September 6th, 2012

Romney: Obama speech will be 'interesting'

Manchester, New Hampshire (CNN) – Mitt Romney played political pundit Thursday, telling reporters what he hoped to hear President Obama discuss in his much-hyped Democratic National Convention speech that evening.

"I actually think it will be interesting to listen to the president tonight," Romney told a small group of reporters at an impromptu stop in Concord, New Hampshire, as he reeled off a list of areas - like reining in the national debt and restarting the sluggish job market - where he said the president had failed. "The president needs to report tonight on his promises rather than try to reset a whole series of new promises that he won't be able to keep."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The GOP presidential candidate had dropped by the unveiling of the "New Hampshire Military Veterans and Families for Mitt" group, a phone bank where veterans were doing voter outreach, as he traveled back from three days of debate preparations in Vermont.

Romney, who had spent the intensive prep time huddled with advisers at a secluded home, said he had not watched the convention speeches of first lady Michelle Obama nor former President Clinton, and he did not expect to watch Obama's either.

"You asked the question am I going to watch tonight," Romney told reporters who shouted questions to him during the quick stop. "If I heard, or if in the excerpts that are put out I hear, the president is going to report on the promises he made and how he has performed on those promises then I would love to watch it."

The presidential candidate said if elected he would create more jobs for veterans returning from Afghanistan, and thanked the veterans working the phones at his drop-by for calling voters to spread his message.

Afterward, a reporter asked Romney about criticism he had not specifically mentioned U.S. troops or the war in Afghanistan during his convention speech last week.

Romney pointed to remarks he gave at an American Legion convention last Wednesday in Indiana, the day before he addressed the Republican National Convention. The candidate made a day trip to Indianapolis that morning to attend the event.

"My commitment to the military is as shown here and at the American Legion," Romney said. "The president was also invited to the American Legion and he was too busy to go. It was during my convention. I went to the American Legion, described my views with regards to our military, my commitment to our military, my commitment to our men and women in uniform."

Obama addressed American Legion convention attendees via video.

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. @GuileOfTheGods

So first Romney says he's not going to watch because Obama didn't keep his promises, and now he's saying watching Obama's speech will be interesting. I'm confused, because it's not like Mitt Romney to say one thing and then turn around and imply the opposite...

September 6, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  2. Critical Thinking

Given what I have heard so far and the dems desire to wait for it....spend more if you can believe that basically confirms my thinking that spending has become an addiction to this party. They can not function without the need to spend more and more of our hard earned dollars. Instead of a convention, I think they need an intervention. Just a reminder to all dems, we are elcting the President of the United States, not Santa Clause of the United States.

September 6, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. Woman In California

Don't worry Ahab – because I'm sure you acted just like Ahab (when you were kicking and screaming on your bed) the night of your speech, when you didn't get any attention. You also know the president won't need an old man and an empty chair to hold the audience, so why don't you take your opinions and go join some of those countries outside of the U.S. where you keep your money loser.

September 6, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  4. beevee

President Obama and this guy Mitt Romney both earned law degrees from the same top notch university. But there is a great difference between the two – president Obama is working hard to get the whole country to be propserous while Mitt Romney is pandering to the rich. The choice for the voters is crystal clear. Obama.

September 6, 2012 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  5. kevin

Interesting speech but he cherryed picked his facts. He didn't mention the fact that due to his policies the tech bubble burst and the NASDEC has never recovered from it. He also didn't mention he got the law repealed that kept banks and money investing seperate which allowed the banks to risk bank money on risky investments like the subprime mortgage market and we all know what happen there. He failed to note he left office and handed over to Bush a recession that was starting to deepen due to his policies. When he claimed no president ever turned an economy around in 4 years he should have remembered President Reagan. When Reagan took office unemployment was 10.2%, double digit inflation, double digit interest rates, and government spending at 23.4% of GDP. Reagan changed all that with his 4 point plan of tax cuts, real government speding cuts to almost 20% of GDP, lifted price controls on oil and gas and production soared and prices dropped 50%, and losen regulations to enable businesses to expand and increased military spending that ended the Cold War without a shot being fired and not increasing government spending, all in 4 years with a Dem controlled Congress. Obama is following the exacct oppisite track. There were other examples but I believe I made my point.

September 6, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  6. John the Historian

Willard needs to go find his 56 virgin wives on the planet kolob. All mormons know why 56 is important to Brigham Young. I wonder if Anne will get 56 husbands on this planet of kolob. Is there any fremasonry guide telling us how to get to kolob. We know how much mormons have stolen from freemasonry. Joseph Smith and Brigham Young the two murderers and rapists need to awiat their new neighbor.

September 6, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  7. Dee

Sandra

@ Dee,
    You are confusing Obama with Romney. He is the one who only talks about ideas of the past.
    ______________

The problem is Romney's ideas employed lots and lots of people and made him wealthy. Obama's ideas have increased the deficit, unemployment, welfare recipients, decreased families net worth, and list gone on, and on..........It’s just pitiful but feel free to take a second serving of that chicken sh.t salad if you please.

September 6, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. Dave

Mitt had better spend more time on his debate prep instead of playing pundit. He won't be able to keep telling the same lies over and over again...

September 6, 2012 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  9. B.

I am sure that Romney will find the debates more than interesting, they will be his undoing by revealing the truth about him and his obvious limittions.

September 6, 2012 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  10. MP in VA

I still find it amazingly ironic that, for all his disparaging of "Obama's promises," Romney has asked the electorate to support his promises and do exactly what Obama asked of the electorate in 2008.

September 6, 2012 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  11. Woman In California

He'll watch AS USUAL and CRY as usual trying to LEARN from the president.

September 6, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  12. Maxx

What about all the promises you made Mitt when running for governor of MA (especially all the jobs you were going to create) that you didn't keep? I thought what was good for the goose was good for the gander.

September 6, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  13. once upon a horse

@myviews...

When Bill Clinton made the statement about HATE on the GOP side you were one of the first things that popped into my mind. Wonder why that was then I read all your posts and now i know why it was.

September 6, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  14. myviewis

Woman In California

He'll watch AS USUAL and CRY as usual trying to LEARN from the president.
    ---------------------------

Romney will learn from President Obama how to backpedal, he's really good at it.

September 6, 2012 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  15. myviewis

Maxx

------------------

According to FactCheck when Romney became governor of Massachusetts they were at 50 job creation, when Romney left it was at 28 job creation.

September 6, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  16. T'sah From Virginia

►"I went to the American Legion, described my views with regards to our military, my commitment to our military, my commitment to our men and women in uniform."◄

Yep, with a media audience of about 20 viewers and NOT to the so-called MILLIONS that was watching during your convention speech. No Romney, your only mission during your convention was to make you more likeable!!! How's that "likeable" working for you now?

Obama/Biden 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!

September 6, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. myviewis

once upon a horse
    Wonder why that was then I read all your posts and now i know why it was.
    ------------------–

Because I like President Clinton and think he is a real gentleman in forgiving Obama for trashing his wife and is out having to rescue Obama.

September 6, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. SafeJourney

Read "Debt and Greed Romney" google it

September 6, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  19. Woman In California

myviewis

Woman In California

He'll watch AS USUAL and CRY as usual trying to LEARN from the president.
    ---------

Well, we all know Willard is a SLOW learner. By the time he FINALLY remembers what he is supposed to be against and for, the president will be re-elected and the Romney's will be history.

September 6, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. Anonymous

I might even have to watch CNN after the speech tonight. Just to get David Gergen's biased opinion. Dude reeks of Mitch McConnell biased talking points. Has since the day Obama became President.

September 6, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |