Letterman: No hard feelings toward Romney
September 19th, 2012

Letterman: No hard feelings toward Romney

(CNN) - Late night comedian David Letterman says he isn't upset with Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

Rather, he feels sorry for him.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I don't hate Mitt," Letterman said, referencing secretly-recorded comments Romney made at a fundraiser.

In the video posted online by left-leaning magazine Mother Jones, Romney talks about appearing on evening shows.

"I've been on Letterman a couple of times. I've been on Leno more than a couple times, and now Letterman hates me because I've been on Leno more than [on] him," Romney says. "They're very jealous of one another, as you know."

President Barack Obama, appearing on Letterman's show Tuesday, criticized Romney for other comments the candidate made in the fundraiser.

In an online advance clip of his Wednesday program, Letterman made light of the comments and invites Romney to appear on his show.

"I think now more than ever he and his lovely wife, Mrs. Mitt are more than welcome to come on the show," Letterman said. "If you think you're going to get to the White House, you've got to spend time in this chair."

He made a jab at his fellow late-night comedian, saying that he doesn't hate Romney for his appearances on Leno, because "why hate a guy who's suffered through that?"
Letterman also sized up the industry.

Television comedians, he joked, are "very jealous and bitter and backbiting... unlike politics."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. NameTerry

Mitt Romney's statements just keep getting worse. He would have better served himself to say sorry and shut up. His arrogance is so far reaching he thinks Late Night hosts hate him and are jealous because he went on Leno more than Letterman. That's so stupid. I bet that's why he thinks Chelsea Handler doesn't care for him. . Sounds like he's burned a few brain cells or has some major paranoid issues. I am definitely voting for Obama. Mitt needs random drug testing or something to keep him from talking at all Perhaps a muzzle. . God Bless America.

September 20, 2012 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  2. Chuck

Who is Letterman?

September 20, 2012 03:28 am at 3:28 am |
  3. MakesSense

If Romney were to appear on Letterman, it would finally be funny. Because Mitt is a joke.

September 20, 2012 03:29 am at 3:29 am |
  4. Jeff

McCain's candidacy bit it the day he cancelled on Letterman. Fact. Romney better book an appearance pronto.

September 20, 2012 04:59 am at 4:59 am |
  5. Pizza

Shake the etch-a-sketch, Mitt.

September 20, 2012 05:26 am at 5:26 am |
  6. I Luv Obma

More hard hitting news from CNN

September 20, 2012 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  7. A Kickin` Donkey

I`d like him to go on Letterman and have Dave ask him what a "dirty bomb" is because he DOES NOT seem to know. Furthermore, I want to know why he`s given terrorism advice to the Iranians!

Mitt isn`t ready to be Commander-in-Chief. Probaly can`t spell USMC.

September 20, 2012 06:22 am at 6:22 am |
  8. oklahomabarry

David Letterman has a fabulous sense of humor and a tenacious, probing interview style many find unnerving. Mitt comes off looking deceptive each time he appears on Letterman's show. No wonder he does the Tonight show more. Jay is more apt to let his remarks pass unchallenged.

September 20, 2012 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  9. johnmenacherjr

What the heck was this even about??? None of it has a shread of connection with the actual world in our country. I say country I am not referring to the aloof arrogant Republican partisans. No matter what angle these dogs spin is on this socalled "gaffe" I will never forget ti! Don't care about your British editorial or whatever justification the rich thugs ciome up with . These are selfish and just basically evil liars.

September 20, 2012 06:30 am at 6:30 am |
  10. Bob

And for alexithymic Mitt, the hits just keep on coming. How totally stupid was it for Mitt to have said that and end up losing future dates on Letterman's show?

September 20, 2012 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  11. Gurgyl

The entire nation feels sorry nevertheless he is not fit for POTUS, because he wants to represent top 1% of the riches that ship jobs to china, India and that stash money in cayman islands, Bermuda, Swiss accounts to evade taxes and that makes fraud on tax, Medicare, immigration and that uses illegal labor, and that has no ethics, yes, David, you are right–all this nation feels your way–sorry for these GOP guys. Enough.

September 20, 2012 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  12. obama is Out Of Touch with reality

all the late night hosts are just that, obama mouth pieces run by a liberal organization and dont know what the word truth means, shame some people stay up late to watch them.

September 20, 2012 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  13. Marshal

From what I see, Romney's biggest enemy is his own mouth.

September 20, 2012 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  14. Namejkane sfl a vote for the gop will cut your moms medicare and soc sec .can you afford to pay for them???

I don't feel sorry for an ego manic who thinks he's better than everybody else ,unfit to be president!!!!!!!!!!

September 20, 2012 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  15. CJPA

I don't know, Dave. Maybe you should have him and Paul Ryan on to try and explain their "makers and takers" philosophy. Wouldn't that be fun??!! They are so unabashedly blatant in their disdain and contempt for hard working people, I would love to see you make them squirm! (Mitt probably won't bring Ann because, to paraphase, he is "using her sparingly so people won't get tired of her!")

September 20, 2012 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  16. rs1201

Letterman is a reprehensible man who has made his career out of ridiculing and attacking anyone in his sights just to get a laugh...the very definition of reprehensible!!!

September 20, 2012 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  17. HOLY TIGHTY WHITIES WILLARD

We don't hate the guy. We just think he's severely out of touch.

September 20, 2012 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  18. JR

I tried but I just can't give a rat's behind what Letterman thinks. Sorry.

September 20, 2012 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  19. Gary

Hey what Romney thinks is very clear. Some of us just needed to see him in action to see the light. Not me. I saw what he is and how all the Republicans turned away in 2007. Hey, still the same guy folks. It's just what rich guy you guys ended up with this time. I think there are more Republicans not liking this guy that FOX non-news admits. Well, FOX non-news is just the Republican propaganda machine. The truth escapes them and the manufacture stories every single night so. Romney is a fake Dave so don’t bother getting him in that chair. Hey, take it from Client and leave it empty. A rich fake, but still a fake, stiff and shallow super white man with all white rich friends. We will be in a war so his pals can make even more money within his first 6 months if he gets in. I already know this, but for the Republicans, just watch the debates. I bet Romney walks off stage in embarrassment.

September 20, 2012 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  20. Jonsie

Really? Who cares who Letterman likes or dislikes? He's a comedian that isn't all that funny or bright. He makes fun of people for money. Why do the Hollywood types think we are interested in their opinions? Don't get it.

September 20, 2012 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  21. GI Joe

How can anyone feel sorry for a vulture??

September 20, 2012 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  22. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Here comes that "hate" word again... I think you're projecting, Mitt....

September 20, 2012 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  23. FedUp

I don't "hate" Letterman either. Just can't stand him and I do watch Leno.

September 20, 2012 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  24. Rudy NYC

I hope some of you in the right wing are listening to how pathetic Mitt Romney sounds saying, "he's jealous." It comes across the same way when he criticizes liberals for "being jealous" of his wealth. Can you say, "arrogant"?

September 20, 2012 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  25. Rudy NYC

rs1201 – wrote:

-----------------–
    That is actually a very good definiition of a Republican. Will ridicule and attack anyone in their sights just to get ahead.

September 20, 2012 08:32 am at 8:32 am |