(CNN) - Responding to President Barack Obama's convention speech, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said the difference in the race is the choice of "a new direction vs. more of the same."
The message was reflected in a statement issued by the Romney campaign, as well as a separate Romney campaign messaging memo to surrogates obtained by CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby.
– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker
– Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.
"Tonight President Obama laid out the choice in this election, making the case for more of the same policies that haven't worked for the past four years," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement to reporters. "He offered more promises, but he hasn't kept the promises he made four years ago. Americans will hold President Obama accountable for his record – they know they're not better off and that it's time to change direction.
"Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore America's promise and deliver a better future for our country," he continued.
The messaging memo, obtained by CNN from a GOP source:
Message Points: A New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· Four years ago, Barack Obama stood in front of Greek columns and told a cheering stadium that he'd make life better for Americans.
· Now, the critical question is this: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"
· Americans know the answer is "no." They are not better off than they were four years ago.
· No president has ever asked to be re-elected with this many Americans out of work.
· Tonight, President Obama failed to make the case why the next four years will be any different than the last four.
· He offered more promises, but he's failed to keep the promises he made four years ago.
o Even President Obama himself called his own record "incomplete" when asked to grade his time in office.
· Despite President Obama's promises, things did not get better. We're in the midst of the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression.
23 million Americans are struggling for work.
Chronic unemployment is the highest in recorded history.
More than half the jobs created since the recession ended are low-wage jobs.
Household income has fallen by more than $4,000.
More than 10 million homeowners are underwater on their mortgages.
Gas prices have more than doubled.
Family healthcare premiums have increased by more than $2,300.
Poverty rates are headed toward a 50-year high.
Nearly 47 million Americans are on food stamps.
· The last four years may be the best President Obama can do – but it's not the best America can do.
· The American people will hold this president accountable for his record of unmet goals and unfulfilled promises.
· Mitt Romney is the man for this moment. He will help us deliver a better future for all Americans.
Mitt Romney vs. President Obama: New Direction vs. More Of The Same
· President Obama's policies have crushed the middle class. He owns the worst economic record of any president in modern history.
· What we can expect from President Obama's second term is more of the same:
o President Obama's plan to raise taxes on small business won't add jobs, it will eliminate them
o His assault on coal and gas and oil will send energy and manufacturing jobs to China
o His trillion-dollar cuts to our military will eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs, and also put our security at greater risk
o His $716 billion cut to Medicare to finance Obamacare will both hurt today's seniors, and depress innovation – and jobs – in medicine
o And his trillion-dollar deficits will slow our economy, restrain employment, and cause wages to stall
· Mitt Romney is running for president to help create a better future. Mitt Romney's plan for a Stronger Middle Class will create 12 million new jobs. It has five steps:
o First, by 2020, North America will be energy independent by taking full advantage of our oil and coal and gas and nuclear and renewables.
o Second, we will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of today and the careers of tomorrow. When it comes to the school your child will attend, every parent should have a choice, and every child should have a chance.
o Third, we will make trade work for America by forging new trade agreements. And when nations cheat in trade, there will be unmistakable consequences.
o Fourth, to assure every entrepreneur and every job creator that their investments in America will not vanish as have those in Greece, we will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget.
o And fifth, Mitt Romney will champion small businesses, America's engine of job growth. That means reducing taxes on business, not raising them. It means simplifying and modernizing the regulations that hurt small business the most. And it means that we must rein in the skyrocketing cost of healthcare by repealing and replacing Obamacare.
· If we want a new direction, we need a new president.
BACKGROUND: THE OBAMA ECONOMY IN PERSPECTIVE
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Highest Unemployment Rate For A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· CARTER: President Jimmy Carter Has The Next Highest Rate; In August 1980, The Unemployment Rate Was 7.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The Current Unemployment Rate Is 8.3 Percent. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention With The Weakest GDP Growth For A Democrat Incumbent Since Jimmy Carter In 1980:
· CARTER: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 1980 Was -7.9 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: The GDP Growth Rate In The Second Quarter Of 2012 Was 1.7 Percent. (Bureau Of Economic Analysis, Accessed 9/6/12)
Obama Will Take The Stage At The Convention As Americans Face The Most Difficult Job Hunt Under A Democrat Incumbent Since The Great Depression:
· JOHNSON: President Lyndon Johnson Was The Next Highest; In August 1964, It Took An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 13.0 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
· OBAMA: In August 2012, It Takes An Unemployed Worker An Average Of 38.8 Weeks To Find A Job. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Accessed 9/6/12)
I'll start listening again, Mitt, once you release your tax returns
Obama has to go! Romney is the only choice to the path back to America stands for.
I just got through watching the DNC, where Biden and Obama in a large part stated specifics of how they will help america grow. I had missed the earlier RNC and so I went to the internet to watch it. I was shocked at how much back biting went on there. Almost everything ryan said was about how obama didnt do the right things and how the national debt had gone up during the last 4 years. They of course didnt take into account that percentage wise, the obama administration increased the debt much lesser than george bush.
But the plain fact is that the republicans dont really have anything to say about their own merits of why they should be elected. and instead just point out what they perceive as shortcomings with the democrats. Reminds me of Sarah Palins speech when she was running. My vote is democrat ll the way. By the way, why do people get offended if you ask them whether they vote democrat or republican?
The DNC speeches were far meatier, intelligent and inspiring than those of the RNC. Romney is a good man, a smart man. But he's the guy I want on the board of my for-profit company. Obama leads with wisdom, balance, sobriety, compassion, understanding and depth. He is what this country needs in *the* Presidency during incredibly unprecedented times. His speech tonight was right on, and it reminded me of why I voted for him 4 years ago. Thank you Obama for serving so diligently the past 4 years, and I am hoping with all hope that you get a chance at another 4.
Obama and the dems had too many straw men to fight. I's so dishonest! They lie about what republicans believe.
Wait...Romney said he didn't watch the speech...so how is he reacting to it?!?!?
It shud be a landslide for O'Bama after the DNC. It was a stunner & emphasized the dullness of the RNC except for Clint and His Chair. It shud be fun to see Clint's latest movie which opens in mid-September. It will be the preliminary test of whether his caper cost him and the Republicants the election.
Romney is a light-weight. Bill Clinton masterfully laid out the case for Obama's reelection. I almost feel sorry for Romney heading into the debates. All he can do is keep talking in plat.itudes. He cannot talk policy specifics because at least 66% of the American public would be horrified by his proposals.
Empty chair is on its way OUT!
I'm better off today than 4 years ago. Seriously. When Obama took office, my stock portolio was in the toilet. It is way up now. I feel much more optimisic. The economy tanked under Bush and Mitt has not explained how he would be different than Bush.
We are better off - we have the lowest unemployment of any major nation. we have a rising stock market. we have the lowest interest rates in history. The Government has given us the opportunity... it's time for We the People to step up recognize that we have to do our part.
Out of work? Start a company. Pay decreasing? Get new skills. Health care cost rising... lower your health costs by living healthier.
It's WE the PEOPLE. Obama in 2012!!
How can you offer to do the same thing Bush did, have 24 of your 32 advisers be Bush Alumni, and call it "A New Direction"? Mr. Romney, a U Turn is not a new direction!
Romney said he was not going to watch the speeches tonight but he immediately posted against what Obama said...what a liar....
After the DNC, everybody's chanting, "Mitt who?"
The great deceiver, while listening to Obama's speech I wonder how he kept his pants so clean, with the amount of BS that was piling up around him, while he talked.
Bush Sr. left Clinton a 5.5% GDP to begin with. So, live the lie Democrats. Clinton rode the dot.com bubble that exploded when he handed the economy to Bush Jr. So, live the lie Democrats. Clinton had the luckiest ride on the fake dot.com ventures that lasted all the way from 1996 to 2002. I was on the train in NY and every 20 year old was a millionaire in 1998. They mentioned they started a dot com company. Yeah Obama and Clinton ....talk smooth and fool America. They're ignorant people ....just talk smooth
OBAMA/BIDEN!!! I will reiterate what has already been said...you can't expect someone to fix 8 years worth of crap in 4 years. Romney is the rich white man's candidate. Better luck next time...or not...
Watching both the Republican Convention and the Democratic Convention, there is no doubt in my mind as to where we need to go as a nation: OBAMA 2012!
The last four years have been better than the previous eight.
I think Obama and Biden genuinely care about people; the both of them can relate to the average person, and they have not forgotten where they come from; their wives are real women, not trophies that walk around on their husband's arms...We need this team of leadership to move us forward.
We are in the midst of the worst economic RECOVERY since the Great Depression
The question should not be are you better off now than four years ago, the question should be what have you done in those four years to better yourself?
I have to believe that the American People are smart enough to see through the lies of the Republicans, or they will get more of Bush and his clan, God bless America God bless Barrack Obama and his Family
Romney thinks he can change our minds by not telling us what he will really do to medicare and flat out promoting more tax breaks for the rich! Obama has a plan & I believed in him 4 yrs ago & still do. He can hardly be blamed for the childish un-American congress that refuses to do anything but work to make him look bad & a 1 term president. Hopefully people will see the truth and they will be weeded out too!