Ann Romney defers same-sex marriage, birth control questions to husband
September 7th, 2012

Ann Romney defers same-sex marriage, birth control questions to husband

(CNN) – Ann Romney adamantly stayed on message when asked in an interview with an Iowa television station about same-sex marriage and whether employer-provided health insurance should cover birth control, deferring questions on such issues to the GOP nominee.

Mrs. Romney told KWQC via satellite Friday morning that her message to voters was to trust Mitt Romney to bring the country a sound economic future. But when asked her views on contentious social issues Mrs. Romney firmly adhered to the GOP's economic message and declined to answer.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I'm not going to talk about the specific issues. I'm going to let my husband speak on issues," said Mrs. Romney adding that such topics are a distraction from the focus of the election and what the Republican nominee's wife says women voters want to talk about-jobs and the economy.

When asked if she believes employer-provided health insurance should be required to cover birth control, Mrs. Romney said, "Again, you're asking me questions that are not about what this election is going to be about. This election is going to be about the economy and jobs."

Republican candidate's wife, a powerful and effective surrogate to her husband's presidential efforts, insisted that the campaign's message was focused on fixing the economy, period.

"So really if you want to try to pull me off of the other messages it's not going to work because I know because I've been out there," said Mrs. Romney.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Iowa • Same-sex marriage
  1. Ayn Rand(author of 'Selfishness is a Virtue') was an atheist, so doesn't that make her disciple, Paul Ryan, "ANTI-CHRIST"?

Just like a good little Stepford wife, this stupid sow walks 10 paces behind her man and "defers to her man" about women's issue.

"You people" say missy is a stupid, brown-eyed cow.

September 7, 2012 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. Dee

I wonder why she answers everything else for him he seems as if he can't function unless she is by his side.

The media needs to continue to ask the hard questions pounce on his taxes he is applying for a job for the american people and we have a right to the answers.

September 7, 2012 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. "The cars get the elevator and the workers get the shaft" - Gov. Jennifer Granholm

Translation: "If you think I am going to tell the truth, 'you people' are sadly mistaken".

September 7, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  4. Karl Jonas

YOU PEOPLE have gotten all you're going to get out of me...

September 7, 2012 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. jasara

As an independent I wish everyone would quit trying to tell me what this election is about-I can tell you Ann-it's not about listening to you parrot talking points-I would be much more interested in listening to a woman who could answer a question and have an opinion-Mrs romney doesn 't seem to have her own voice at all–and surely does not care to hear from women with a voice-I would be interested in a debate between the First Lady Mrs Obama and Mrs Romney.

September 7, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  6. 1twinsfan

No, Mrs. Romney, YOU don't get to decide what this election is about, the voters do.

September 7, 2012 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  7. Cohen

This woman and her husband will never tell us anything about what they stand. They just think they can lie their way to power.

September 7, 2012 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  8. Dann DFW

But we had an election in 2010 that was supposed to be about the economy. Instead, the first thing the Republican House did was hold a symbolic vote about banning federal funding for abortions; a law which had been on the books for decades. I will not fall for the "bait and switch" vote for the economy and we'll follow a social agenda propaganda a second time.

September 7, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  9. tess

she is such a class act – what a breath of fresh air she will bring to the white house!

September 7, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  10. 1608

mitt did not tell her what to say.

September 7, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  11. aaron

Apparently, these extremists want to concentrate on the economy, which their party destroyed in 8 years of unfunded wars and outright looting. Never mind they're against birth control period and seek to impose their views on the entire country. And, apparently, the primary wife has put her husband Romney in control of her body. Be mindful. People think these extremists will never be able to impose all their crackpot ideas on an entire country. The Germans thought the same thing, ending up with the Nazis and their fascist policies imposed on the entire country and a good part of the European continent. These loons are already at full strength rightwingism, just a tad from being outright fascists.

September 7, 2012 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. Obama2012

And if people asked her about specifics on the economy and what her husband would do to fix it, she wouldn't answer either!

September 7, 2012 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  13. Joanne

What does Ann R. know about the American economy for the average middle class wage earner? And of course she won't speak about specific issues just like her husband because neither of them have a clue what the real world is all about!

September 7, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  14. enuff

Her husband doesn't want to talk about specific issues either.

September 7, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  15. Crismn

Of course she won't answer, the message Republicans have on these topics are so ugly that they themselves are ashamed! And regarding te economics... Well they defy arithmetic! This lady as her husband are ready to slam the door on the face of middle class! News cast: WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!!! Tell this to your handlers!

September 7, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  16. impact09

You know, I think the only thing more disgusting than this woman arrogance, is the way your moderators cover for that arrogance, and refuse to let any criticism of her or her hubby though. Lets make a deal, I'll pretend I'm a blogger, and you can pretend you run a legitimate News Organisation.

September 7, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  17. Barbara; IL

wrong Mrs. Romney. As a registered Republican woman, I DO care about these issues as much as I care about the economy. As long as your husband and the current Republican party take these archaic views (far right), I will be voting for President Obama! When the party platform moves back towards the center, I will once again support it.

September 7, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  18. Grahame Rhodes

She Lies. It's about everything that each party stands for

September 7, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  19. OCCavoter

Ann come off as bulrish, snobby, and stuck up. She should be getting facts about the sound bites her husband, his VP shadow spewing out.

September 7, 2012 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  20. Marla

Like any good little conservative Stepford wife, she isn't allowed to voice opinions of her very own.

September 7, 2012 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  21. T'sah From Virginia

"I'm not going to give more taxes nor am I going to talk about the issues that America cares about – I'm just going to talk about what a great guy my husband is..." Pahleezzzzeee!!!

Obama/Biden 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!

September 7, 2012 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  22. kathy/Minnesota

Ann Romney did just like her husband does,when ask a (really pretty basic) question,BOBBIN and WEAVEN.

September 7, 2012 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  23. kathy/Minnesota

Why do they "always" have one black person,directly behind their head........EVERYWHERE.

September 7, 2012 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  24. Jane

OMG, do we really want a first lady who can't speak her own mind. At least be honest and ans. whatever you believe, Ann. that can be respected. Be your own person.

September 8, 2012 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  25. NPW

Of course she deferred to her husband. That's what a good Republican woman is supposed to do; defer to the men who will make all the really hard decisions for her since women are just inherently unstable and emotional and in need of a daddy-state to take care of them. If Mrs. Romney thinks that this election is not going to be about a woman's right to control government access to her body, and equal and fair access to wages and healthcare, she is even more out of touch than I thought.

September 8, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |