Romney’s ‘47%’ comments gain more Facebook buzz than his RNC speech
September 19th, 2012

Romney’s ‘47%’ comments gain more Facebook buzz than his RNC speech

(CNN) - The secretly recorded and recently released clips of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney are gaining more momentum on Facebook than Romney’s speech at the Republican National Convention.

According to Facebook data provided to CNN, Mitt Romney’s remarks that some 47% of voters would not support him because of their government dependence ranked a 5.1 on the Facebook “Talk Meter” scale on Monday, which assigns a number to a person or event's magnitude on a 1-10 scale.

– Follow CNN on Facebook

This is a touch higher than he had scored the night of his August 30 speech at the RNC in Tampa, Florida (5.04) and also a touch higher than Michelle Obama’s speech at the Democratic National Convention on September 4 (5.06). It falls below Hurricane Isaac (5.24), the NFL season opener (6.41), the MTV Video Music Awards (6.67), Bill Clinton’s speech at the DNC (7.08), and President Obama’s convention speech (7.28).

The comment seems to have resonated the most with men over the age of 35. Women between ages 55-64 were also buzzing about this, the data showed.

On Monday, secretly recorded clips of Romney speaking at a campaign fund-raiser were posted to the website of left-leaning magazine Mother Jones, including a clip of Romney characterizing Obama supporters as dependent on government support systems.

"There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney says in one clip. Adding to his argument about entitlement, Romney said his "job is not to worry about those people."

Top 10 places buzzing about Romney’s remarks:
1. DC
2. Oregon
3. Washington
4. Massachusetts
5. California
6. Virginia
7. Vermont
8. Idaho
9. Nevada
10. Maryland

The Facebook data isn’t scientific and doesn’t measure sentiment, but provide a glimpse into which topics are gaining the most steam among Facebook's 160 million U.S. users.

For more raw data on who is discussing the candidates on Facebook, check out the Facebook CNN Election Insights tool at www.cnn.com/fbinsights.

Filed under: 2012 • Facebook
  1. Thomas

More hits then a dancing horse !

September 19, 2012 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  2. Andrea Sharp

Romney can not clean up the statement he made. Half the country is a victim and irresponsible and want to be government dependent because they don't pay taxes and he can't be concerned with these people. Wow what do You Call companies like GE which paid no taxes.

September 19, 2012 03:28 am at 3:28 am |
  3. bassman

Compare how our media treats Mitt Romney's comment and Pres.Obama saying ""I Actually Believe In Redistribution" and you will understand why Republicans think our media is in the tank for Pres.Obama.

September 19, 2012 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  4. charlesName

I dare romney to look at me as a free loader. I have payed taxes all my life. And I can see how he thinks of us hard working. & those in need. I want my medicare & S.S. I have payed for it not the government. So I say no to romney!!!

September 19, 2012 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  5. Ayala the Great!

Wait! Why do you not talk about Obama's comments about wealth redistribution? This is a major issue!

September 19, 2012 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  6. T-roy

Keep telling yourselves it is going to be okay. 48 days from now you will be wondering "how did this happen? The polls said my guy was going to win."

September 19, 2012 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  7. Armyvet129

It's only getting more buzz on the Democrat news sites. Romney clarified his statement yesterday and stood by it. You can agree or disagree but that's the end of the story. Every fact checker site I've looked at says Romney is mathematically correct and offer caveats as to demographics. Those of you in the 47 percent that won't change your minds no matter what should show Romney how wrong he is and vote for him.

September 19, 2012 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  8. Anonymous

oh and not the burning of the flag and the killing of our soldiers and the lying of the president and the strong arming of this adminstration if this is true we are in trouble when the life of a nation stands in the balance and the president goes unnotice

September 19, 2012 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  9. Name Ernest

How many of these 47% have defend our country themselves, children are serving and supported their country & communities honorably.

September 19, 2012 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  10. For Freedom

But what about the gas prices?

September 19, 2012 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  11. susan

I am well educated, a woman, I work hard, and I pay taxes. Why do Thurston Howell III and Lovey hate me so much?

September 19, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  12. Jazz4Life

This may be Romney's single, most damaging gaffe that puts the nail in the coffin.

September 19, 2012 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  13. Fact

Wow!

September 19, 2012 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. GI Joe

Ryan/Romney -- Lying to us for votes.

September 19, 2012 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  15. Randy, San Francisco

Romney spoke from the heart at the meeting with fund raisers which he did not do at the Republican National Convention. It revealed his heart to be cold and unsympathetic to seniors, military families, poor, sick, students,and middle class.

September 19, 2012 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  16. demwit

Count me in.., I"M PART OF THE 47%

September 19, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  17. Lionel

Romney is toast. Just release your taxes and prove us wrong.

September 19, 2012 10:28 am at 10:28 am |