Romney addresses Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
September 17th, 2012

Romney addresses Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

Los Angeles, California (CNN) – Mitt Romney reached out to Hispanic voters Monday in a speech tailored to the growing Latino community, offering a new veneer on long-standing campaign policies.

The speech came hours after a top aide to the GOP presidential candidate said Romney would focus more on policy specifics in the 50 days that remain before Election Day.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The aide, senior adviser Ed Gillespie, said Romney would put "new emphasis" on the specifics of what he would do as president, beginning with the Monday remarks.

"I'm convinced that the Republican Party is the rightful home of Hispanic-Americans," Romney told an audience of 1,400 business leaders at the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce conference in Los Angeles.

He vowed to pursue policies that would help Hispanics, such as expanding trade with Latin America and offering school choice to lower-income students, and derided President Obama's actions on immigration reform as "playing politics."

"Like so many issues confronting our nation, when it comes to immigration, politics has been put ahead of people for too long," Romney said. "I will work with Republicans and Democrats to permanently fix our immigration system."

In a morning interview with Telemundo, Romney brushed off concerns about infighting among his top advisers that was first reported by Politico.

"I've got a terrific campaign," he said. "My senior campaign people work extraordinarily well together. I work well with them. Our campaign is doing well."

Romney's Los Angeles speech to the convention was preceded almost immediately by a video address from Obama, who framed the election as a choice between two paths and criticized Romney on the immigration stance he had taken during the Republican primaries.

The GOP candidate, in turn, swiped the president in his remarks over a just-filed White House complaint on China's trade policies.

Romney stepped up his criticism of Obama's dealings with China late last week, both on the stump and with a campaign advertisement.

"If I'd known that all it took to get him to take action was to run an ad citing his inaction on China's cheating, I would have run one long ago," Romney said.

Filed under: 2012 • California • Immigration • Latinos • Mitt Romney
  1. truth hurts

=========================================================================================

I believe you call this MAILING IT IN. Take about taking the hispanic vote for granted! Just like the black vote I guess. Obama threw them their biscuit and that's the end of it. How nice.

September 17, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Evergreen

He was for Arizona's immigration law before he was against it...when will see the real Romney...is this the real Romney?

September 17, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Mittens' speech begins : "Dos tacos, amigos! Buenos Nachos my self deporting friends. I outsourced many jobs to Mexico."

September 17, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  4. myviewis

Obama begins working after Romney tells us what he will do as President. I think Obama is just waiting on Romney to give him direction because Obama has no idea what to do next. The country is in chaos and Obama is in over his head.

September 17, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. cali girl

The only reaching out he has done is put his son in front of a cue card and told him to speak Spanish on a commercial.
    Just like he sends out Ann to talk to the women because Robmey can't be bothered.

September 17, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. Gurgyl

"self-deportations" are in my agenda.

September 17, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  7. Wake up People!

Pandering once again..... Liar, liar, pants on fire!

September 17, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. myviewis

Wire Palladin, S. F.
    I outsourced many jobs to Mexico
    ----------------------------

If that were true that would actually make Hispanics happy because they would want their relatives to have jobs in their home country.

Hispanics know that jobs back home are important since they don't have a definite Yes from Obama on immigration and they might have to go back.

September 17, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  9. truth hurts

This address was to the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, business people. I'm sure that after 4 years of Obama in the Whitehouse there are far fewer of them than there were even last year. Obama is anti-business and that has been made very clear. To Obama, they are just a piggy bank to be squeezed to fund his leftist programs.

September 17, 2012 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. My Vote Is Not For Sale

Go to you tube Romney exposed and read Mother Jones. The text from a speech Romney gave was taped. Romney made racist comments about Latinos and African Americans. He said 47% of our country are freeloaders looking for a government handout because we support President Obama. It is such a disgusting video about our fellow Americans. He also has people doing ads that worked for The Israel Prime Minister a friend of Romney's and other people involved in foreign politics. Romney has no soul, no core and I don't know how anyone that loves our country can vote for Romney. Romney cares about himself and not our country. Being President for Romney is just a status symbol has nothing to do with us and what we need as a country.

September 17, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  11. Bill

I guess he still has not learned to keep his mouth shut. Between the incessant flip-flops, blatent lies and inability to hold the same position on any issue, he only digs the hole deeper. Not to mention his self-deportation doozie. If he wins 25% of this voting segment, he will be lucky. Problem is, he needs to win at least 40% (McCain won 34 or 35% and lost) to have any chance in this election and that will never happen folks. Last poll was 72% to 27% in favor of the president. Goodbye Mittens.

September 17, 2012 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  12. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Give it a rest "hurts". Obama has a job and Mittens is unemployed.

September 17, 2012 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  13. eavesdrop

Message to all go to Yahoo and listen to Romney on tape !!

September 17, 2012 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  14. carlos

myviewis..........give it up man, I don't think you are a legitimate human being, and I am being nice. UGH

September 17, 2012 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  15. Wire Palladin, S. F.

myview – Thanks for giving the talking points from Fox foreign owned media. I think Mittens wants to self deport you Europeans as well, so be careful.

September 17, 2012 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  16. ghostriter

Maybe Romney can get Cheech Marin to give him an endorsement.

September 17, 2012 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  17. W.G.

Ha HA Ha !! What a joke . The republicans have tried ti kick Latinos out of the country , they´ve tried to
    deny Latino´s their voting rights , they´re raising their taxes to pay for millionaire´s welfare . The last thing
    a Latino needs to do is vote for the republican criminals .

September 17, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. Tree

Romney will send them home without any food or water.......

September 17, 2012 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  19. RH

Adios Amigo Romney. Your about a life time to late

September 17, 2012 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  20. Nuance

Well, under the "false prophet", they "will have" to go back myviewis...

September 17, 2012 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  21. once upon a horse

the main Hispanic support Mitt Romney will get is from Cuban Americans because they ALWAYS vote Republican.....other than that the ones he suggested have family here that should "self-deport" I doubt if they will be pulling the R lever in Nov.

September 17, 2012 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  22. Anonymous

From what I saw of his speech, it was pretty much the same boiler plate he's been peddling all along. I guess in terms of specifics, he specifically didn't mention self-deportation.

I guess since Mitt is finally realizing he's screwed, it's time to pander to Latinos in a last ditch effort to get votes. It's sad to see the pander bear in action.

September 17, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  23. sherylnn

Pres.Obama don't need any lead from Mitt to know what to do.The white man have always stolen everything from the black man;from his music,style,dancing,etc "u know what I mean."Obama is nobody dummy & that's what driving you people crazy.He deserve to be in the white...we built that!! Get over it,whites are the monority. Black & Brown is running these United States of America.Maybe yall can clean,iron & mop our floors.

September 17, 2012 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  24. John Koom

When Romney tells the truth please let me know , I'll be waiting... and waiting and waiting . He will say anything to get a vote ,within one hour he'll totally contradict himself . " I don't remember what I said but whatever it was that I said I stand by what I said ."
    Any minority voting for Mitt and the Republicon racist party , would be a fool . Any middle class or lower income American voting Republicon is making a big mistake , no matter what race they are . If you're very very wealthy and money is all you care about , vote Republicon .

September 17, 2012 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |