Excerpts: Romney vows to 'permanently fix our immigration system'
September 17th, 2012

Excerpts: Romney vows to 'permanently fix our immigration system'

(CNN) - GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney is scheduled to address the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Monday in Los Angeles. Below are excepts of his speech released by his campaign.

"During the course of this campaign I have traveled across our country. I have seen people who have fallen into poverty, people who are living paycheck to paycheck, people who are tired of being tired.

Over 23 million Americans are out of work, underemployed, or have just quit looking for a job. The number of people on food stamps has risen by almost 15 million since President Obama took office.

Median household income has fallen for four years in a row.

Seeing such a poor jobs and income picture, the Federal Reserve has announced that it will once again print more money. The Fed knows this comes with a high cost and risk for the future, but it feels it has no choice: Our leaders in Washington have failed to produce a real recovery.

No one is exempt from the pain of this economy, but the Hispanic community has been particularly hard hit. While national unemployment is 8.1 percent, Hispanic unemployment is over 10 percent. Over two million more Hispanics are living in poverty today than the day President Obama took office.

In 2008, candidate Obama promised us a world of limitless hope. What we got instead is a world where hope has painful limits - limits that make it harder to start a business, to grow a business, or to find a job."

***

"I expected the President, at his convention, to talk about the unemployed and to unveil a jobs plan. Astonishingly, he did not. I have a plan, and my plan for a stronger middle class will create 12 million jobs by the end of my first term. And it will raise take home pay.

My plan is premised on the conviction that it is freedom that drives our economy–that free people, creating free enterprises, is what creates good jobs with good wages. Government supports the job creators, but it cannot take their place."

...

"[W]e must cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget. I believe that it is immoral for us to continue to spend more than we take in, to pass massive debts on to our children.

I'd like to spend some time talking about this issue in particular. As businessmen and women, and as Hispanics, you understand the threat President Obama's spending poses for our future. Many Hispanics have sacrificed greatly to help build our country and our economy, and to leave for their children a brighter future. Today, those sacrifices are being squandered by a President who cannot stop spending.

I know how to balance budgets. We balanced our budget in my business, in the Olympics, and every year in my state.

I will put the federal government on a track to a balanced budget by eliminating programs that are not absolutely essential. My test is this–is the program so critical that it is worth borrowing money from China to pay for it?

In addition, I will send a number of programs that have been growing uncontrollably fast back to the states where I will limit their funding to the rate of inflation, or in the case of Medicaid, to inflation plus one percent.

And finally, I will look to sharply increase the productivity of Washington by reducing federal government employment by 10% through attrition, by combining agencies and departments to reduce overhead, and by linking government compensation with that of the private sector. These things combined will reduce spending by $500 billion a year by the end of my first term."

***

"I know small business, not because I studied it in school, but because I lived small business. And I know that small businesses are being crushed by President Obama’s policies. Too often, government regulators treat businesses like the enemy, and they crush them with an avalanche of regulations."

...

"This is at the heart of the difference between President Obama and my vision for the American economy: he wants government to tax more and regulate more because he believes government can do a better job than you can. I believe in you. I believe you can do a better job than government. I believe that you, and that your dreams and freedoms, will build a stronger future for all of us, and for our children. This belief in free people and free enterprises is the American heritage. This is why America has outperformed the world."

***

"Finally, I want to say a word about immigration. Americans may disagree about how to fix our immigration system, but I think we can all agree that it is broken.

For years, Republicans and Democrats seem to have been more interested in playing politics with immigration than with actually fixing it. Candidate Obama said that one of his highest priorities would be to fix immigration in his first year in office. Despite his party having majorities in both house of Congress, the President never even offered up a bill. Like so many issues confronting our nation, when it comes to immigration, politics has been put ahead of people for too long.

I will work with Republicans and Democrats to permanently fix our immigration system.

We will never achieve a legal immigration system that is fair and efficient if we do not first get control of our borders. I believe we can all agree that what we need are fair and enforceable immigration laws that will stem the flow of illegal immigration, while strengthening legal immigration."

...

"America is a nation of immigrants, and immigration is essential to our economic growth and prosperity."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. Mary

Romney vows to fix everything, the economy, unemployment, health care and immigration. Next, he will announce he will find cure for cancer also. LOL.

September 17, 2012 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  2. Mary72

What else is he going to fix? How about the lobbyists?

September 17, 2012 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  3. Robyn

It's about time Mitt is finally getting more specific. He should have done this weeks ago. He's lost precious time.

September 17, 2012 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  4. Hispanic dude

from these excerpts, I see nothing nothing different from Romney to Latinos. Just more of the same. This seems more like a publicity stunt than a serious outreach. The audience is the group of richer latinos at the chanber of commerce, a more friendly audience. the "ideas" are the same extreme right wing that harm latinos the most: tax cuts for the rich and elimination of social programs that latinos need more then the general population to pay for those tax cuts. balance budget at the expense of the poor and middle class. same trickle down economics. no mention of dreamers, same extreme immigration policy of "securing the border" while leaving millions in the shadows. no details. in summary more of the same. this is a loser from the start.

September 17, 2012 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  5. Phi Thomas

How about you start by fixing your campaign, although your aproach to being president is the same as how you started your wealth. Ask your daddy for some money in this instance your running to super packs, the only reason why this guy is in this race. 2 to 1 spending advantage and Obama is still spanking you lol

September 17, 2012 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  6. mo

Once again Mitt is being vague

September 17, 2012 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  7. J.V.Hodgson

HI CNN the headline does not reflect the major part of the content which was Jobs the economy and business growth de-regualtion ( taxation notably omitted) as his ideas do no good for the unemployed Hispanics.
    All of which we have heard many times. (And I like the freudian slip of "excepts" used of his speech in the intro!! Allows him to flip flop again courtesy of CNN!!
    Then he misstates to be polite ( lies less polite) Obama did nothing for Immigration? Err what about the dream act , the much objected to recent executive order re children of immigrants. Obama administration has spent billions on border security. By the way a prerequisite to the last Republican congress members as a whole to passing any immigration laws. Add to that this administration has deported more illegal immigrants than any previous administration. The message is clear if you are illegal you get deported... this is big deterrent and illegal entry is reducing.
    Romney is losing on every area except debt.
    He has big problems no wonder he trying to target a lost cause for votes.
    Regards,
    hodgson.

September 17, 2012 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  8. georgethegreat28

Why doesn't mittens also tell about all the jobs his company sent to china and also tell the hispanic people about the great immigration programs the repubs r running in arizona and the other bills they are tryin to pass in other repub states I heard there treating latinios really nice down in arizona mittens is gonna make crazy joe arpaio his defense secretary "HEY JOE LET ME SEE UR PAPERS"

September 17, 2012 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  9. james wallace

Memo to Hispanics: You know he's a wind-sock and doubles down on mistakes (Cairo) and lies (Welfare, Health) and dodges specifics, so healthy doubt about his sincerity is called for.

September 17, 2012 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  10. damo12345

"I'll do _____ if you elect me! Don't ask me how I'll do it. I'll also do ______, unlike Obama! Don't ask me how I'll do it."

September 17, 2012 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  11. traffikator

DO not boo1 Do not shout! Do not say "you are lying". Do not even say flip, flop or flip-flopper. Only one word in the form of a question: How?
    Ask him to state specifically how he will achieve same, that no other President have been able to accomplish? Very simple.

September 17, 2012 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  12. TSki

Romney has already stated his plans for immigration reform:

1) Arizona is a model for the country
    2) Self-deportation

No mention of these positions now that we're in the general election. We know what those positions mean, don't we? Make life as miserable as possible for anyone who might look like an immigrant that he or she will decide to "self-deport" back to their former homeland.

No thanks.

September 17, 2012 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  13. Lyin' Ryan

No self-deportation anymore?

September 17, 2012 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  14. Keep us all on our heels...

"I know how to keep you people in your place. You will always be the ones we count on to work for cheap wages... like keeping care of my lawns. It is important that we have hard workers like yourselves to help us with means to prosper." Mitt Witt has proven in all of his small business dealings that he can cut wages to make owners more profitable. Any claim that with him being president he will make you more properous is pure bull.

September 17, 2012 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  15. Peter

hahhaha. I can't stop laughing. Fix immigration by allowing hispanic to self deport. Any hispanic who falls for that boloney need to have their heads examined. I can smell dieperation Mitt.

September 17, 2012 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  16. fekt

Mitt Romney has also stated if elected he would cure cancer in his first three months in office. Details of the miracle drug he's going to develop are not yet available.

September 17, 2012 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  17. tashakostolany

Mitt hides his Immigration Plan;
    Mitt hides his taxes;
    Mitt hides his for foreign policy;
    Mitt hides his Governor's Record;
    Mitt hides his money;
    Mitt hides the tax loopholes he is going to close;
    Mitt hides his religion;
    Mitt hides his Swiss bank accounts;
    Mitt hides his Core Values;
    Mitt hides his empathy for the very poor ( as middle class is 200,000 to 250,000)
    Mitt hides his Bain Capital record
    Mitt hides his neurological condition

September 17, 2012 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  18. NotFooledByDistractions

At this point, romney's "vows" aren't worth spit.

September 17, 2012 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  19. John Hix

Desperate promises from a declining politician. The writing is on the wall that the GOP is throwing everything at the wall to hope something will stick with the voters.

September 17, 2012 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  20. A Sane Person

Why were there only a few token Hispanics at the GOP convention, and a sea of them at the DNC convention? I 'll tell you why... because everyone knows who is for Hispanics....

Romney coming off a bad week at the polls has just realized that using his previous calculus... he is going to lose. Now he has to shake the etcha sketch one more time, and pander to a group that he previously insulted (Does anybody remember him saying that 11 Million Hispanics should self deport?)

That is the REAL deal.... Just watch... Promises of (great and wonderful things in the future) with no specifics or details now........ JUST like the others...

The only thing he IS consistent on, is helping Rich people....

September 17, 2012 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  21. John Hix

After reading this for the third time, I still do not see the "how" candidate Romney, who has the impudence to address the President as "candidate", There is no substance in the article as to how he intends to fix the immigration problem other than what the GOP has said for years ie. control the border. What a waste and what an empty suit.

September 17, 2012 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  22. Harry From Pa

Romney it's a little too late, SNL skit was right, you are your own worst enemy.

September 17, 2012 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  23. Fareed

Since nothing is automatic and forever, Willard is going to perform a miracle. I'll believe it after I see 10 years of candidate Taxes from Etch A Sketch.

September 17, 2012 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  24. Dee

Romney has no credibility he changes like the weather I guess this is what you call a flip-flopper/

September 17, 2012 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  25. Anonymous

empty words, you promised to kill the dream acts,

September 17, 2012 01:37 am at 1:37 am |