Excerpts: Romney vows to 'permanently fix our immigration system'
September 17th, 2012

Excerpts: Romney vows to 'permanently fix our immigration system'

(CNN) - GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney is scheduled to address the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Monday in Los Angeles. Below are excepts of his speech released by his campaign.

"During the course of this campaign I have traveled across our country. I have seen people who have fallen into poverty, people who are living paycheck to paycheck, people who are tired of being tired.

Over 23 million Americans are out of work, underemployed, or have just quit looking for a job. The number of people on food stamps has risen by almost 15 million since President Obama took office.

Median household income has fallen for four years in a row.

Seeing such a poor jobs and income picture, the Federal Reserve has announced that it will once again print more money. The Fed knows this comes with a high cost and risk for the future, but it feels it has no choice: Our leaders in Washington have failed to produce a real recovery.

No one is exempt from the pain of this economy, but the Hispanic community has been particularly hard hit. While national unemployment is 8.1 percent, Hispanic unemployment is over 10 percent. Over two million more Hispanics are living in poverty today than the day President Obama took office.

In 2008, candidate Obama promised us a world of limitless hope. What we got instead is a world where hope has painful limits - limits that make it harder to start a business, to grow a business, or to find a job."

***

"I expected the President, at his convention, to talk about the unemployed and to unveil a jobs plan. Astonishingly, he did not. I have a plan, and my plan for a stronger middle class will create 12 million jobs by the end of my first term. And it will raise take home pay.

My plan is premised on the conviction that it is freedom that drives our economy–that free people, creating free enterprises, is what creates good jobs with good wages. Government supports the job creators, but it cannot take their place."

...

"[W]e must cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget. I believe that it is immoral for us to continue to spend more than we take in, to pass massive debts on to our children.

I'd like to spend some time talking about this issue in particular. As businessmen and women, and as Hispanics, you understand the threat President Obama's spending poses for our future. Many Hispanics have sacrificed greatly to help build our country and our economy, and to leave for their children a brighter future. Today, those sacrifices are being squandered by a President who cannot stop spending.

I will put the federal government on a track to a balanced budget by eliminating programs that are not absolutely essential. My test is this–is the program so critical that it is worth borrowing money from China to pay for it?

In addition, I will send a number of programs that have been growing uncontrollably fast back to the states where I will limit their funding to the rate of inflation, or in the case of Medicaid, to inflation plus one percent.

And finally, I will look to sharply increase the productivity of Washington by reducing federal government employment by 10% through attrition, by combining agencies and departments to reduce overhead, and by linking government compensation with that of the private sector. These things combined will reduce spending by $500 billion a year by the end of my first term."

***

"I know small business, not because I studied it in school, but because I lived small business. And I know that small businesses are being crushed by President Obama’s policies. Too often, government regulators treat businesses like the enemy, and they crush them with an avalanche of regulations."

...

"This is at the heart of the difference between President Obama and my vision for the American economy: he wants government to tax more and regulate more because he believes government can do a better job than you can. I believe in you. I believe you can do a better job than government. I believe that you, and that your dreams and freedoms, will build a stronger future for all of us, and for our children. This belief in free people and free enterprises is the American heritage. This is why America has outperformed the world."

***

"Finally, I want to say a word about immigration. Americans may disagree about how to fix our immigration system, but I think we can all agree that it is broken.

For years, Republicans and Democrats seem to have been more interested in playing politics with immigration than with actually fixing it. Candidate Obama said that one of his highest priorities would be to fix immigration in his first year in office. Despite his party having majorities in both house of Congress, the President never even offered up a bill. Like so many issues confronting our nation, when it comes to immigration, politics has been put ahead of people for too long.

I will work with Republicans and Democrats to permanently fix our immigration system.

We will never achieve a legal immigration system that is fair and efficient if we do not first get control of our borders. I believe we can all agree that what we need are fair and enforceable immigration laws that will stem the flow of illegal immigration, while strengthening legal immigration."

...

"America is a nation of immigrants, and immigration is essential to our economic growth and prosperity."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. n

"I know how to balance budgets. We balanced our budget in my business, in the Olympics, and every year in my state." I accomplished this by using the free Federal Government big money hand out. " This is why I can't show my taxes for the last 12 years, this is why I shredded The Salt Lake City Olympics financial documents and last but not least, This is why at the end of my turn as Governor, of which, I was missing in action most of my tenure there, I purchase all the computers used doing my term and destroyed the hard drives. So in closing, I can say almost anything about my past pseudo accomplishment without fear of my lie being challenged." Oh what a tangled web!

September 17, 2012 06:04 am at 6:04 am |
  2. Don

Let me guess. With a secret plan that he can only divulge after getting elected. Show me the taxes.

September 17, 2012 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  3. incredulous

How many small businesses ceased to exist because of Romney?

September 17, 2012 06:23 am at 6:23 am |
  4. Marie MD

Hey twit, you have had plenty of time to talk to US about your plans and solutions. You are all about talking point but no substance (just like yourself).
    Why don't you tell the middle class who have worked VERY hard for a home that one of your plans is to do away with being able to claim interest paid on their mortgage? Of course not. That would really throw the dirt on your coffin and bury you from ever running for president again.
    As far as immigration if your grandaddy couldn't have moved to Mexico to have all those wives and kids your woudln't be here. Too bad the Mexican government allowed him to stay in Mexico where your daddy was born. Remember?

September 17, 2012 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  5. johnmenacherjr

What a partisan lode. These two are just for the party not the Republic. Its interesting how they throw names and lie then say the other person is doing it. Reminds me of two brats on a playgound! I think they both need to go to the Cayman Islands and never be heard from again!

September 17, 2012 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  6. Obama2012

Get ready because Romney's plan to create "12 million jobs" will be by deporting 12 million illegals. So get ready to apply for that dishwasher job or hotel room maid or janitor or landscaper....

September 17, 2012 06:43 am at 6:43 am |
  7. Gurgyl

Self deport? Watch out these India guys– after visa expiry–they are not going back–they are calling brides on student visa, visitor vis–getting married, producing kids to citizenship. System abused. Deport.

September 17, 2012 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  8. Ricardo

Mitt what about the self deportation u support in the primary, hypocrite. We don't forget all the crap you r talking in the primary.now sweet talk

September 17, 2012 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  9. wigglwagon

"This belief in free people and free enterprises is the American heritage. This is why America has outperformed the world."

WOW! Apparently, Mr. Romney knows very little American history. For the last 30 years, the free market, free trade deregulators have been getting their way and consequently, we are broke.

If Mr. Romney's theory of prosperity is correct, why did America build the biggest, most prosperous economy the world has ever seen while government regulation of business was at it's peak? Why did America build the biggest, most prosperous economy the world has ever seen while nearly 40% of the work force was union? If Romney and Obama are right when they claim we need more free trade agreements, why did we prosper when the balance of trade was equal? Romney's 'plan' is just more of the same old trickle down nonsense that we always hear from the super rich who will say and do anything to increase profits by paying lower wages.

Step number 1 toward prosperity is to charge manufacturers for using the American consumer market to sell their goods and services. It makes absolutely no sense to allow companies to make their profits off the US market but pay absolutely nothing to support that market. That is, it makes no sense unless you are one of the owners of those companies.

September 17, 2012 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  10. 200 TON HAMMER

I promise too fixed my flip floppingitis just trust me dont you trust me middleclass familys

September 17, 2012 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  11. jane

Robme is in panic mode....

September 17, 2012 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  12. artraveler

Lots of words but no immigratioon plan and there won't be one as long as the Tea Party runs the GOTP House. The problem, Mittens, is your party and their refusal to work on anything. BTW, the House worked 4 days after 5 weeks of vacation and then went on vacation again. Would you haver someone with a work history like that in any of your companies that you destroyed? Why don't you suggest that they get paid by the work day and see how much money the government would save? Reduce their staffs to 4 each? The House doesn't want Americans to have medical coverage or retirement where they have a Cadillac healthcare plan and get retirement on day #1 in office-why?

September 17, 2012 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  13. Gurgyl

I think we need to reduce immigration visas even to India and all Muslim nations.

September 17, 2012 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  14. Thomas

Sounds like Mitt and his job creators want the market to them selfs , only making money off of goverment .

Romney , your all talk.

September 17, 2012 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  15. yoyoma

...as in the final solution, der fuhrer?

September 17, 2012 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  16. wgf

"I know how to balance budgets. We balanced our budget in my business, "

I wonder if, when balancing his business budget, Mitt Romney took the position that he must never increase revenues. If so, he's not much of a business man. But that is the Republican position, and their insistance on that position is what precipated the debt ceiling crisis, prevented a deal on debt reduction, and created the financial fiscal cliff. The Republicans want to fix the debt problem by dealing with ONLY one side of the ledger. For all of their self-proclaimed econmic expertise, they are nothing more than a tradesman who has left half his tools at home. The Democrats are the only ones looking at this problem responsibly.

September 17, 2012 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  17. Mike

Typical for Mitt – talks a lot, but says nothing.

September 17, 2012 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  18. mississippi

Hello he's flopping want people to think he said some flopping s..t like that ! No way in hello ! Lie 105%

September 17, 2012 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  19. jeff

Some detail but not enough. Romney and obama speak in short talking points. Neither give very detailed plans. Why can't a demicrat or republican win the white house and then govern using both parties ideas. They should not lean towards their party. There are around 350 million people in usa and obama won with 50 million votes. Who as president speaks and governs for the 300 million people who didn't or are not eligible to vote

September 17, 2012 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  20. BOB FROM BRIDGEPORT

As a American of Hispanic heritage and as a struggling member of the vanishing middle class my position with the romney, ryan ticket is that whatever side of the the issues these gentleman take -the poor and the hungry will not be a factor in their equations. I cannot imagine a situation that would ever allow me to partner with these individauls knowing their deep seated disdain for the under class in our society and those struggling to make ends meet. I find it extremely difficult to even sit througth all the empty promises that these suits spew out to the American public expecting that we are all buying the nonsense -that we are too ignorant to do the math-that we can not see that what they are proposing will never add up to a hill of beans.I rather go down in flame fighting for what i beleive than to be led to the slaughter house by these dream theives.

September 17, 2012 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  21. Kevin

I hope he plans on telling us how he will do it. and I feel like addressing the president as "Candidate Obama" is kind of disrespectful. Like him or not he is the president

September 17, 2012 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  22. w l jones

Some people have forgotten there were twenty million people work on farm for free another fifteen million work part time and millions more work under the table in other word they work for himself but never employed.The later still going on to day.

September 17, 2012 07:57 am at 7:57 am |