Christine O'Donnell considering another Senate bid
September 16th, 2012

Christine O'Donnell considering another Senate bid

(CNN) – Christine O'Donnell, the tea party favorite whose unsuccessful bid for the U.S. Senate in 2010 was punctuated by a television ad proclaiming "I am not a witch," says she's considering another run to represent Delaware in 2014.

"I think I owe that to my supporters, to at least consider a run," O'Donnell told Delaware Online. "People sacrificed. Not only came out of their comfort zone – sacrificed to work hard in order to win the primary. And I think that I owe it to them to give it every consideration."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

In 2010, O'Donnell won Delaware's GOP primary contest against nine-term Rep. Mike Castle, who enjoyed backing from the national Republican establishment. She went on to lose by a large margin to the Democratic candidate, now-Sen. Chris Coons.

During the campaign, an interview emerged in which O'Donnell told talk show host Bill Maher that she had "dabbled in witchcraft" during college. Her campaign later produced a television ad in which she proclaimed, "I'm not a witch. I'm nothing you've heard. I'm you."

More recently, O'Donnell backed Mitt Romney early in the GOP presidential primary season, writing in December that she hoped her endorsement would "cause others to give him a second look."

Romney welcomed the endorsement, writing that O'Donnell "recognizes that excessive government threatens us now and threatens future generations."

If O'Donnell does jump into the 2014 Senate race and wins the GOP nomination, she will again face Coons, who will be up for re-election in two years after finishing out the length of Joe Biden's term. Biden was re-elected to the U.S. Senate in 2008, but gave up his seat to serve as vice president beginning in 2009.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. works4me

A witch? Yea... she is.

September 16, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  2. tiki123

Have to wonder who her supporters are.

September 16, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  3. jake

the witch, the witch, the witch is back..stone cold sober it's a matter of fact...im a witch, im a witch and im better than you..anything that you do, im better than you oo oo oo...

September 16, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  4. keithet

She's got to be kidding.

September 16, 2012 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. CaliforniaBC

""I think I owe that to my supporters, to at least consider a run," "

Oh Christine, I think those 5 people will get over it.

September 16, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  6. MC

She is not me, I'm smart enough to cross the street on my own, unlike witchy poo...I also understand simple concepts that a growing country needs a growing govt.

September 16, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  7. Floyd from Illinois

The best thing she could do for America is to again become the Republican candidate for elected office.

You go(p), girl!

September 16, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. Realistically speaking

the question is not "do her supporters want her to run" but, does the GOP want to risk running a nutjob who has no chance of winning!

September 16, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. Randy, San Francisco

Hard to believe Tea Party voters in Delaware would give this Palin clone another chance.

September 16, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  10. bill

The GOP are infamous for having fools like this associated with their party (i.e. Akin, Palin, Perry, Dubya, Texas Hammer Delay, Limbaugh, Beck, Mitt, Ryan, etc., etc). This moron Odonnel fits right in to the GOP persona and I bet there are plenty of tea party neo-radicals that will elect her

September 16, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  11. jmig320

The "I'm not a witch" ad looked like it was straight out of Saturday Night Live. What's in store for the encore? Might I humbly suggest "I'm not a martian/android/sea otter."

September 16, 2012 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  12. Blinded by the republican lies

Oh lord....Here we go again.....These delusional people think we forget what they are about...When she loses again, hopefully she will finally go into obscurity.

September 16, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  13. us_1776

And people thought Sarah Palin was a dingbat.

This lady is just plain crazy.

The GOP just cannot stoop any lower.

September 16, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  14. Debbie

Romney endorses the "I'm not a witch" and "I'm just like you"??? Talk about out of touch.

September 16, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. dan

Of course she will. She's a professional political candidate. She was investigated last time for paying her bills with campaign money. She must be running low on money and attention again.

September 16, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. CBR

Ms. O'Donnell should consider other tasks which do not require her to be elected. There are many jobs to do and asking people to support another run for public office will probably not produce different results. Her supporters should give her suggestions.

September 16, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  17. Nuance

So the former "Hogworts" student is considering yet another bid...hilarious.

September 16, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  18. Tony

Santorum said that smart people will never be on their side. You want to know why? Look at the kind of candidates they are running.

September 16, 2012 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  19. TAK

She's more qualified to be a witch than a senator. Unless you're a Tea Partier of course, then there is no difference.

September 16, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  20. John

Oh please, do it! The Democrats could use an easy mark, and we could all use a laugh.

September 16, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  21. Woman In California

Seriously speaking, there are people in this country so hell bent of destroying the president and going to yet another senseless war (which we can't afford), she just might have a chance. I'm seriously starting to check out other countries, in case these unAmericans take power.

September 16, 2012 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. topperale

An endorsement from Christine O'Donnell is reason enough to NOT vote for Romney.

September 16, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  23. Ken Dahindenmontanagolfer

Christine O'DONNELL has often showed her ignorance of the Constitution; where is religious freedom guaranteed?why would she want to embarrase herself again with such limited grade school knowledge of the Constitition?

September 16, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  24. pn

Democrat strategists must be delighted!

September 16, 2012 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  25. McCain Should Retire

I think she owes it to Democrats and decent human beings everywhere to run so as to prevent any electable candidate from having a chance from the republican side.

September 16, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |