No malarkey: Biden likes beer and firefighters
September 11th, 2012

No malarkey: Biden likes beer and firefighters

(CNN) – It wasn't a formal invitation, but it was an invitation nonetheless.

While attending a barbecue for firefighters in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, Tuesday, Vice President Joe Biden came across Brad Shober, the deputy fire chief, who he met at last year's ceremony commemorating the tenth anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Biden, who also hosted Shober and other Shanksville firefighters at his residence in Washington last year, told the deputy chief and other firefighters assembled he wanted them to come back to the nation's capital for a second visit.

"He's going to call you, no bullshit," Biden said, pointing to an aide.

Noticing reporters, the vice president changed his terminology.

"This is no malarkey," Biden said. "You come to the White House. I'll buy you a beer."

Biden eventually found himself at the grill, where he helped himself to a hamburger with a slice of American cheese. His $20 donation to the firefighters also covered the lunch of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, who, along with Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, traveled to Shanksville with Biden.

Earlier in the day, the vice president spoke at a remembrance ceremony near the crash site of a flight hijacked on September 11, 2001 - eleven years ago Tuesday.

"What they did for this country is still etched in the minds of not only you, but millions of Americans forever," Biden said of passengers on Flight 93 who forced the hijackers to crash the plane believed headed for a suicide attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. normajean @ verizon ,com

I'm sure the firefighters like Joe as much as he likes them....Joe is a real guy...no pretences.....says what he means and means what he says....I'd trust him any time and any where....which is more than i can say about a lot of politicians.... He's a good side kick for Obama and I'm sure they have a great relationship....His importance has been minimized due to the lack of a working relationship with the Republicans..{Thanks to Mitch McConnell} The vice president has many duties that we seldom hear of...not just to take over the presidency if needed..!I'm happy we have him!!!

September 11, 2012 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  2. Larry L

@Obama's America 2016

Only idiots would vote for Biden the Buffoon.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    I've noticed right-wingers tend to consider everybody else "idiots". Yet it was a right-wing President who started a war with no exit strategy. The same right-winger pranced across the deck of an aircraft carrier below the "Mission Accomplished" sign... when about 4000 more US Warriors were yet to die. He had eight years at the helm ending with the worst recession in 30 years. Yeah... you guys are a regular MENSA meeting...

September 11, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  3. mfhpr

Biden truly is an American at heart. He loves this country and its citizens. He loves what this country stands for and isn't afraid to speak his mind. He loves the military and supports them wholeheartedly. He is that grandfather many of us had or wished to have growing up...in my opinion.

September 11, 2012 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  4. works4me

The name fits... Joe. Thanks from the "one of us" populace of America! Keep it up through 2016!

September 11, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. DocHollywood

Whether you like him or not, everything Joe says he seems to say from the heart. If you want to know what is in this guys heart, just go google the video of him talking to the veterans and families that lost loved ones. He went off script, and was amazing. I admire that in people, the ability to speak from the heart.

September 11, 2012 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  6. Augie10

I'm married to a Firefighter and Joe Biden has good taste and is my kind of Vice President! I thought his speech was great @ the convention. Love you Joe!

September 11, 2012 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  7. Animal

$20 donation? Is that all? What a hypocrite.

September 11, 2012 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  8. J.V.Hodgson

Why all the vitriolic posts against a guy sharing time with firefighters on the anniversary of 9/11. He puts his $20 down for a burger and even that is somehow twisted into a bad thing potentially.
    with comments like that we sure have a divisive America and its nothing to do with Obama/Biden.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

September 11, 2012 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  9. Morgan Hill

I feel so proud of our country and of our great leaders. President Obama and Vice-President Joe Biden has been leading with an open heart and an open mind. They are true leaders. They've governed with love for all Americans. They have worked tiredlessly for the middle class folks, for the lower class folks, and they have even worked hard for the upper class. thank you, Barack Obama and Joe Biden for all the wonderful work you've done. You are moving the country FORWARD and we thank you for that. God Bless America, God Bless our President and our Vice-President.

September 12, 2012 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  10. Anonymous

that's great...will he ever buy a beer for, or even shake the hand of the firefighters that protect him now? yea probably not

September 12, 2012 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  11. Getoverit

@Zenger Folkman

Gotta love Joe! I'm making another donation to the Obama campaign today. My third this month already!
    ------------------------------------–
    LMFAO!!!!! Instead of wasting your money, give it to someone who needs it!

September 12, 2012 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  12. Jerry

Biden likes to lie and be hypocritical too, just like his boss. Other than for political support, of course. If firefighters fall for that farce, I guess they should have them.

September 12, 2012 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  13. Oy

I'm so tired of the Right bashing this guy and attempting to portray him as demented and not intelligent. You *wish* you (and your candidate!) had even *half* the foreign policy acumen of our VP.
    He puts his foot in his mouth, but he's also sharp as a tack.
    Oh yeah, and he's a nice guy, to boot. Sorry, guys, nobody is buying the whole "Biden is addled" garbage.

September 12, 2012 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  14. Dave o

Biden is the best VP this country has had in a long time. Hes honest sincere, and extremely competent.

September 12, 2012 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  15. Where are Mitts Tax Returns

@Zenger Folkman

----------------------------
    And I will be doing the same. It will be my second!

September 12, 2012 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  16. Fair is Fair

If intelligence was dynamite, Biden wouldn't be able to blow his nose.

BTW... I thought crazy Joe didn't drink?

September 12, 2012 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  17. Wake up People!

We love you VP Biden! Like I said before, I'm not much of a beer drinker but I will match you Margarita to Margarita anytime. Thank you and President Obama for all of your hard work. God bless you both and your families.

OBAMA / BIDEN 2012!

September 12, 2012 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  18. mario

you have to love Joe very likeable citizen and a good human being

September 12, 2012 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  19. Rudy NYC

Go, Joe!

September 12, 2012 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  20. markfromdover

Joe is the real deal.

September 12, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  21. Sorensen

We should all be proud of having Joe Biden as VP. He knows more about the world than anybody, he is by far the
    smartest strategic thinker (Afghanistan!!) and he is an honest and real person.

September 12, 2012 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  22. TheTraveler

Vote Democrat (because beer and BBQ beats Republican sour grapes anytime)

September 12, 2012 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  23. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Where are Mitts Tax Returns

@Zenger Folkman

----------
    And I will be doing the same. It will be my second!
    -------------------------------------------------
    I'mright there with you guys, and manning phone banks on Wednesdays.
    I support our President in word and deed.
    Obama 2012.

September 12, 2012 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. Larry L

@hangar13

You left out the part about the VP saying 9/11 brought back bittersweet memories. Still trying to figure out the sweet part of 9/11, at least for Americans. A heartbeat away, unbelievable. At least with the President we know we're getting an incompetent socialist, Biden is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    I type slowly to explain... "Bittersweet" means bitter memories of the cowardly attack and sweet memories of those lost. He explained how the memories of his lost family renewed the pain yet brought back memories of their lives together. These concepts may be too complex for you. It is not described on Fox News and therefore you don't have a sound-bite to help you understand.

I see you're following Bill O'Reily's suggestion to use the "socialist" term when describing the President. Since this started in relation to two of his political positions others supporting these beliefs must be "socialists" as well. The President believes in a progressive tax rate where the wealthy pay a higher percentage. Ronald Reagan shared this belief and must certainly be a "socialist". The other "socialist" position commonly discussed in right-wing media is the mandatory health care insurance requirement of the AHC law. Since this is modeled after Mitt Romney's plan – Romney must indeed be a closet "socialist". The last would be the Medicare and Social Security programs Romney and Ryan plan to kill. I suppose their willingness to kill these plans is anti-socialist – but all of the people who support them must be "socialists". By the neo-con definition all senior citizens are "socialists". Hmmm...

September 12, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  25. Joan in MS

Barack Obama and Joe Biden are true American heroes!! Go Obama/Biden!

September 12, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |