Biden: 'I'm a good vice president'
September 17th, 2012

Biden: 'I'm a good vice president'

Muscatine, Iowa (CNN) - At a brief stop in Iowa on Monday, Vice President Joe Biden jokingly graded his own political success this way: he failed as a presidential candidate but has succeeded as vice president.

Biden's comments came during a stop at a farmer's market and restaurant in Muscatine, Iowa, ahead of an afternoon campaign rally.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As the vice president ate a bowl of soup, with a slice of coconut cream pie standing by, he told a group of four elderly women seated with him: "There's only a few people, including Iowans, who've been in all 99 counties. I'm one of them. All you got to do is run for president, you'll be in all 99 counties."

Biden continued: "You know what, on the way on the plane - show you how effective I am - my political guy said, 'I went back and got your schedule for just the last time around.' When I was trying to get the nomination I spent 120 days in Iowa. You saw how effective I am. I mean."

"But I'm a good vice president," Biden added with a laugh.

The vice president also managed to take a mild swipe at the man who would like his job.

As Biden ate his soup, he said: "I'd like you to know that you can let the congressman [know] I'm eating Wisconsin cheese soup" - a clear reference to Mitt Romney's running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.

Biden added: "That's what I was told. They said Wisconsin cheese. It's good."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Joe Biden
  1. Thomas

Yes and a good Father !

September 17, 2012 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  2. Gurgyl

Yes, you are. We love you, joe.

September 17, 2012 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  3. Dan B

That's a good one.

September 17, 2012 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Yes, Mr. Vice President you are a good vp. You might have your moments we all do but you have a good heart and are a great father and husband.

September 17, 2012 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  5. frank

"I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!" said by Fredo Corelone, but would it be that hard to imagine it coming out of Xerox Joe's mouth either...?

September 17, 2012 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Damn straight Joe. Kick some sorry republican butt.

September 17, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. judy

Joe you are a good vp. And compaired to the little lier eddie munster you could be conscidered a great vp. You always have the average guy in mind and arent trying to screw seniors out of medicare. Forward 2012

September 17, 2012 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  8. PJ

"But I'm a good Vice President"
    *****
    Yes you are Joe Biden, and a good husband, father, American and just an all around good guy. You are also
    smart, as many will learn during your debate with Ryan. I would love to have a bowl of soup with you and
    your wife.

September 17, 2012 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Joe Biden isn't just a good VP, he's a great one because he cares about people, I can't say that about Romney/Ryan.

September 17, 2012 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  10. fire0bama

Joe Biden = shameless clown

September 17, 2012 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  11. T'sah From Virginia

Yes you are Vice President Biden – And you deserve a second term!!

Obama/Biden 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!

September 17, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  12. "Oust the House", vote a straight Dem ticket in 2012!

Yes, you are, Uncle Joe!

September 17, 2012 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  13. uncdig

HaHaHa. Here's O's trusty side kick practicing his post nov occupation – side kid to talk show host Barack Hussien Obama. Keep the jokes rolling

September 17, 2012 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  14. BuddysMama

Joe Biden – you are a GREAT Vice-President! And a heck of a good guy, as well! Obama/Biden 2012.

September 17, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  15. Lori says we Americans will not elect a President from the party that got us into this economic mess! We don't have short term memories!

Yes, you are! You're a heck of a lot better than the last guy!!!

Obama/Biden 2012!!!!

September 17, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  16. Chelopez54

I think you are too, Obama/Biden is my vote! I am even doing some work with the campaign. Very Ecited!
    GO GET 'EM JOE!

September 17, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  17. Truthseeker

You are good, VP Biden, very good. We love you, and thank you for your wonderful speech at the convention!

Obama/Biden 2012

September 17, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  18. Just a thought

You are a winner on the winning Team VP Joe. Certainly better by a long shot than your predecessor. Ok...in 3,2,1 we get to hear from "Fox and Fools"....truth, myview" are ya ready with the idiot insults?

September 17, 2012 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  19. Chelopez54

think you are too, Obama/Biden is my vote! I am even doing some work with the campaign. Very Excited!
    GO GET 'EM JOE!

September 17, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  20. Bill

Mr. Vice President, you did a very good job. And you would have been a fine president - or perhaps will be one.

September 17, 2012 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  21. Woman In California

I don't agree with everything Joe says. In fact, I find him offensive sometimes, but if I had to grade him, I would give him a B+. I think he has been one of the BEST vice-presidents in my lifetime. Extremely loyal and there are few people who care and love this country more than he does.

Go Joe!

September 17, 2012 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  22. 200 TON HAMMER

In the wise words of vice president joe biden you can fact check me lol Obama/Biden 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

September 18, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  23. Kenney

Hello out there lets bring all the regulars to this blog!!!

September 18, 2012 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  24. tcaros

Biden is along for the ride.

September 18, 2012 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  25. Lamps

I disagree. he is the worst VP in history. I am ready to vote Obama and Biden out of office.

September 18, 2012 05:47 am at 5:47 am |