On campaign trail, Romney ratchets ups God rhetoric
September 14th, 2012

On campaign trail, Romney ratchets ups God rhetoric

Washington (CNN) - At campaign events these days, Mitt Romney often says that if he is elected president, he will emphasize the role of God in American society and will not “take God out of the public square.”

That kind of rhetoric is a departure from earlier less God-focused versions of the Republican candidate’s stump speech and his early apprehension with discussing his Mormon faith.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Religion
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

“When (Republicans) get nervous about a loss, they go into base-whip-up stage,” Berlinerblau said. “They try to energize the base even more.”

Yeah. Kind of figured that out this past weekend when he had Pat Robertson by his side. No doubt Pat's real happy with Mitt these past couple of days.

September 14, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. Four romney

He will whatever someone wants , any color, any size

September 14, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Who is this person who calls himself Mitt Romney other than the husband of Ann.

September 14, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  4. GI Joe

He's a false prophet that belongs to a cult that wants to control the world.

He!! NO.

Obama/Biden -- 24 days to early voting in some states.

September 14, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. GI Joe

His desperation is rather funny.

September 14, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  6. Woman In California

Which god are you referring to Willard? The Mormon god?

The God I serve doesn't regard me as less of a person than you are, neither does he teach me to worship money and love only money, so please take your lies and false prophet back to your cult and keep it OUT of the White House.
    Thank you.

September 14, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. ngo

I so funny. Romney is throwing anything that will Stick at Obama. Just release the tax returns period

September 14, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  8. OneLazyBird

I can understand Mitt's reluctant discussion regarding his Mormon faith. It would probably cinch Obama's re-election. Once tied to the Mormon organization, always tied to it. Their offices in Salt Lake City would be running the whole US instead of just Utah.
    Just my opinion based on personal experience.

September 14, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Rethugs are holding up the Bible in one hand and calling Americans thugs on the other hand. I'd say they have become dangerously desperate and will say and do anything if it means turning on Americans.

September 14, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. kayla

twitt, the more people see you and hear you, the less they like you.

September 14, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. Pete

Romney calling Pres.Obama a liar,Wolf and the rest of the CNN crew were appalled.Ryan saying he can vouch for Romneys character,is he nuts he's only known him for a couple of months ,they're still going steady aren't they??And your Ryans so sure of the presidencial election he's campaigning in Wisconsin for another congressional term,that's showing confidence in your future ain't it!!Looks like the rats are abandoning ship,Romneys going liar liar pants on fire and he's losing the ratings at the polls.People were worried about Romney having more money for campaigns than Pres.Obama,but its Pres.Obama watching Romney publicly hang himself,he gave him the rope,its just a matter of time after the debates and Romney will be history,just watch he's getting desperate isn't he!!Remember I'll quit telling truths about you Republicans if you Republicans quit telling lies about us Democrates,truth hurts ha!!!

September 14, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. OneLazyBird

I so agree with 'woman from California'!!!! Seems she has had some personal experience as well.

September 14, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. v4865

Why is he TALKING ABOUT GOD!IM SURE
    HE HAS NO IDEA WHO GOD IS.....HE BETTER BE CAREFUL, JOSEPH SMITH MIGHT
    SMACK HIM STRAIGHT TO HELL
    WHERE HE BELONGS..

September 14, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. GI Joe

They preach their right-wing republican lies of hypocricy while we mourn those lost because of a religious nut-job.

September 14, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  15. Gina Ross

I have heard that unless a woman is married AND escorted by her husband, she is not allowed into the Mormon temple. Is this really the direction we want our country to go?

September 14, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  16. A Kickin` Donkey

Oh Mitt, those evangelicals don`t believe you or trust you.

September 14, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  17. cali girl

From Another thread
    Chris Said :Ya i'm sure you would have sold your stocks that would potentially boom over years that's called an investment you hope goes up over time. No reply on my claims about your boy bo or bs whatever his real name is or mitt giving more to charity percentage and total easily. Your obviously a liberal. I'm from cal too few pay real attention here I notice. Just answer this why has obama never helped his brother but will help you?

I guess you only listen to Fox News and Rush Limbaugh who are carrying a story from some person who said they got a call from Goerge who needed money for his hospitalized son.
    Since Fox and Limbaugh are the only ones "running" this news worthy story, then I just answered my question.
    Guess again, Chris, I am not a liberal. But you assume things that YOU are not paying attention to. The information on Robmeys stock options that they lived off when they were 19 came right out of Ann's own mouth.

September 14, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  18. Joan in MS

R&R campaign = Totally pathetic. Totally delusional. And, totally desperate.

September 14, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  19. Wake up People!

I'm sorry to have to say this, but this is the American way. Take the slave owners. They all claimed to be good law abiding Christians. But that didn't stop them from enslaving people, beating them especially the men, raping the women and buying and selling fellow human beings.... Then working them like cattle for NO PAY AT ALL.

Now on to Willard, the tax evading liar......would he be talking about God or the mormon god??

Has anyone seen September Dawn??? Good movie, rent it. All about the lovely mormons and their ways.

September 14, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  20. Larry L

By "God" he means the Mormon definition of God. If Evangelicals actually studied the Mormon faith they'd run fast away from the Romney campaign. President Obama is a devout Christian and you can see his beliefs in action. Read the Beatitudes and see which candidate best reflects the teachings of Jesus Christ. See who is "blessed"...

September 14, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

Is he revealing the details of his economic plans? God?

September 14, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. Joan in MS

Is he at Liberty University again?!? Jerry Falwell would be so proud of him ...

September 14, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. The Situation

This is too much. This wind bag is such an idiot, I even find Palin less annoying than Romney. He's got to be the worst GOP Presidential Candidate I have ever seen. All this fool does is lie and and lie more. Obama never discussed about taken the word GOD out of everything. Keep paling around with bigots like Pat Robertson and all those other frauds.

Mark my words Mitts, will be another footnote in history. Obama is going to school you in the debates. I guess your wife will run to your aid since you are like the Tin Man and the Lion from the Wizard of Oz, "NO HEART AND NO COURAGE". Keep lying! Every day you and your yes man will run your chances of winning further into the dirty!

September 14, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  24. Sniffit

"“I will not take God out of my heart, I will not take God out of the public square, and I will not take it out of the platform of my party,”'

Apparently, he refuses to take his head out of his ass or his feet out of his mouth as well.

September 14, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. truth hurts

Did the crowd boo God like they did at the Democrat National Convention?

September 14, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |