that. No. Can't happen. Why should I make the rich richer?
The choice between these two approaches to the world could not be clearer. How anyone can say they care about this country and ANYONE else but the 1% and still vote for Romney is shocking.
Can't wait to watch the landslide for Obama and listen to the conservative's whine about another lost election.
The worst candidate in the history of politics!!!!!!!!!!