Excerpts: Romney vows to 'permanently fix our immigration system'
September 17th, 2012

Excerpts: Romney vows to 'permanently fix our immigration system'

(CNN) - GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney is scheduled to address the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Monday in Los Angeles. Below are excepts of his speech released by his campaign.

"During the course of this campaign I have traveled across our country. I have seen people who have fallen into poverty, people who are living paycheck to paycheck, people who are tired of being tired.

Over 23 million Americans are out of work, underemployed, or have just quit looking for a job. The number of people on food stamps has risen by almost 15 million since President Obama took office.

Median household income has fallen for four years in a row.

Seeing such a poor jobs and income picture, the Federal Reserve has announced that it will once again print more money. The Fed knows this comes with a high cost and risk for the future, but it feels it has no choice: Our leaders in Washington have failed to produce a real recovery.

No one is exempt from the pain of this economy, but the Hispanic community has been particularly hard hit. While national unemployment is 8.1 percent, Hispanic unemployment is over 10 percent. Over two million more Hispanics are living in poverty today than the day President Obama took office.

In 2008, candidate Obama promised us a world of limitless hope. What we got instead is a world where hope has painful limits - limits that make it harder to start a business, to grow a business, or to find a job."

***

"I expected the President, at his convention, to talk about the unemployed and to unveil a jobs plan. Astonishingly, he did not. I have a plan, and my plan for a stronger middle class will create 12 million jobs by the end of my first term. And it will raise take home pay.

My plan is premised on the conviction that it is freedom that drives our economy–that free people, creating free enterprises, is what creates good jobs with good wages. Government supports the job creators, but it cannot take their place."

...

"[W]e must cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget. I believe that it is immoral for us to continue to spend more than we take in, to pass massive debts on to our children.

I'd like to spend some time talking about this issue in particular. As businessmen and women, and as Hispanics, you understand the threat President Obama's spending poses for our future. Many Hispanics have sacrificed greatly to help build our country and our economy, and to leave for their children a brighter future. Today, those sacrifices are being squandered by a President who cannot stop spending.

I know how to balance budgets. We balanced our budget in my business, in the Olympics, and every year in my state.

I will put the federal government on a track to a balanced budget by eliminating programs that are not absolutely essential. My test is this–is the program so critical that it is worth borrowing money from China to pay for it?

In addition, I will send a number of programs that have been growing uncontrollably fast back to the states where I will limit their funding to the rate of inflation, or in the case of Medicaid, to inflation plus one percent.

And finally, I will look to sharply increase the productivity of Washington by reducing federal government employment by 10% through attrition, by combining agencies and departments to reduce overhead, and by linking government compensation with that of the private sector. These things combined will reduce spending by $500 billion a year by the end of my first term."

***

"I know small business, not because I studied it in school, but because I lived small business. And I know that small businesses are being crushed by President Obama’s policies. Too often, government regulators treat businesses like the enemy, and they crush them with an avalanche of regulations."

...

"This is at the heart of the difference between President Obama and my vision for the American economy: he wants government to tax more and regulate more because he believes government can do a better job than you can. I believe in you. I believe you can do a better job than government. I believe that you, and that your dreams and freedoms, will build a stronger future for all of us, and for our children. This belief in free people and free enterprises is the American heritage. This is why America has outperformed the world."

***

"Finally, I want to say a word about immigration. Americans may disagree about how to fix our immigration system, but I think we can all agree that it is broken.

For years, Republicans and Democrats seem to have been more interested in playing politics with immigration than with actually fixing it. Candidate Obama said that one of his highest priorities would be to fix immigration in his first year in office. Despite his party having majorities in both house of Congress, the President never even offered up a bill. Like so many issues confronting our nation, when it comes to immigration, politics has been put ahead of people for too long.

We will never achieve a legal immigration system that is fair and efficient if we do not first get control of our borders. I believe we can all agree that what we need are fair and enforceable immigration laws that will stem the flow of illegal immigration, while strengthening legal immigration."

...

"America is a nation of immigrants, and immigration is essential to our economic growth and prosperity."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. Cederico

Empty words...no detailed solutions. This will not get you elected Mr. Romney.

September 17, 2012 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  2. Martin Chiaravalloti

Wow, so the big plan is to complete the big wall? Were Romney to become POTUS, the immigration problem will solve itself by helping the 1% kill off the American dream, Romney would put an end to why people risk their lives to get here; opportunity. No wall needed. His speech sounds more like an economic lecture than an immigration speech. Same old tired sound bytes that mean nothing.

September 17, 2012 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  3. ibsode

Lmao, Romney really think that voters don't have him on record. Is it not the same Romney who was talking about self deportation and praised the Arizona law?
    Romney is really out of idea and desperate, instead of being more specific on his plans (

September 17, 2012 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  4. John Oboho

"what we need are fair and enforceable immigration laws".What Gov. Romney won't say,is that,the Arizona model will be his blueprint.

September 17, 2012 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  5. vc

My goodness, it just seems like he really doesn't have a clue of what he is talking about. It just seems really fake and desperate.

September 17, 2012 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  6. Steve

Hey, Mitt, why don't you share some specifics about your plan? It sounds great that you plan on adding 12,000 jobs to the workforce, but what exactly is in your plan and when will this comprehensive plan be released so the voters can read it and decide for ourselves whether we agree with what you say about turning the economy around.

September 17, 2012 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  7. LL

What he's really saying is "I'm asking for your vote today and I'll figure out how to deport you and your children after the election" when is Mittens going to be truthful?

September 17, 2012 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  8. Cam Spurgeon

This man will do anything, say anything to get his way. He and his running mate are serial liars. and appear to be the best that the GOP can offer. UGH! Go vote, Help your friends and neighbors to vote.

September 17, 2012 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  9. E-Dawg

I believe that Mitt Romney's resume, executive experience, character, and character traits qualify him much more than Barack Obama's muddled on-the-job training, curious past associations, and absence of life accomplishments outside of public speaking and politics.

The media is helping Obama and doing a great disservice to the nation by spreading lies about Romney and not covering all the wonderful things Mitt has done with his own time and his own money and his own sacrifice.

Hopefully all will learn more about the two candidates and make the choice that is right for leaving a good situation for our kids and grand-kids.

September 17, 2012 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  10. John Oboho

"Government supports the job creators,but it cannot take thier place".Isn't Gov. Romney saying the same thing with the President?That government is not responsible for all economic problems?A classical case is Romney himself.He got tax breaks for all the years he was in corporate vanture business.But instead of reinvesting in the economy,he choose to stack his 250M in TAX HEAVENS in Cayman and Swiss banks,investing in China and India,offshoring American jobs,betting against America.Meanwhile,isisting that asking millionaires to pay thier fair share of tax,constitute "avalanche of regulations". As for fixing immigration,I believe HISPANICS remember his "SELF DEPORT" theory;that is,making those who are already "tired of being tired" to be even more "tired of being tired",until they "SELF DEPORT".We all know HISPANICS have the fastest growing number of immigrants in the US,you can guess his major target of "SELF DEPORT" theory.Romney would say anything,do anything,flip-flop,to be president.

September 17, 2012 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  11. Obama 2012- Our only hope

"I will work with Republicans and Democrats to permanently fix our immigration system."

Wow, such leadership. And what is his plan? It seems that the only detail he will give is "I will work with congress...", but he won't share what he wants to do with the voters. Perhaps he thinks that it sounds good to say that he will fix the problem, but is afraid to go into any details on how it will be fixed because he doesn't know how to do it.

September 17, 2012 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  12. ucheu

As usual Romney ratlling on and on with many eloquent words but in the end he said nothing tangible.

September 17, 2012 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  13. ddblah

I have seen middle class, those who make $200K to $250K per year, makes less than $200K.

September 17, 2012 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  14. tammyk tammy

Eliminating 10% of fed gov't jobs thru attrition and reducing salaries. Yeah Romneyhood, those type of steps are really going to lower the unemployment rate and cause wages to grow. I hope young people fully understand the concept of attrition - it means that as older workers retire or die off, the job vacany is not filled. Therefore you'd better start working on your small business plan college grads because there won't be any of those good gov't jobs available under Mitten's plan. He seems to think the answer to all of our economic woes is to ask your mom & dad for a loan and start a small business because it worked for him. What he's not telling you is that your parents are not millionaires like his daddy and they are probably already strapped for cash after helping you get thru school and that many, many small businesses fail leaving the owners in debt or bankruptcy.

September 17, 2012 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  15. Jean2

Romney will say any thing and he forgets that some of us have been listening and remember. A few months ago in the debates he suggested "SELF DEPORTATION". He was not for the DREAM act..
    At that time he said that the poor is being provided foor and doing OKAY.
    The question is "WHAT IS THE TRUTH FROM THIS CANIDATE??

September 17, 2012 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  16. anonoymous

Still nothing specfic....Not a fan of wait and see. He has a plan but he knows the midle class wont like it. OBAMA 2012

September 17, 2012 03:33 am at 3:33 am |
  17. Mtheumer

anyone else see in there HOW he would accomplish this?

September 17, 2012 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  18. JM

This is another one of those "trust me" statements.

September 17, 2012 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  19. Milton K. Wiah

How? self deport, killing dream act. This man is real story.

September 17, 2012 04:13 am at 4:13 am |
  20. Fortinbras

I understand all the concern about government spending. And spending should be cut by at least 400 billion dollars anually. What I have a huge problem with is tax havens, tax loopholes, and tax cuts! We owe 16 trillion dollars!! At most, the Laffer curve will only be able to pay the interest on the money already owed.

September 17, 2012 04:27 am at 4:27 am |
  21. charles

Ok. Robmey I have heard you time and time again saying you will fix everything.What America want to know is how, policies please. We know what Obama did and didn't so I want to know your version .Until then its all useless talk. Don't tell me we are going for trickle down economy or. George Bush doctrine please.

September 17, 2012 05:00 am at 5:00 am |
  22. RDM3

More pipe dreams and no details............Just give it a rest Mitt.....Face it, you and I both will need a ticket to get into the White House......

September 17, 2012 05:14 am at 5:14 am |
  23. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Too late. Mitt the twit is not qualified to be President.

September 17, 2012 05:19 am at 5:19 am |
  24. Jake in Omaha

Willard show us the tax returns. The American people want to know if you are cheating on your taxes.

So you want to permanently fix our immigration system. Tell me Willard just how are you going to deport 13-16 million illegals currently living in this country? What are you going to do with the American born children of the illegals currently living this country.

September 17, 2012 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  25. Kakete John

I did not really read any substance addressing the issue of immigration to the satisfaction of the Hispanics other than more and more enforcable immigration laws. Under Romney I see increased vigorous activity by ICE, a ripping apart of families of immigrants, and accelerated deportation for flimsy reasons. So Hispanics/Latonos/Latinas should not hve much hope in Romney immigration policies/fixing. The plan is to fix them out.

September 17, 2012 06:02 am at 6:02 am |