Palin: Kerry 'diminished' by mentioning her name
September 7th, 2012

Palin: Kerry 'diminished' by mentioning her name

(CNN) – Sarah Palin responded to John Kerry's jab during his speech at Thursday's Democratic National Convention questioning why the former Democratic presidential candidate would even know her name.

"I think he diminished himself by even mentioning my name," said the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate appearing on Fox Business Network shortly after Kerry's remarks. "How does he even know my name? I mean, aren't these guys supposed to be these big wig elites who don't waste their time on little people like me-me, representing the average American."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Palin made the frequently attacked comments in a 2008 interview asserting that Alaska's proximity with Russia helped to bolster her foreign policy credentials.

Palin continued, defending her 2008 remarks: "Yeah, I did say in Alaska you can see Russia from our land base and I was making the point that we are strategically located on the globe when it comes to transportation corridors and resources that are shared and fought over (in) Alaska, and I as the governor had known what I was doing in dealing with some international issues that had to do with our resources that could help secure the nation."

In his speech to Charlotte's Democratic National Convention, Massachusetts Sen. Kerry told the audience, "Folks, Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from Alaska. Mitt Romney talks like he's only seen Russia by watching 'Rocky IV.'"

"It's funny that he would take a little pot shot like that but funny he even knows my name," said Palin with a smirk.

Romney has faced much criticism over his own comment about Russia, labeling the country the United States' "number one geopolitical foe."

This isn't the first time Palin's now infamous comments on Russia have made her the butt of the political joke. Saturday Night Live's Tina Fey mimicked Palin's folksy case for her foreign policy record in a skit joking, "I can see Russia from my house."

And this isn't the first time Kerry and Palin have traded punches. In 2009, Palin poked fun at Kerry's face following his comments suggesting she should drop out of the public sphere in light of reports that then-South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford's previously unknown whereabouts had been discovered.

"Too bad if a governor had to go missing it couldn't have been the governor of Alaska," said Kerry, referring to Palin.

"John Kerry, why the long face?" Palin later retorted speaking to U.S. troops in Kosovo.

Filed under: 2012 • John Kerry • Sarah Palin
  1. don in albuquerque

Sarah, you are truely simple.

September 7, 2012 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. Thomas

The image of America was greatly diminished the day McCain made his poor selection of her as his VP candidate and turned Mooselini & family into an ongoing reality show. She was, is and always will be a bad joke on the voting public.

September 7, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  3. Ms

Secretly, she's just happy she's in the news again.

September 7, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. Hannah

She's already diminished, Kerry didn't have to do a thing. What a group of GOPer's these days, without a brain in their head. Christo looked like mafia, Ryan like a used car salesman.... And Clint looked like the poster person for the party, old, white and male.

September 7, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. lolo

Honey everyone knows your name. Who would forget the dummie from Wasilla Alaska, who divided the country. You are a household name, but it isn't what you would like to be known for in history, that I assure you.

September 7, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Vote for Seamus, elect Kolob's next dog catcher

Average little people are not quiters.
    You do not represent me.

Move to Republistan, represent Rupert Murdoch there where you belong.

September 7, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  7. Sniffit

Sorry, but this one doesn't even register on the care-o-meter.

September 7, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. stevensrmiller

Where to begin...

With asking why a former governor and candidate for vice-president would think a senator and former candidate for president wouldn't know her name?

With pointing out that only a clueless elitist would make a "let them eat cake" remark about "little people," comparing her millionaire-self to "the average American"?

With saying I wish Mitt had chosen _her_ instead of Paul?

Nah... I'll go with the obvious: Sarah _who_?

September 7, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  9. steven harnack

Yes we all diminish ourselves a little bit when we mention Palin. As usual she doesn't have a clue as to what she is actually saying when she puts it like that. I wonder how it feels to have your own political party send you and your whole family on an all expense paid trip to nowhere during their convention? Kinda like; don't call us, we'll call you but darn it, we just don't have any quarters.

September 7, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  10. Vote for Seamus, elect Kolob's next dog catcher

"How does he even know my name?"

Could it be you ran as republican VP during the last election?
    Prior to that, most people have not heard of you, and now most people regret it like Rush and Beck. Nutjobs.

September 7, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  11. Gurgyl

Just go way if you care for USA, Ms. Elitist.

September 7, 2012 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Carol

Sarah Palin is right: her name isn't worth mentioning, and people out to stop doing it.

September 7, 2012 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  13. ThinkAgain: Mittens 'n' Munster are Liars

The Quitta from Wasilla was the Repub VP candidate and ever since she quit as Governor of Alaska, she's done nothing but seek publicity like the media w*ore she is; why wouldn't Kerry know her name?

September 7, 2012 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. Namejkane sfl a vote for the gop will cut your moms medicare and soc sec .can you afford to pay for them???

No Sara ,the big eleatest would be your bro ,romney the tax cheat and his wife !!!!

September 7, 2012 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  15. Anonymous

John Kerry knows your name because he actually reads the newspaper and pays attention to the news, unlike the former governor of Alaska.

September 7, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. GOP is Dead

-----------------------------------------------------She's still trying that "little 'ole me" and "grass roots" angle. This useless bag of protoplasm milked the right-wingers dry and a few of them still listen to her mindless comments. Then the Republicans pick yet another deeply flawed candidate in Paul Ryan – a pathological liar. The Republican Party is dead and gone...

September 7, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  17. Lynda

Is it possible that she can make herself sound any stupider than she already has? Why yes, apparently she can. Shut up Sarah. You do NOT represent the average American, not by a long shot. Get over yourself and go shoot something.

September 7, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  18. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I wonder if the sneaky little weasel Eric Cantor and Lyin' Ryan are giggling at the jobs report because they refuse to bring the senate bipartisan jobs bill to a vote. I only hope their attack on American workers will backfire on them.

September 7, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. GI Joe

Did you see her this morning? She looked and sounded like she was drugged and feeling sorry for poor little sara.

Glad she knows she's a nothing. Finally!!!!

September 7, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  20. Lamar in Dallas, TX

Little People like her? Are you kidding, Sarah? How many millions do you have in the bank? You may have been a "little person" years ago, but you are not anymore.

September 7, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  21. Wire Palladin, S. F.

A lot of good things have happened in the past three and a half years, and the republicans voted against every one of them.

September 7, 2012 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  22. Woman In California

Lots of love from California to John Kerry.

Sarah get a life and get out of politics if you're that sensitive.

Great speech and RIGHT on point.

September 7, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  23. WhereIsPalin

"......I mean, aren't these guys supposed to be these big wig elites who don't waste their time on little people like me-me, representing the average American."

I consider myself an "average" American, and Palin, you don't represent me in any way. You only represent the worst of the US. Why would Kerry waste his time on "little people" like you? It's because you want to be one of "these big wig elites". And you can't even come close. If it wasn't for the stupidity of Fox News, you'd be completely forgotten by now. Get over yourself Palin. You are only John McCain's biggest mistake of his life.

September 7, 2012 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  24. walleye46

Palin diminishes herself – every time she opens her yap.

September 7, 2012 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  25. kate

Do we even care what she thinks????

September 7, 2012 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |