(CNN) - Responding to President Barack Obama's convention speech, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said the difference in the race is the choice of "a new direction vs. more of the same."
The message was reflected in a statement issued by the Romney campaign, as well as a separate Romney campaign messaging memo to surrogates obtained by CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.
"Tonight President Obama laid out the choice in this election, making the case for more of the same policies that haven't worked for the past four years," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement to reporters. "He offered more promises, but he hasn't kept the promises he made four years ago. Americans will hold President Obama accountable for his record – they know they're not better off and that it's time to change direction.
"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore America's promise and deliver a better future for our country," he continued.
The messaging memo, obtained by CNN from a GOP source:
Message Points: A New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· Four years ago, Barack Obama stood in front of Greek columns and told a cheering stadium that he'd make life better for Americans.
· Now, the critical question is this: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"
· Americans know the answer is "no." They are not better off than they were four years ago.
· No president has ever asked to be re-elected with this many Americans out of work.
· Tonight, President Obama failed to make the case why the next four years will be any different than the last four.
· He offered more promises, but he's failed to keep the promises he made four years ago.
o Even President Obama himself called his own record "incomplete" when asked to grade his time in office.
· Despite President Obama's promises, things did not get better. We're in the midst of the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression.
23 million Americans are struggling for work.
Chronic unemployment is the highest in recorded history.
More than half the jobs created since the recession ended are low-wage jobs.
Household income has fallen by more than $4,000.
More than 10 million homeowners are underwater on their mortgages.
Gas prices have more than doubled.
Family healthcare premiums have increased by more than $2,300.
Poverty rates are headed toward a 50-year high.
Nearly 47 million Americans are on food stamps.
· The last four years may be the best President Obama can do – but it's not the best America can do.
· The American people will hold this president accountable for his record of unmet goals and unfulfilled promises.
· Mitt Romney is the man for this moment. He will help us deliver a better future for all Americans.
Mitt Romney vs. President Obama: New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· President Obama's policies have crushed the middle class. He owns the worst economic record of any president in modern history.
· What we can expect from President Obama's second term is more of the same:
o President Obama's plan to raise taxes on small business won't add jobs, it will eliminate them
o His assault on coal and gas and oil will send energy and manufacturing jobs to China
o His trillion-dollar cuts to our military will eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs, and also put our security at greater risk
o His $716 billion cut to Medicare to finance Obamacare will both hurt today's seniors, and depress innovation – and jobs – in medicine
o And his trillion-dollar deficits will slow our economy, restrain employment, and cause wages to stall
· Mitt Romney is running for president to help create a better future. Mitt Romney's plan for a Stronger Middle Class will create 12 million new jobs. It has five steps:
o First, by 2020, North America will be energy independent by taking full advantage of our oil and coal and gas and nuclear and renewables.
o Second, we will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of today and the careers of tomorrow. When it comes to the school your child will attend, every parent should have a choice, and every child should have a chance.
o Third, we will make trade work for America by forging new trade agreements. And when nations cheat in trade, there will be unmistakable consequences.
o Fourth, to assure every entrepreneur and every job creator that their investments in America will not vanish as have those in Greece, we will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget.
o And fifth, Mitt Romney will champion small businesses, America's engine of job growth. That means reducing taxes on business, not raising them. It means simplifying and modernizing the regulations that hurt small business the most. And it means that we must rein in the skyrocketing cost of healthcare by repealing and replacing Obamacare.
· If we want a new direction, we need a new president.
BACKGROUND: THE OBAMA ECONOMY IN PERSPECTIVE
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Highest Unemployment Rate For A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· CARTER: President Jimmy Carter Has The Next Highest Rate; In August 1980, The Unemployment Rate Was 7.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The Current Unemployment Rate Is 8.3 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Weakest GDP Growth For A Democrat Incumbent Since Jimmy Carter In 1980:
· CARTER: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 1980 Was -7.9 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 2012 Was 1.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention As Americans Face The Most Difficult Job Hunt Under A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· JOHNSON: President Lyndon Johnson Was The Next Highest; In August 1964, It Took An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 13.0 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: In August 2012, It Takes An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 38.8 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
The reason Mitt is not releasing his taxes is because it will show that all that money he supposedly out of generosity gave to charity was just enough to lower his tax rates to as little as possible. I'm willing to bet it was not even $1 more than he had to. So the question is if you give 100 dollars to save you 1000 in taxes is that really charity or is that calculated manipulation to cheat your government our of revenue they could have had. I am proud to pay my taxes as that to me is what patriotism is. Another thing that would be interesting that would be part of his tax return is who or what high price low firm or accounting firm advises him on how he can lower his taxes as much as he can???
GOD BLESS OUR PRESIDENT! OBAMA 2012 and maybe we can change the rules and have OBAMA 2016
Mr. Romney: I haven't had enough of the new direction yet. When I want more of the same, I'll give you a call.
Wow. I am feeling uplifted right now! Tonight was so utterly refreshing...no doom and gloom and blame; just moving forward as a country. I'm so Obama/Biden. And, what else could the response from the R's be? Just the same old blame crap. No solutions.
Obama has got my vote.. he truly is a man FOR the people.... ALL the people.
It took 8 years to destroy America. The rich got their tax cut and did not create any job and the reps think that everything should have been fixed in less than 4 years. Not only they don't know how to count, they don't even know how to think.. Yes.. Let's talk to China whil insulting the UK...Another tax cut should also fix all issues with Russia.
why would you want to rehirer the same party that got us in this mess? get real. obama 2012
We don't want to hear what Romney have to say. We know its nothing positive. Obama will be a second term President.
Obama /Biden 2012................ Romney you have no vision....
How about smash your phone and try to fix it? Mr. Bush made the mess in 8 years, it will surely take at least 2 2 term democrats to fix it halfway. Science and fact.
Romney is not for America!
"Do you want four more years of the same?" said Obama four years ago. He's not asking that now, because he knows Romney is the new hope for a positive change. Having experience at economic success makes him the better choice. What a novel concept.
They will definitely get my vote.
Could anyone please help me with the answers to these questions?
What is the correct definition of "Middle Class" ?
Neither rich nor poor, right?
Will President Obama have what it takes to create jobs by petting the middle class?
What will he deal with the " 1% " circle that has 40% of the national wealth in hand?
Do you think 4 – year period of time is enough for voters to reason inductively for a higher degree of probability to recognize the truth?
Thank you in advance!
I love President Obama. Thank you, Mr. President
In 2010 Bain Capitol bought the company I had worked for for almost 20 years. Granted Romney was no longer CEO but what haunts me till this day was our new CEO(from Bain) looking into my eyes and telling us all your jobs are secure and we love your ideas.
Within less than 5 months 30% of our 250 employees many who had been there as long as I were laid off.
I know in my heart of hearts if Romney wins this scenario will play itself out more than you can even imagine! After all, he already has plenty of experience at this!
PS I was laid off as well!
Obama is a liar. All he can do is make promises and fail to live up to them. This country was foolish enough to vote for him four years ago. Why re-elect a liar who deceives the nation he professes to serve? He's in it for himself and anyone who doesn't see that is blind. If America re-elects him, our country deserves the further failure he'll bring.
Obama/Biden – After seeing both conventions; I still don't know what Romney is about and what he will offer us as leader of this country, and to top it off – he chose a pathological liar as his running mate.
Barack Obama/Joe Biden 2012.
Anything else is unacceptable, absurd and, frankly, stupid.
Seeing as Romney never even said what his plans are, he has no room to criticize anyone.
Obama/Biden for me – After seeing both conventions; I still don't know what Romney is about and what he has to offer as leader of this country.
Obama/Biden for me. After seeing both conventions; I still don't know what Romney is about and what he has to offer as leader of this country. Also, why did he have to chose a pathological liar as a running mate.
Team Obama/Biden, you have my vote.