Obama marks 9/11 in weekly address
September 8th, 2012

Obama marks 9/11 in weekly address

(CNN) - President Barack Obama marked the anniversary of the September 11th attacks in his Saturday weekly address, reflecting on the lessons learned in the 11 years since.

Although the attacks killed nearly 3,000 in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, Obama said the country has emerged stronger and noted that the mastermind, "Osama bin Laden will never threaten America again."

The president has proclaimed Tuesday, the anniversary, Patriot Day and the National Day of Service and Remembrance.

In his weekly address, Obama said the country has "strengthened our alliances while improving our security here at home." He emphasized that the war is against "al Qaeda and its affiliates," and that the country "will never be at war with Islam or any other religion."

He honored the military legacy of those who joined the U.S. military after the attacks and those who have given back to their communities.

"Instead of changing who we are, the attacks have brought out the best in the American people," Obama said.

Obama also acknowledged that the war in Iraq ended under his leadership and that "by the end 2014, the transition in Afghanistan will be complete and our war there will be over," points he often brings up on the campaign trail.

Filed under: 2012
  1. luke,az

How can anyone vote for the Vulture/Voucher guys, Romney and Ryan. President Obama deserves 4 more years just for killing Osama bin Laden during his first term. By the way, SHOW US YOUR TAXES WILLARD !!!

September 8, 2012 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  2. Gurgyl

Great....

September 8, 2012 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  3. T'sah From Virginia

This year on Tuesday we celebrate 9 1 1
    The same day it actually happened in 2001
    It's now 11 years later and America is more split than before
    We forget about how to treat others as soon as we walk out our front door

Where is that "togetherness" we felt – did it all just go to hell?
    Why aren’t all Americans still wearing that flag on their lapel?
    Maybe it's because what was hidden in the past is now upfront
    Hatred for others has surfaced and it's BOLDER and not so blunt

It all boils down to who our leader is today and instead of joining him, most want to condemn!
    Many refuse to see the same vision he has because through HIS eyes it’s so unknown to them
    So instead of coming together to SOLVE the problems that America faces today, they rather turn their backs
    And yes, America is NOT the same anymore because it is easier now to CRITICIZE and ATTACK!

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

Obama/Biden 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!

September 8, 2012 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  4. Romney Hood's a FRAUD

Obama is a class act.

LOL. I heard a small portion of a Romney speech the other day where Romney was supposedly talking to a prime minister of a country in Europe and the prime minisiter asked Romney "where is America's Leadership?". I guess Willard was too blinded by his own ambition to recognize that that question was an insult to AMERICA because he didn't respond with something along the lines of "While we may have our differences in policy, I assure you that American leadership is alive and well....and will be there when our allies need us regardless of who is in the White House or in control of congress". BUT THEN AGAIN, Romney did hide money in the islands to shirk his responsibilities as an American, so I don't know why I'm surprised that he just doesn't get it. Businessman – YES. President – NO WAY!!

September 8, 2012 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  5. maf

Strong foreign policy, strong universal leadership v Romney / Ryan????
    I welcome President Obama's take on the world v Romney tripping over himself on his last exploit overseas!!!

September 8, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  6. Desmond, a Canadian

AFTER CHECKING ALL THE FACTS, ANYBODY IN HER/HIS RIGHT MIND WILL NATURALLY VOTE FOR OBAMA

September 8, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. WiredweirdinSF

Funny? Now where in the liberally biased media can I find the story about the Obama appointees to the FAA telling employees they had better vote for Obama or lose their jobs. Flagrant violation of the law, but you can bet the corrupt Obama Justice Department will not investigate. It is the same thing as the Black Panthers standing out in front of the polling station in Philadelphia with clubs telling voters they had better vote for Obama. Justice Department said that was not a violation, but burned Texas for having the gall to ask inelligible Obama voters for identification or depriving the military citizens of Ohio station overseas the opportunity to vote. That is justice in the Obamanation this county has become.

September 8, 2012 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  8. Puddin

When this country was attacked in such a way, I don't think I had ever experienced such heart ache as I did when I realized we had lost so many people. Then after the wars began, I was aching again at how many of our military we would lose, and I'm still aching for those families whose loved ones will never come home again. I've hated these wars and am happy now that the second one is ending. I thank Pres. Obama for that, and I thank him for sending the SEALS on a mission into Pakistan to do away with such a miserable so-and-so who caused all this misery. I've always wondered why GW Bush just forgot about hunting this creep down. Could it be that the Saudis are Bush family friends? I would really like to know.
    '