September 14th, 2012

Romneys let it Ripa

Newark, New Jersey (CNN) – Mitt Romney got his version of the "boxers or briefs" question Friday – and his answer may surprise those who mock his uptight demeanor.

During a taping of ABC's "Live! With Kelly and Michael," hosted by Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan, Romney was asked what he wears to bed at night.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I hear the best answer is 'little as possible,'" he joked, according to pool reports but then did not elaborate.

The GOP presidential candidate, who took a quick break from the last several days' focus on foreign policy to tape the light-hearted interview, also sounded off on a favorite reality TV star.

"I'm kind of a Snooki fan. Look how tiny she's gotten. She's lost weight. She's energetic. Just her spark-plug personality is kind of fun," said Romney – who is in the past has been more likely to quote the 1990s-era comedy show "Seinfeld" than "Jersey Shore."

(Romney may not be following Snooki's exploits too closely – the reality star did famously trim down, but more recently she gave birth to her first child.)

Romney was joined on the show taping by his wife, Ann, who has said she wants more voters to know about her husband's sense of humor and reputation as a prankster. The two spoke playfully about Romney's pet peeve about his wife: the way she squeezes her toothpaste out of the tube.

"She doesn't go from the bottom and work up and she leaves the top off," Romney said, adding: "My life is trying to impress Ann so I make very little out of the fact that she squeezes the toothpaste from the middle."

Mrs. Romney shared with the hosts her most embarrassing moment, when during a visit to the White House she walked in on President George W. Bush having a massage.

"He was covered up but I was so embarrassed that the next time I did see him I didn't know what I was going to say to him," she recounted. "I walked up to the elevator and am just like blushing, blushing, blushing and he looks at me and he winks as he does and says, 'I look pretty good, don't I.'"

The show is set to air next week.

Romney has long trailed President Obama in "likeability" polls and has made fewer appearances on daytime talk shows than his opponent. But his campaign has worked to reveal a more personal side of the candidate as the general election season heats up, with both Romneys stepping up their outreach to female voters.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. voter in ct

Does anyone know why Romney didn't serve in Vietnam? He's the right age.

September 14, 2012 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  2. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

The Romneys don't know how the rest of us live. What middle class person can afford a horse for therapy or a car elevator?

September 14, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. kimberly

He didnt serve in Vietnam because his daddy had him shipped to FRANCE to do mission work, so he dodged the draft! He is a snake!!! BUT on topic of this article, did anyone take away anything from this except a creepy visual of bush jr laying on a massage table with a towel coverin his bum, and WINK WINK "I look good dont i?" GAG!!!! here comes my breakfast...BLAH!

September 14, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  4. Sniffit

Why focus on this interview instead of the interview this morning with Stephanopoulos in which Mittens SAID THE EXACT SAME THING AS THE EGYPT EMBASSY SAID THAT HE CRITICIZED? The only difference: when the embassy said it, the attacks hadn't actually happened yet, so Mittens was lying when he said that it was the first response Obama had to the attacks. Now, however, the attacks have happened, and yet Mittens has essentially said the same thing the embassy said. This is what is called HYPOCRISY and CHUTZPAH. Here, compare the two:

Embassy (before attacks): "The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims — as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."

Mittens (after attacks...both the protestors and his own): "Well, I haven’t seen the film. I don’t intend to see it. I you know, I think it’s dispiriting sometimes to see some of the awful things people say. And the idea of using something that some people consider sacred and then parading that out a negative way is simply inappropriate and wrong. And I wish people wouldn’t do it. Of course, we have a First Amendment. And under the First Amendment, people are allowed to do what they feel they want to do. They have the right to do that, but it’s not right to do things that are of the nature of what was done by, apparently this film. "

September 14, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  5. HOLY TIGHTY WHITIES WILLARD

His likeability is down because he's phony and out of touch. Who said it was a bright idea for him to say "Ya'll," or to insult someones homemade cookies. The guy can't even campaign and have a beer with you. Not my type of guy!

September 14, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Chelopez54

Did I see a therapist for a horse? Maybe his dog needs one too! After this election send Mitt to one too, Teach him he just can not run for any office any more! MITT DON"T FIT!

September 14, 2012 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  7. sassysticks53

I hope their viewers can stay awake! Boy, are they boring.

September 14, 2012 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

------------------–
    I wonder if he knows that she had become pregnant and recently gave birth. Snookie hasn't been tiny since she was in diapers herself. She looks like a little baby hog.

September 14, 2012 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  9. Fair is Fair

"Who said it was a bright idea for him to say "Ya'll,"
    ----–
    At least he didn't say he was going to put "y'all back in chains".

September 14, 2012 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  10. chilly g

mitt has about five sons and neither he are any of his sons serve in the military, i know its not a requirement
    but just saying.

September 14, 2012 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  11. NC

Well my day is ruined, Romney wearing as little as possible in bed YUK. The Romney's just don't represent mainstream America. The more foolish interviews they give the more we know they are as phony as a $3.00 dollar bill. Just be your usual uppity selves Mitt and Ann we are much smarter than you are. We are not buying a pig in a polk.

September 14, 2012 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  12. cali girl

Rudy, I wonder too if Robmey is aware that Snookie has been pregnant and looks that way.
    As for what Robmey wears I thought it was "magic" underwear.

September 14, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  13. The Unsub

I'm gonna have me some cheesy grits!

September 14, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  14. Mark in Seattle

Both Mitt and the Mrs are unworthy of taking up residence in America's white house.

September 14, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  15. GI Joe

Vote for Romney so your kids don't have to pay the debt.

THEY'LL DIE IN IRAN FOR BIBI NOTHING-BUT-A-YAHOO, ROMNEY'S BEST FRIEND.

September 14, 2012 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. truth hurts

>kimberly - He didnt serve in Vietnam because his daddy had him shipped to FRANCE to do mission work,

Bill Clinton didn't serve because he went to England. Is he a snake too???

September 14, 2012 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  17. Jerry

HOLY TIGHTY WHITIES WILLARD
    His likeability is down because he's phony and out of touch.
    ********************
    And, I suppose the Obamboozler is your kind of guy. Oh well... To each his/her own. Keep "Bending Forward." Just don't neglect to apply gobs of Vaseline. And, of course, ENJOY IT!!!

September 14, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  18. Indy

"I'm kind of a Snookie fan. Look how tiny she's gotten. She's lost weight. She's energetic. Just her spark-plug personality is kind of fun," said Romney – who is in the past has been more likely to quote the 1990s-era comedy show "Seinfeld" than "Jersey Shore."

The Romneys are just to phoney and get caught everytime they pretend that they are normal,they just lie all the time to try and fit in and it just so easy to tell that they are lying

September 14, 2012 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair – wrote:

"Who said it was a bright idea for him to say "Ya'll,"

At least he didn't say he was going to put "y'all back in chains".
    --------------------------
    No, but his used the "proper" tense, "You all are not getting any more returns." You know that Romney would be most unwise to release returns a couple of weeks prior to the elections, and he'll try to weasel out releasing more. Ann's already told us as much.

September 14, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  20. The Unsub

I've got president Obama's back!

September 14, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  21. Jon

He wears the magical underwear, duh

September 14, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. GI Joe

24 DAYS TO EARLY VOTING IN SOME STATES.

Obama/Biden 2012

September 14, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. lou

Didn't Obama ask, 'what's a snookie?' when asked about the show last year? Seems like a weird coincidence.

September 14, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

No, but his WIFE used the "proper" tense, "You all are not getting any more returns." You know that Romney would be most unwise to release returns a couple of weeks prior to the elections, and he'll try to weasel out releasing more. Ann's already told us as much.

September 14, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. cali girl

Sniffit I am right there with you. Robmey must be in some state of panic. When he released his statement it was at that exact time the Embassy was under attack and the attack continues. Then he slams President Obama, " It’s disgraceful that the Obama administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks." which Obama did not do.
    Then Robmey says, "I made the statement- my point at the same time, I think, the White House did. So I think we said about the same thing there. I just thought the statement was wrong.
    Kinda hard to wonder why this guy is floundering. It took 24 hours before ANY GOP backed Robmey on his statements all the while Robmey is trying to distance himself from what he said.

September 14, 2012 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |