September 10th, 2012

Romney's tap dance around Obamacare

(CNN) – Mitt Romney gave the appearance of taking a stunning new position Sunday when it seemed he was embracing parts of Obamacare, a law he's vowed – vehemently and repeatedly – to repeal if he wins the election.

"So you'd keep that part of the federal plan," NBC's "Meet the Press" host David Gregory asked the candidate, referring to Obamacare's provisions about pre-existing conditions and coverage for young adults. Romney replied, "I'm not getting rid of all of health care reform. Of course, there are a number of things that I like in health care reform that I'm going to put in place."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

While it may have sounded like Romney was agreeing with parts of Obamacare, parsing his words it's evident he embraced "health care reform" but not "Obamacare" or the "health care reform law." The Romney campaign insists that he was not embracing any part of the health care reform law known as Obamacare. And a spokesperson told CNN Romney is in favor of health care reform, though not in the same way it is handled under Obamacare.

"He will repeal Obamacare," the spokesperson wrote in an email to CNN.

Obamacare, among other things, forbids health insurance companies from denying people insurance because they have a pre-existing condition.

Romney has said his own health care reforms would assure that some, but not all, people with pre-existing conditions would be guaranteed coverage. In speeches and on his website, he's said that people with pre-existing conditions who've maintained "continuous" health insurance in the past should be assured insurance.

Read this for more information on Romney's health care reform proposals.

Filed under: 2012 • Health care • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. didijusthear

Um....I think I just read that he thinks people should have to prove that they were healthy before they got sick and then can go buy insurance and can't be denied it. So....what's the purpose of health reform again? To make it easier for healthy people to avoid paying for insurance, thereby shrinking the pool of payers?

September 10, 2012 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  2. GI Joe

He outsourced one of my good-paying jobs in the mid-1990s. I'll NEVeR forgive him.

I got another job, but it then began happening all over the country. I retired 2 years before I intended to because the outsourcing continues to this day. I worked 47 years out of the full 50 I had intended. Romney and people like him outsourced 1/18th of my livlihood, and my social security.

September 10, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  3. Anna B

Out of many disturbing aspects of Romney's ruminations and flip flopping on healthcare is that he seems to think that passing a new healthcare reform act will be a snap of the fingers for him. Really shows his ignorance of history and the DC political scene. Obama made healthcare reform one of his top priorities. He had a personal stake in it given his mom's history with insurance issues ... it took an extremely determined effort and a lot of work to get reform through. NO OTHER politician that tried to accomplish this in 50 years of trying has accomplished this. I certainly don't think the ACA is the be all end all, but it is a huge accomplishment and I am extremely grateful to Obama for making this a priority – being someone who has dealt with the pre-existing condition issue first-hand. Romney seems to assume he can waltz into office, repeal the ACA and then pass his own version – whatever THAT would be. He doesn't seem to realize that things like this take an effort, heart, and staying power. I believe he still thinks he would operate as CEO and with his orders things would get done. He has no clue, and it's really scary.

September 10, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  4. Republican who supports President Obama

Fantastic picture for this story. He looks like he needs a Kleenex

September 11, 2012 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  5. Former Republican, now an Independent

The Romney campaign, unlike the rest of the GOP, realizes that an increasing majority of Americans are realizing that Obamacare is in their best interests. The GOP wants all healthcare to be in the interests of insurance companies and medical businesses. Romney has always been in favor of this Affordable Care Act, but had to sell his soul to the neo- cons by saying that he would repeal it his 1st day in office. He has flip flopped so much, no one really knows what he really supports and what he does not. The only thing we know for certain is that he supports big business over American Workers.

September 11, 2012 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  6. ThinkAgain: Mittens 'n' Munster are Liars

He should just change his name to "Myth" Romney since that sums up his integrity ...

September 11, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  7. ThinkAgain: Mittens 'n' Munster are Liars

All this blowing in the wind and flip-flopping around ... I honestly wonder if it isn't a product of Mittens' religious upbringing. Here's why I say this:

My former neighbors, lovely people, great family, were Mormon. I once mentioned how my family enjoyed going to Disneyland; their kids told me they couldn't go there because their church told them they couldn't, in protest to to Disney extending partnership benefits to unmarried and gay couples. OK, cool, freedom to exercise your wallet in protest.

Then about a year later, they gave my young son a gift – a shirt from Disneyland! When I asked how they got it, the kids said they'd gone to Disneyland because their church had now said it was OK to do so. (Kinda like how Salt Lake City started selling liquor on Sundays when the Winter Olympics came to town.)

So I'm thinking this blowing in the wind thing of Mittens is just how his mind works: No core, just whatever is expedient in the moment ...

September 11, 2012 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  8. Roy

Do you want to have a president like Mr. Romney who says whatever to make the voters to like him better so we need to be careful since he would go back to old self once he is elected as President and we will be stuck with him for the next 4 years if we don't like him at all? I can see thru him that he is not being honest with us. He just wants to win the White House with all of his lies.

September 11, 2012 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  9. craigles

Romney & Ryan are such amateurs. They'll never win.

September 11, 2012 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  10. enough

It is not a tap dance. It's a shake the etch-a-sketch moment.

September 11, 2012 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  11. J.V.Hodgson

R.U. listening people? Romney and Ryan are now talking not a complete repeal of PPACA, they are now talking closing loopholes for the rich on taxes to pay for some minor middle class tax breaks very careful not to talk about corporate tax rates or loopholes or tax breaks. The house is going to vote " again for " different savings to the budget act ( agreed to avoid deficit increases and giving the tax increase obama wanted) QED more spending cuts than taxes and of course avoid the Defense cuts..... talk about our way or the highway?If it were not so pathetic it would be funny.!!
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

September 11, 2012 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  12. Wow

I tought his position was on state's rights to decide on health care. which is it?

September 11, 2012 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  13. RDM3

Part of me is actually starting to feel bad for Mitt.....Oh well.....Obama in 2012!!!!

September 11, 2012 05:37 am at 5:37 am |
  14. Grahame Rhodes

The hysteria from the Tea Party is getting much louder. Both Romney and Ryan are a better joke than GW Bush

September 11, 2012 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  15. JESSE james TAKE THEM TO THE STREET AND SHOOT THEM LIKE THE DOGS THEY ARE

We know what we have and we certainly do not know what we are going to get. Like buying a cat in bag. Release the tax returns

September 11, 2012 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Mittens looks like he's having an apoplectic fit in that photo.

September 11, 2012 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  17. Al-NY,NY

after months of "repeal repeal" it's now "I'd keep some it"..........Etch a sketch

September 11, 2012 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  18. Lyin Ryan should be an Olympian

Oh dear. The pressure of the campaign is more than Willard can bear. Flip-flop flip-flop flip.....FLOP.
    No spine, no core, no principles other than hording money for himself.
    Look, the guy needs to come to grips that we all know that he's the inventor of Romneycare. We have the videos and visual proof of him standing on that oversized podium. He needs to stop trying to run away from himself. Multiple choice Mitt is back and better than ever. Pretty soon he'll try the "I'm more Democratic than Obama" angle. This guy is LOL bad.

September 11, 2012 08:51 am at 8:51 am |