Romney: Yes, 'I can'
September 19th, 2012

Romney: Yes, 'I can'

Atlanta (CNN) – Mitt Romney fought back Wednesday after two of the most difficult days of his campaign, and argued Wednesday "I can" do more for the poor and middle class than President Obama.

In a speech to donors in Atlanta the GOP presidential nominee seemed to address concerns he had written off some voters during a May fund-raiser, when he said 47% of voters are dependent on government and unlikely to support his campaign.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Since that leaked video broke Monday, Romney has stood by his remarks but called them "not elegantly stated."

On Wednesday Romney took a new tack, setting up a comparison between himself and President Obama.

"The question of this campaign is not who cares about the poor and the middle class? I do. He does," Romney said in a fiery address that came as the leaked videos topped headlines for the third day. "The question is who can help the poor and the middle class? I can! He can't!"

The Republican candidate renewed his criticism of the president over another opposition-leaked video, this time of Obama. The 1998 tape shows the then-state senator endorsing "redistribution."

"I know there are some who believe that if you simply take from some and give to others then we'll all be better off. It's known as redistribution. It's never been a characteristic of America," Romney said. "There's a tape that came out just a couple of days ago where the president said yes he believes in redistribution. I don't."

Romney has continued a fund-raising heavy schedule this week, with donor events in California, Utah, Texas and Georgia. He will address voters in a public campaign event in Florida Wednesday evening.

Also see:

- Eastwood: If they were 'dumb enough to ask me…'

- In new tape, Romney casts doubt on peace in Israel

- Obama camp wastes no time highlighting Romney tapes

- Hatch might 'die before his term' ends, opponent charges

- Biden on Romney tape: 'words speak for themselves'

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. DumbasRocks [R]s

anagram_kid: the key to your conundrum about RealityBites simplistic view of economics is that RealityBites is NOT an adult. You merely assumed he was, but he clearly tests-out at a 3rd grade level.

September 19, 2012 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

"Romney said in a fiery address that came as the leaked videos topped headlines for the third day."

Someone needs to chill out in the Romney camp. This man is over-excited and starting to lash out, showing yet again he isn't presidential material.

He said what he said ...and I believe what he said ... is what he meant to say - DURING ALL OF THE TAPE.

September 19, 2012 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. DumbasRocks [R]s

I think we've heard this type of lie before - "I can" do more for the poor and middle class.

It was when Hitler said - "I can" do more for the Jews.

September 19, 2012 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. Wake up People!

No Willard, you can't. Can someone SANE please correct me if I'm wrong but, when President Obama said redistribute the wealth, I didn't think he meant to take money from people that earned it and give it to those that didn't. I was under the assumption that he meant everyone, not just the rich, should be able to go to college and make something of themselves. That this privilege is not just for the rich but everyone. That everyone should have a fair chance of getting into the 1% club.

All I know is November 6th can't get here soon enough for me.......

September 19, 2012 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. JustAO

In the past 30 years, 85% of ALL household income in America goes to only the top .1% of the population (400 people). How do you argue that this is fair in our society and they (top 2%) shouldn't pay more in taxes? The distribution of wealth goes to the top and so should the tax burden. This income inequality was similar before the Great Depression when you guessed it, conservative lawmakers wrote laws to benefit only the rich in this country.

Does anyone need a source of this information, read a little bit and find out for yourself (i.e. Congressional Budget Office or Michael I. Norton, Harvard Business School; Dan Ariely, Duke University? People actually do the work to study this topic so stop listening to idiots on Fox News or congressman who don't study any of this and still have nerve to write laws to tell us otherwise.

September 19, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. ExRepublican

Romney look crazy he got to be kidding I am laughing so hard.
    Romney you dont like poor people or middle class.
    Romney running scare.

September 19, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. Kef14

Romney said it's not his job to look after anyone that doesn't pay income tax. I guess this means he is going above and beyond his job? Good man! I'm sure his multi-millionaire and billionaire donors will give him a tiny raise for the extra effort...as long as helping those poor losers doesn't mean they have to contribute in any way.

September 19, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. Random Poster

Anagram_kid wrote – I find it simply amazing that there are adults that STILL don’t get that.

---

Managing debt.. same basic concept between state and business. A business with too high of debt will be strangled by the cost of financing it. A government with too high of debt will be strangled by the cost of financing it.

Costs vs revenue. A business that charges too much for it's products will ultimately see it's revenue streams decrease. A government that taxes too much will ultimately see it's taxable revenue decrease.

The two aren't the exact same thing, but business is as close a comparison as you can get to government.

September 19, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  9. Marie MD

Give it up twit. You are toast. Maybe some of those southern rednecks (retirees receiving social security, medicare, medicaid from the government) who hate anyone but their own class, sort of like you, will wake up to realize that they are part of that 47% you so disdain.
    That yes, I can, sounds a bit like yes, we can from 2008, remember? When the old man from AZ thought that the AK mutant was a better vp candidate? The podium is as skewed as you and your campaign are. Great photo! :)

September 19, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. Mack

Middle class to him is 200k – 250k so yes I do believe he will help them by lowering their taxes and then raisiing the taxes of the REAL middle-class to pay for it.

September 19, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"I find it amazing that there are still people that are unable to understand the similarities between the operation of good business and a good government."

Name me a business owner with fixed expenses who is meeting thos expenses, but who voluntarily decreases his revenue without first reducing his expenses.

September 19, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Would you look at that! Mitt Romney now begging for votes from the lower class he was so contemptuous of a few months back.

September 19, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  13. Squigman

No you can't.

September 19, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. DumbasRocks [R]s

I hope someone in the [R] party is smart enough to send Willard the following telegram: "The sight of your self-administered political enemas, in full view of the public, day-after-day-after-day, is unseemly and odorous STOP The fact that you use thicker and thicker enema hoses as the days progress is quite mind-bogglingly stupid STOP So just STOP STOP"

September 19, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. 1twinsfan

I predict by the last wk of the election cycle, Romney will be stomping his feet and screaming "but I'm the rich, white guy!"

September 19, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. Mack

He really does care this time. He's willing to bet $10,000!

September 19, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  17. Gurgyl

Me, but we can't!!!!!

September 19, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  18. Steve- Illinois

"Name me a business owner with fixed expenses who is meeting thos expenses"

Meeting those expenses? Since when? Or is your country in fantasyland?

September 19, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  19. Cam Spurgeon

The man is a tax evader through and through and needs to release his taxes. No one is talking about redistribution and he well knows it. I am worried for our country if we let someone like this in. just He is looking pretty angry and needs to mellow out or see a Dr.

September 19, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  20. vic , nashville ,tn

Mitt we don’t trust you

September 19, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. alicia

Listen to the words that are coming out of my mouth mittens.. just b/c you and your cronies decide to counter your crazy truth moment video with a 15 year old video doesn't mean it counter balances your outrageous words. Stop lying and twisting and keep standing by your comments because this 53%'er will not be voting for you.

September 19, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. Suzanne

Yes, he can - but, will he? NO!

September 19, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. annette

oh no you can't!!!!!!!! so far mitt you cannot be trusted with anything you say anymore.

September 19, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. FactCheck

"Hey Mitt, can you shut the lights off on your way out from your empty campaign headquarters?"
    "Yes I can"

"Hey Mitt, can you believe that the President is nearing a double digit lead in your own home state?"
    "Yes I can"

"Hey Mitt, can you send America back to the Bush economy where the middle class was funding the wealth of the 1%"
    "Yes I can"

You betcha!

September 19, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  25. Dr Me

I trust Mitt, He will redistribute the wealth from the poor making under $200,000/yr to the hands of the job creators. Whats wrong with Mitt? Hes a successful business man shouldn't he be rewarded?

September 19, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |