Ann Romney defers same-sex marriage, birth control questions to husband
September 7th, 2012

Ann Romney defers same-sex marriage, birth control questions to husband

(CNN) – Ann Romney adamantly stayed on message when asked in an interview with an Iowa television station about same-sex marriage and whether employer-provided health insurance should cover birth control, deferring questions on such issues to the GOP nominee.

Mrs. Romney told KWQC via satellite Friday morning that her message to voters was to trust Mitt Romney to bring the country a sound economic future. But when asked her views on contentious social issues Mrs. Romney firmly adhered to the GOP's economic message and declined to answer.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I'm not going to talk about the specific issues. I'm going to let my husband speak on issues," said Mrs. Romney adding that such topics are a distraction from the focus of the election and what the Republican nominee's wife says women voters want to talk about-jobs and the economy.

When asked if she believes employer-provided health insurance should be required to cover birth control, Mrs. Romney said, "Again, you're asking me questions that are not about what this election is going to be about. This election is going to be about the economy and jobs."

Republican candidate's wife, a powerful and effective surrogate to her husband's presidential efforts, insisted that the campaign's message was focused on fixing the economy, period.

"So really if you want to try to pull me off of the other messages it's not going to work because I know because I've been out there," said Mrs. Romney.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Iowa • Same-sex marriage
  1. California Grandma

what a good mormon wife! deferring the sticky topics to her husband, who also is quite adept at not answering questions straight forwardly. what a pair.

September 8, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  2. Yolie Scott

Ann Romney only cares about one thing, she wants to be the First Lady no matter what it takes to get there.

September 8, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  3. bassman

Just for the record. Has any member of our media ever asked Michelle Obama if Partial birth abortion is exceptable? No,

September 8, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  4. jon

The economy isn't the only issue on peoples mind. How arrogant.

September 8, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  5. Seattle11

Mrs Romney is as bad as her husband about not answering questions.

September 8, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. GI Joe

As my wife has insisted I write here: SHE does not speak for real American women that do without so that their families can have.

September 8, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  7. ted

Really? You can't answer these questions? Why?

September 8, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. BillSD33

Continuing saga: Mitt says Paul will talk specifics, Paul says Anne will talk specifics, Anne says Mitt will talk specifics. The wheel on the bus goes round and round. The real question she should ask is "what do you want to hear", that is my answer!

September 8, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  9. n

Well, what good is this Romney women? She puts her self out in front touting that she knows what issues are more important to women. So when they tell her what's most important to them by asking questions, she only talks about what's more important and safe for her and her husband to answer without fear of backlash and alienating the core or the female electorate. I can see why they are married to each other. Both, Romney the twit, snake oil salesman and his jezebel wife, are big fat phonies! Yeah, I said it . . . >:o(

September 8, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  10. Puddin

HA! I'll bet if her hubby were asked the same questions, he would dance around them too. And "just trust Mitt" doesn't cut it.

September 8, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |