Ann Romney defers same-sex marriage, birth control questions to husband
September 7th, 2012

Ann Romney defers same-sex marriage, birth control questions to husband

(CNN) – Ann Romney adamantly stayed on message when asked in an interview with an Iowa television station about same-sex marriage and whether employer-provided health insurance should cover birth control, deferring questions on such issues to the GOP nominee.

Mrs. Romney told KWQC via satellite Friday morning that her message to voters was to trust Mitt Romney to bring the country a sound economic future. But when asked her views on contentious social issues Mrs. Romney firmly adhered to the GOP's economic message and declined to answer.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I'm not going to talk about the specific issues. I'm going to let my husband speak on issues," said Mrs. Romney adding that such topics are a distraction from the focus of the election and what the Republican nominee's wife says women voters want to talk about-jobs and the economy.

When asked if she believes employer-provided health insurance should be required to cover birth control, Mrs. Romney said, "Again, you're asking me questions that are not about what this election is going to be about. This election is going to be about the economy and jobs."

Republican candidate's wife, a powerful and effective surrogate to her husband's presidential efforts, insisted that the campaign's message was focused on fixing the economy, period.

"So really if you want to try to pull me off of the other messages it's not going to work because I know because I've been out there," said Mrs. Romney.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Iowa • Same-sex marriage
  1. enuff

Asking questions that are not about what this election is going to be about? Healthcare is not going to be part of this election? What happened to day one and repealing healthcare with ROMNEY?

September 8, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  2. kim000

So Ann must think like her husband that women are a diversion or in his own words a bright shiny object.
    What happened? I can still hear Ann in her wavering voice 'I love you women' followed by a giggle.
    I guess it was funny now that we know we don't count in the Romney world.
    According to Willard troops aren't important either.He said he only speaks of important matters.
    Interesting take from a man running for president.

September 8, 2012 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  3. History

Hmm... Leave it up to the husband style. I am sorry but I am also a wife and I have my own opinion about issues that has to do with woman and my birth control pills. I don't leave it up to my husband. Mrs. Romney, I do respect you but this is the 21st century. If you will be my president and first lady...I must hear what my First lady has to say about those issues... if you leave it up to the husband....sorry, No vote from me .....

September 8, 2012 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  4. shawm

Head I win tail you loose!

September 8, 2012 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  5. moonghaelela

Always the loyal Mormon wife. She knows her place.

September 8, 2012 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  6. TN Mom

Romney said in April, "My wife has the occasion, as you know, to campaign on her own and also with me, and she reports to me regularly that the issue women care about most is the economy."

The thing is if you want to know what women want to talk about you listen to the issues/questions that so many women are bringing up. It seems to be more likely that she is the one being told to not talk about women's issues, but rather the economy. Excuse me but, Birth Control is a MAJOR Women's Issue.

September 8, 2012 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  7. Lisa

No spine, Ann. Can't you have your own opinion or does your husband dictate your belief system? Pathetic. I have no respect for thses type of woman....stepford wife-types.

September 8, 2012 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  8. craigles

Let's see the tax returns.

September 8, 2012 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  9. dm nash

I got news for Ann Romney.....to a great number of citizens those "social issues" are every bit as important as jobs and the economy and I'm damn sure they're registered to vote. How dismissive you are of how this election will effect peoples lives & loves. Guess us little people are just "distractions".

September 8, 2012 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  10. SpceN9

Go to YouTube and watch : Banned Mormon Cartoon

September 8, 2012 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  11. Kalashnikova

Ann Romney, powerful and effective? Please. She's a sad withered Stepford clone. A Barbie doll has more in common with real women.

September 8, 2012 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  12. BeverlyNC

A true Mormon wife who is brought up to be second to her husband, stay home, raise a brood of Mormom children and keep her opinions to herself. She is not the average American woman who thinks, acts, and makes decisions for herself on her own body, healthcare, family planning for children, and a career of her choosing. Michelle Obama represents today's American woman – intelligent, a Harvard Lawyer, working for her own causes with Veterans and their families and to end childhood obesity and the health damage it creates. I choose Michelle and I choose a man of character and integrity for President. I choose President Obama.

September 8, 2012 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  13. Roger Rabbit

Talk to me about money, I know that... For everything else I don't have an opinion, talk to my hubby about it!

September 8, 2012 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  14. John Smith

They have no opinion of anything... otherwise they have every single opinion you want to hear.

September 8, 2012 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  15. Carl

Sorry ANN-toinnette, but you and alexithymic Mitt won't be deciding which issues the AMERICAN PEOPLE want to vote for or against.

September 8, 2012 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  16. don't belev the hipe

So...now gays and woman's issues are nothing but a distraction. Poor Ann, she needs to go back and play with her $500.000 hobby.

September 8, 2012 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  17. REALLYTIRED

SO THEY ANSWER WHENEVER THEY LIKE

September 8, 2012 03:28 am at 3:28 am |
  18. Disapp0inted

Hate to break it to ya, Ann, I am a female Ohio swing voter, and those other issues ARE what this election is about. I'm okay with the economy now that it is growly, albeit slowly. Where the Romney/Ryan ticket stands on things like these are very real to women are what we want to talk about. I'd rather hear from someone else more qualified to speak on the jobs/economy aspect than you anyway, Ann.

September 8, 2012 03:48 am at 3:48 am |
  19. Thomas

What will Ann Romney say when asked hard questions , like why all five of her Boys avoided voluntary military service in times of war , wars they supported ?

I'm sure she will have an economic answer , and stay on Message .

September 8, 2012 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  20. Gary

I thjink Michelle Obama instead of deferring the questions to her husband would have the ability and would be allowed to answer the questions. Guess Ann is afraid of another you people comment.

September 8, 2012 04:00 am at 4:00 am |
  21. Cam Spurgeon

Why show up. No taxes, no answers on issues . Just trust me. Yeah right. Go home Lady!

September 8, 2012 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  22. Daystar

We are not YOUR people and i do not belong in your circle. My hope is you never see the inside of the White House.

September 8, 2012 05:04 am at 5:04 am |
  23. tangledthorns

Liberals will try to make this about social issues even though Romney is right about them the voters will elect him to fix the economy.

September 8, 2012 05:31 am at 5:31 am |
  24. Vic of New York

Right..... Except her husband, "Which-Way" Mitt, won't speak about specific issues either !

September 8, 2012 05:45 am at 5:45 am |
  25. Larry in Houston

Hillary Rosen was right – she just said it in the wrong way – it's not that she never worked a day in her life – it's : "she doesn't know what it's like to struggle" or "have Never Known it" is what Rosen should have said. Oh well, at least I can stomach her, compared to Palin.
    Vote Democrat 2012 (for the "working" middle class) ( what's left of us)

September 8, 2012 05:53 am at 5:53 am |